Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: great wall x240

Re: great wall x240

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I wonder when they'll come out in turbo diesel??
    That's the biggest downside IMO at the moment, we've got a 4 cyclinder petrol Mitsubishi 2.4 litre single cab ute at work and it's heavy on fuel and light on power.

If the Great Wall 2.4 petrol motor (which is evidently based on the 2.4 Mitsu) is anything like it's donor motor it'll be a thirsty slug.

Put a decent 2.5 to 3.0 litre turbo diesel into it and I'll think about buying one...
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

I think your on to something there Jabba.
    I reckon if they did bring in a 3.0 turbo diesel the tide would turn...especially out here in the boondocks where diesel is on every farm.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I have heard rumours that they are bringing out a 2.0 turbo diesel. Not too sure about that.

I hope your wrong there Kev.
    Minimum would need to be a 2.5 turbo diesel.

They're one of the biggest car makers in the world.

You are kidding!!
    Do you know howe many vehicles they sold in the last 6 months worldwide???

Hi to all,
    Thanks to everyone for their replies, I ended up buying a 2009 mazda BT-50 4x2 dual cab with 29000 kms on the clock for $28000. It has a canopy, side steps, mags, tinted windows and towbar. The engine is a 4 cylinder 3ltr turbo diesel. Towed the cruise craft to bribie yesterday and had loads of power and as for the 4wd side of things I dont intend to go on the beach with it so its not a big thing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxhoon View Post
    You are kidding!!
    Do you know howe many vehicles they sold in the last 6 months worldwide???
    How many. Educate us.
    I'm always willing to learn because I know everything I read cannot be correct.

Hi fellows
    I picked up a old spanner man from up north one day & he was brought down to check out the great wall cars & pull completely apart body & engine in a 2 week period as where he worked were going to be selling them so himself & 50 odd fellows around Oz sore them apart & checked them out & some of his comments were interesting. He said the whole car is a copy of other cars " as China doesn't have trademarks restrictions" so everythings a copy the old bloke said they are like all the Jap cars when they started to sell in Australia but better tech now!! Everything it cheaply made compared say with the lastest Jap cars hence the price!! he said no problems & better than some high priced 4x4 on the market today, he said give it a couple of years to sort out a few bugs & they are on a winner!! He said that they had a Diesel turbo engine which they pulled apart for comments he said it's a ripper mate wait until that engine & the old bloke said he would buy one!! he said wait for a year or 2 & it's a good car if not better than the japs. anyway I passed this on as the old fellow was impressed with them & by looks of things has been working on cars for years
    Steve

How many. Educate us.
    I'm always willing to learn because I know everything I read cannot be correct.

170,000 and they are aiming for 350,000 for the full year . I must say that their sales are growing very fast but all Chinese motor companies are .

They are not even anywhere near the top 10 Chinese car makers!!

They are a listed public company in Honk Kong .
    If you want to know more about the company do a search using the details bellow .

Great Wall Motor Co Ltd (2333:HK)

I was going on this where they have annual capacity of 400,000 vehicles.
    http://www.gwm.com.cn/eng/html/about/profile.asp
    Not that much difference to the 350,000 per annum you've suggested.
    So they sold 170,000 in 6 months. How many did GMH or Toyota sell in 6 months??

I also see on their site Steve that they have a 2.5L turbo diesel...and has been available since late 2008
    http://www.gwm.com.cn/eng/html/about/history.asp

If they did bring out the turbo diesel we would seriously consider one as we're going to update the cook's car later in the year/new year.

I am hoping that they bring out at least a 2.5 l diesel 4 x 4. I am happy with mine so far. Lots of beach driving and a trip up the Bloofield into Cooktown and around a few times.

Small shitty things go wrong like sun visor clips breaking, headrest clips breaking and of course once it just refused to engage into 4wd. Apparently a little clip needed to be put back somewhere. Since then all is good..............it just lacks a bit of power and I have bottomed out a bit so would like a little lift. Still on road tyres but eventually will look at some all terrains and head North again

Fuel consumption is not too bad with 10k's to the litre.

So they sold 170,000 in 6 months. How many did GMH or Toyota sell in 6 months??
    Surely you are not trying to compare the worlds 2 leading car makers with Great Wall? Are you ?

Toyota are the worlds largest car maker, have been since 2008 in 2007 they sold about the same number of vehicles as GM about 9.3 million . Prior to that GM was the leading car maker for 70+ years.

Not sure how many either have sold in the first half this yaer but at a guess ( its a guess only as I haven't looked at any data) Toyo 4 something mil and GM 3 something mil.

Interesting to note that last year China produced more cars than Japan, over 13 mil vehicles to around 8 mil in Japan and around 6 mil in USA and 5 mil in Germany .
    Very soon China will become the worlds biggest car market , right now they only have about 5% ownership , the G7 have someting like 75%.

I for one will not be driving a Chinese car of any sort anytime soon, their cars are still some 20 years behind worlds best and they have a long way to go before they can produce a car to Jap or German standard or anywhere else in the western world for that matter .

If low price is your only priority when buying a new car then you will buy Chinese or even Indian cars .

Has anybody heard any bad reports about a GreatWall??
    All I hear are good ones.....

I do not think they'll pull out of the market.
    They're one of the biggest car makers in the world.
    The warranty is only 3 years too.

As for safety concerns and the lack of at least one airbag in the Great Wall...when did the Toyota troopy get an airbag??

Look at their site. The X240 has ABS and dual airbags now.
    http://www.greatwallmotors.com.au/?g...FYYtpAodUm1nhQ

I wonder when they'll come out in turbo diesel??

Good point Finga, I have a 2006 patrol 4.2TD ute. Airbags, keyless entry , cruise control not even an option. Cant even dim the dash lights!

Has anybody heard any bad reports about a GreatWall??
    All I hear are good ones.....
    thats because they havent been around long enough give it 10 or 15 years (if they last that long) and then see what reports are given about them
    .......Ash

I just bought one for work. Power seems fine, it is what I would expect for a 2.4 petrol, there is a flat spot about halfway through rev range, same as the old toyota workmate used to have, but easing fuel on rather than dumping it in there seems to fix that. I don't have the towbar fitted yet, will be good to see how it tows.

It has more gadgets and airbags than my TRD hilux and cost me 21k brand new for single cab 4WD with an 8 x 4 ally tray. It came standard with a 5 level headlight aim adjustment switch on the dash, so you can point headlights down if tray is loaded up. and a light for reversing/filleting behind the tray.