Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: BASA

Re: BASA

Quote Originally Posted by Awshucks View Post
    You are a so called "pro fisher" get a real tax paying job pete .

Well you got me, you must no me real well with a statement like that.

Geez its perfect weather outside i had better get back to my profishing.

And we wonder and officially at the highest levels (wonder but don't actually care, not enough money within specific targeted prevention now) why smoking has all but been stamped out....yet cancers are increasing greatly per capita Australia wide....seriously Australia is as dumb ignorant as they come!

I just cannot feed my kid the poisoned food options available here in Oz today because a lifetime of being slowly poisoned throughout the intestinal tract is one that cannot be made up for at a later date.

Hi
    Here is a story I will put to you,
    Mr Woolworths or Mr Coles goes along to one of the major suppliers of seafood into Australia and says
    "We need to find a fish that is always available, looks good ,easy to cook, does not have a strong flavour and will remain constant in price. Mrs Australia wants and will buy a constant product to feed her kids"
    Unfortunately as good as Australian seafood is this request could not be sourced locally, so the supplier imports.
    It would be interesting to see the amount of Basa sold into our market and compare its availability and price fluctuation with local product.
    I would suggest the same happened with prawns.
    Wally

It isnt just Woolies and Coles. Restaurants,bistros, diners, cafes, take away shops.......they all sell Basa cause it is very cheap and their margins are higher.

Mike

It doesnt matter weather or not the fish is fit for human consumption.
    Aus and NZ have some of the most pristine waters in the world so why import a farmed fish from a third world country that has little or no regulatory authorities to constanstly monitor the mekong river and the farming conditions. I believe some people from these regions value money more than someones life.
    Also, I have no doubt if people farmed fish here in oz the same way the do in vietnam, they would be shut down in no time.
    Also... beware of "barramundi". Another fish farmed overseas in questionable conditions.
    Theyve been frozen for many months before you buy them anyway, so there would be little or no nutritional value to them.
    Its up to the consumer to buy aus quality fresh foods so we can keep alive the last of our industries.

nct..charleville summed it up..it is called trade..we buy off them..they buy off us.
    The Mekong does have an authority and it is classed as one of the cleanest rivers due to the vast amounts of water that run through it.
    I don't buy the fish but if people want to then so be it...some Aus food ain't all that fresh and healthy either.

I fully understand the value of foriegn trade. But fresh foods,produce and seafoods are among the last of our industries. shouldnt we protect them? there's not enough jobs in the mines for all of us!

Or maybe we should all just buy "imported" because its cheaper. then we should make all australian waters a marine park. Then we will rename this forum to Ausgardening.

No one said anyone has to buy it but obviously people do or else it would not bebought into the stores here. Perhaps we should protect all our industries..then there would be bugger all mining also as we would have no trade agreements left. It is now a global economy..we are but a tiny minnow in that market so we have to take the markets we can. BUT..as I said at the start..no one has to buy anything they don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by no chicken tonight View Post
    Aus and NZ have some of the most pristine waters in the world
    Can I ask what you base this from?

All of the available information I can points to significant degradation of our waterways and bays. Take Sydney Harbour where prawning was banned because of toxins. Look at the recent release on Brisbane's waterways and Moreton Bay where they didn't come up to well at all.

I am curious.
    Regards

mod5

mod5, this is based on our very small population compared to the rest of the world. Generally, our waters are pristine. Not so much our largest cities, but compare sydney harbour and morton bay to water ways in other cities around the world and i think you might find we're not in as bad shape as some greenies would have you believe.

The video in the link at the bottom of this post was sent to me yesterday by an old friend who would not have known about this thread on Ausfish.

What it tells me at first is that there is obviously a strategy by vested interests in places like the USA as well as Australia, to paint the health issues around Basa in the worst possible light.

This is especially so in the use of unproven statements in the video such as that "the Mekong is one of the most polluted rivers in the world" with cement plants and beer factories etc situated adjacent to the river and untreated sewage being dumped in the river. Lots of footage shows some pretty basic standards of housing along the river's edge - or at least along some river's edge.

Make up your own mind about such stuff but paddle a canoe up somewhere like Breakfast Creek and you too will wonder what is comes into the Brisbane River from the odd pipe that you will see entering the creek. Likewise, the data mentioned by Pinhead about the relative low levels of industrialisation and the huge water throughput in the Mekong might suggest to us the opposite about the Mekong.

There is the occasional statement in the video about the Vietnamese saying that the density of their fish stocking is higher than USA standards so as to infer that this is a bad thing. For all we know, the Vietnamese may have been boasting about their higher level of breeding productivity.

Likewise, there is a claim that Vietnamese authorities have warned the fish farmers that their water quality does not meet international standards. When such a generalised statement is made, it may conjure up in our minds that all Vietnamese fish farmers have been told this and that the quality issue is significant. That may or may not be true as the statement is so generalised that it could equally have meant that maybe just two farmers have been told something or other related to their farming practices, perhaps in an effort to improve quality just as the CSIRO might do with all sorts of farmers in Australia.

I am not saying that such is the case but simply that the statements are examples of classic spin doctoring in their vague use of descriptive collective language. All of which seeks to appeal to the risk averseness evident in the majority of people. This is the same as what IBM termed FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) as a great tactical sales ploy to paint a worrying picture in customers' minds about competitors' products.

FUD is a well known tactic amongst sales and marketing folk and indeed one that I employed very successfully with the sales teams that I trained and deployed in very competitive markets in parts of my career. Accordingly, I know the technique well and can spot the use of FUD very well. The essence of the technique is that you don't actually have to make solid claims about the "badness" of the competitor's product, you just have to raise some doubts in the customers' mind. Vagueness works a treat. That is what we are seeing in this video, imho.

On the other hand, later in the video, you will see what looks like the cleanest, most hygienic, most efficient processing plants on the planet.

I refer this to readers in the interest of full disclosure but I am still just as much in the dark as to whether Basa is good for us or not.

While I too love to take exception when I think propaganda is being flung at me I must say I have a problem when it comes to buying Seafood in general in Australia.

The question I have to ask is, if we weren't exporting so much of our top quality seafood (fish, prawns etc) would we be paying so much for it at the shops? Would Basa and vanemei prawns even be that much cheaper and hence allow the foreign products to get a foot hold in the first place?

Half the population was up in arms about the Resources super tax and the other half were quite ready to stick it to the big miners for "our fair share' of "OUR" resources. Yet here we are exporting "our" fish because the Japanese or whoever else is prepared to pay more for it and forcing the price of the same product here and forcing many to go to a cheaper imported product they can afford.

Im not much of a protectionist because at the end of the day you have to stay competitive with everyone else but if we only exported the actual excess of food that Australia doesn't consume then maybe we could all afford to eat more aussie seafood.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

just for the record fish are extremley sensitive to pesticides eg .005 ppm is enough to roll fish I doubt that any would survive the so called contaminated water in Vietnam.

Ah well where ingnorance is bliss

In a way I may be off topic but I think not too much. I like basa and have found it to be good eating. I prefer whiting. I am a keen home gardner as well as enjoying fishing.

A large proportion of Australia's tomatoes come from Queensland, the capital of the dreaded fruit fly. These flies absolutely destroy summer crops of field tomatoes unless a regime of regular spraying is carried out ( eg Rogor, Lebaycid).

All those great looking tomatoes in the stores ( and farmer markets too ) are only possible through pesticide spraying, otherwise you will be eating tomatoes full of worms.

And a lot of other "fresh" Australian produce is only possible through heavy spraying. It is just the nature of the pests we have.

I only mention this because some people are critical of other countries and seem to believe anything Australian is clear of strong pesticides. Wish it was true but it ain't so.

Organic sprays you say - the fruit fly laugh at anything you can throw at them.

BillR