Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: great wall x240

great wall x240

Hi all
    I'm thinking about buying a great wall x240 to tow my cruise craft 510 outsider . Test drove one today and am a bit unsure about the power. Boat ways about 1300 kg and towing capacity is 1800 kg braked . Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these vehicles.

Re: great wall x240

Are they the same 4 cyl mitsubishi engine as in the utes? I havent driven one but reports on those said they were a bit underpowered, though I guess thats just comparing to all the new 4x4's which all have loads of grunt.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

buy a second hand Toyota it will still be worth the same in 5 yrs mate ya great wall well/?its a poke in the dark .
    Hilly

send a pm to member kingkev he has one and likes it
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

great wall x240

Thanks for the replies, to hilly on your idea of a second hand 4wd i'm very reluctant to buy a used one because I have no way of knowing if has done any beach work. While most won't have done any I know of people who have had their vehicles get salt water in them and trade them in straight away making it someone else's porblem, Knowing my luck I will get one of those.

I've read it's the lancer engine - don't know anything about mitsu's though so it might also be from a triton.

Either way it's going to be a bit unimpressive towing up the highway.

Apparently the rear diff has been traced to a nissan navara for those looking for lockers.

According to the salesman the motor is the old mitsubishi outlander motor and developes 100kw @ 5250rpm and 200nm @ 2500-3000 rpm.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psychobob View Post
    Thanks for the replies, to hilly on your idea of a second hand 4wd i'm very reluctant to buy a used one because I have no way of knowing if has done any beach work. While most won't have done any I know of people who have had their vehicles get salt water in them and trade them in straight away making it someone else's porblem, Knowing my luck I will get one of those.
    mate if you get on your back and stick your fingers inside the chas there are drain wholes all the way along you will feel sand if its a beach vehicle any how i took my hj60 on the beach in 1983 it goes 3 or 4 times a year a week at a time its got a bit of rust been cut out but so have i its done over 1000000klm and i would not swap it for a great wall and i get 27 mpg
    cheers hilly

Its a mitsubishi motor with borg warner parts. Very much Rodeo chassis.
    So far so good with mine
    hope you enjoy yours

She will be slow but will tow your boat .
    If I was you I would buy a new Jap made ute, pay a few $k extra and you know it will be reliable and when you deside to sell you will get some money for it .
    Great Wall , well its Chinese, all made in China, I'm not a fan of Chinese stuff but thats just me .
    If you want to know how well she will tow ask the delear for a loan for a day or so and take the boat out for a drive.

Their safety is not up to others either , I don't know how much that bothers you though . Have a read of this :

http://www.carpoint.com.au/news/2009...-slammed-16834

Beach work isnt the be all end all of a second hand vehicle. It is in actual fact only a small portion of the whole package. There are hundereds of cars that have rusted out by being driving through mud all the time, never washed and then kept in damp enviroments. Similarly there are lots of cars that spend alot of time on the beach and get cleaned maticulously.

for the record, when i bought my car (80 series diesel), they said the owner was a fisherman, (so probably taken it near a beach). I did a thorough search, and was able to find no rust, apart from a couple of really small spots in the sills, that i fixed myself. He had it rustproofed, and kept it clean. The driveline is good and the engine has plenty of power.

I reckon for the money you are looking at spending, it would be wiser going for a good second hand car, that will hold its value much longer too.

Owen

What are they $25,000?
    With a 5 year warranty isn't it?
    That's not too bad (as long as it will do the job for you), 5 grand a year for full warranty covered driving in a new 4x4, you can off load it then and pick up something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Delisser View Post
    What are they $25,000?
    With a 5 year warranty isn't it?
    That's not too bad (as long as it will do the job for you), 5 grand a year for full warranty covered driving in a new 4x4, you can off load it then and pick up something else.
    it is one thing to offer 5 year warranty but is it a full warrenty for that term and how solid is there warranty what dont they cover??? will great wall be here in 5 years being a brand new company from overseas they could pull out at any time

12 posts with one relevant reply stating real experience........mmmmmmm.

Has anybody heard any bad reports about a GreatWall??
    All I hear are good ones.....

I do not think they'll pull out of the market.
    They're one of the biggest car makers in the world.
    The warranty is only 3 years too.

As for safety concerns and the lack of at least one airbag in the Great Wall...when did the Toyota troopy get an airbag??

Look at their site. The X240 has ABS and dual airbags now.
    http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/?g...FYYtpAodUm1nhQ

I wonder when they'll come out in turbo diesel??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good