Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BASA

BASA

Subject: BASA FISH PLEASE please READ! Woolworths and Coles sell this!!

BASA FISH PLEASE READ!!!!! Woolworths and Coles sell this !!
    Many are snatching up the fish at supermarkets as they are very cheap.
    The fish looks good but read the article and you will be shocked.

This product is from Vietnam.

Do you eat this frozen fish called BASA?
    ( Pangasius, Vietnamese River Cobbler, White Catfish, Gray Sole )

Industrially farmed in Vietnam along the Mekong River, BASA or Pangas or whatever they're calling it, has only been recently introduced to the French market. However, in a very short amount of time, it has grown in popularity in France. They are very, very affordable (cheap), are sold in filets with no bones and they have a neutral flavor and texture; many would compare it to cod and sole, only much cheaper. But as tasty as some people may find it, there's, in fact, something hugely unsavory about it. I hope the information provided here will serve as very important information for you and your future choices. Here's why it is better left in the shops and not on your dinner plates:

1. BASAS or Pangas are teeming with high levels of poisons and bacteria.
    (industrial effluents, arsenic, and toxic and hazardous by-products of the growing industrial sector, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), DDT and its metabolites (DDTs), metal contaminants, chlordane-related compounds (CHLs), hexachlorocyclohexane isomers (HCHs), and hexachlorobenzene (HCB) ).

The reason is that the Mekong River is one of the most polluted rivers on the planet and this is where basa/pangas are farmed and industries along the river dump chemicals and industrial waste directly into it. Avoid eating them because they contain
    high amounts of contamination. Regardless of Reports and recommendations against selling them, supermarkets still sell them, knowing full well that they are contaminated.

2. They freeze Basa/Pangas in contaminated river water.

3. BASA/Pangas are raised in Vietnam . Pangas are fed food that comes from Peru ( more on that below ), their hormones ( which are injected into the female Pangas ) come from China .. ( More about that below ) and finally, they are transported from Vietnam to other countries .

4. There's nothing natural about Basa/Pangas - They're fed dead fish remnants and bones, dried and ground into a flour (from South America), manioc ( cassava ) and residue from soy and grains. This kind of nourishment doesn't even remotely resemble what they eat in nature. But what it does resemble is the method of feeding mad cows ( cows were fed cows, remember? ). What they feed basa/pangas is completely unregulated so there are most likely other dangerous substances and hormones thrown into the mix. The basa/pangas grow 4 times faster than in nature, so it makes you wonder what exactly is in their food? Your guess is as good as mine.

5. Basa/Pangas are injected with Hormones Derived from Urine. They inject female Basa/Pangas with hormones made from the dehydrated urine of pregnant women, the female Pangas grow much quicker and produce eggs faster ( one Basa/Panga can lay approximately 500,000 eggs at one time ). Essentially, they're injecting fish with hormones ( they come all of the way from a pharmaceutical company in China ) to speed up the process of growth and reproduction. That isn't good. And also consider the rest of the reasons to NOT eat BASA.

You get what you pay for - and then some. Don't be lured in by insanely cheap price of Basa/Pangas. Is it worth risking your health and the health of your family?

7. Buying Basa/Pangas supports unscrupulous, greedy corporations and food conglomerates that don't care about the health and well-being of human beings. They are only concerned about selling as many basa/pangas as possible to unsuspecting consumers. These corporations only care about making more money at whatever cost to the public..

8. Basa/Pangas WILL make you sick - If you don't get ill with vomiting, diarrhea and effects from severe food poisoning, congratulations, you have an iron stomach! But you're still ingesting POISON not "poisson".

Final important note: Because of the prodigious amount of availability of Basa/Pangas, be warned that they will certainly find their way into other foods like imitation crab sticks, fish sticks, fish terrines, and probably in some pet food too. Just check the Ingredient List to see if Basa is one of the ingredients. Good Luck.

You have been warned !!!

Why are we allowing this product to be imported and our Governments and environmentalists closing up and restricting our pristine and well managed Fisheries into marine parks? Our country is going mad and destroying itself unless YOU do something. GET BEHIND OUR COMMERCIAL FISHERIES SO WE CAN PRODUCE GOOD QUALITY SEAFOOD FOR AUSTRALIANS, the owners.
    Last edited by mod5; 10-07-2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Large fonts make it unreadable :)

Re: BASA

Post the video re basa too. Really interesting viewing.

Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Gee,
    and most people are only worried that they feed them from the toilet..........

Muzz

The topic of Basa or the other myriad of marketing names given to it has been the topic of discussion in these forums a long time ago.

However, I don't think that we have ever before seen the extreme level of FUD material (fear, uncertainty and doubt) written in the above piece.

I cannot remember seeing such extreme negative propaganda since I used to see the old WW1 and WW2 propaganda leaflets showing babies on bayonets held by satanic looking Germans.

Whatever the merits of the argument, unless the article is cited as being from a reputable source, lines like "They inject female Basa/Pangas with hormones made from the dehydrated urine of pregnant women," smacks of propaganda of the most extremist level of vested interest.

Likewise the revelation that "They're fed dead fish remnants " makes me sound gruesome because I like eating dead fish also. In fact I have never been a fan of eating any sort of fish other than dead fish.

Now, before we destroy the livelihood of the good people of Vietnam, go now to your pantry and look at your very best tins of fish and see where they come from.

eg. See if you have any John West mussels in your larder. You know John West. They are the ones who reject all of the poor quality stuff. If you look at the source of the John West mussels you will see that they are from China.

But hang on, isn't China where melamine was being put into milk and poisoning lots of babies around the world? Gee, you would not be eating anything from China, would you?

If not go and have a look at all of your tinned and frozen goods and see where they come from.

Best thing you can do is not eat anything.

""Industrially farmed in Vietnam along the Mekong River""

I have seen this "industrially" farmed fish They are small floating sheds with a net under them that holds the fish, the familiy lives in the shed and feeds them pelts... i dont know were they would get the money for all the poison.....

in saying all the above I prefer not to eat anything from vietnam unless I am there, we have so much better here

I would like to see an actual toxicology report on the flesh sold as Basa. I am not saying the above is not correct, but I am left wondering how such a mega-profitable and successful fish breeding program could be had in such incredibly adverse environment. Look at the Aquaculture programs around the world and how much they struggle with maintaining a suitable environment for their business. I suspect that a fair amount if this could be embellishment to make it read more severe as the media have a real habit of doing.

I know the standards there are third world and the practices are not what people want to hear or see, but to be so incredibly productive to export to about 40% of the world from one river that is unfit for anything......well that creates some doubt on the validity of the statements.

I know it is well and truly flooded into all forms of media, but not once has there been toxicology reports shown or genetic modification, or hormone test results done by world accredited scientists, been produced that I have seen.

I do not ever buy any imported seafoods as I will not support our good seafoods being exported and 2nd rate crap imported. That also goes for fruit and veg as well because I buy from the local markets from local growers for 90% of our greens.
    Jack.

One of my customers is a seafood wholesaler.

Imported produce only. He gave up on the local product because of the shitfighting between the suppliers.
    Mostly"Im not selling to you because you bought off so and so."

Earlier this year he did a tour of the basa/panga processing plants in Vietnam.
    All new and shiny and hygienically way above anything he had encountered in 20 years of business in Australia.
    All built,maintained and owned by American money.
    Thats where the bulk of the finished product ends up.

On the subject of the original post, His 1 word reply.

"propaganda".

Frankly, I couldnt give a large rats about the imported stuff.
    The only fish I eat are the ones I catch.

The whiting have been tasty the last month or so.

Rod

My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

So are some of you actually trying to say that information in a sensational spam email may not be entirely correct?

Charlie's Quote

Now, before we destroy the livelihood of the good people of Vietnam, go now to your pantry and look at your very best tins of fish and see where they come from.

Best thing you can do is not eat anything

I sore a video on the mekong and it was disgusting dead fish floating rubbish everywhere and supposably industries dumping crap directly into the river which i would believe 100%.

I would never buy overseas fish including basa because i dont need to as well as wouldn't risk eating that crap as i have seen the footage of the what the river looks like, they dont have to run no test for me that was enough.

Fruit and vege i get from the markets all australian and at least you no its fresh and hasn't been sitting there for ever and i am keeping the money here not overseas. If people bought australian fish and not that overseas crap they might appreciate what we have here and actually realize how good fish can taste.

If people keep buying that overseas crap there will be more green zones then ever like di/frazer because the need is just not there with all this imported stuff.

Its not about destroying the overseas livelihood its about destroying ours.

indy..don't think fruit and veges are those lil items so full of nutrients..most of them have had miltitudes of herbicides and fingicides sprayed on them..and a lot are cold room ripened.

As for the BASA..never bought any..prefer to support the local industries wehn buying seafood.

Quote Originally Posted by indy View Post
    Charlie's Quote

If people keep buying that overseas crap there will be more green zones then ever like di/frazer because the need is just not there with all this imported stuff.
    i dont understand this sentence, why would there be more green zones if we keep buying Bassa??? Wouldnt there be more green zones if we stopped buying bassa, due to the fact that the local fisheries would have more pressure on them to supply fresh fish.

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    i dont understand this sentence, why would there be more green zones if we keep buying Bassa??? Wouldnt there be more green zones if we stopped buying bassa, due to the fact that the local fisheries would have more pressure on them to supply fresh fish.

Ah bennykenny - I am sure that you did not mean it in the way that you copied the quote from Indy but I just want to emphasise that the bit about green zones is not from my post.

I suspect that the biggest threat that Indy or anyone else who posts such extreme unsubstantiated claims about produce is a legal one.

For instance, I note from today's newspapers that McDonalds' Chinese chicken nuggets are under some sort of food safety cloud at the moment.

Just try the same sort of post about McDonalds with similar unsubstantiated extremist FUD material designed to put fear into the most risk averse and/or least educated people in the community and see what the retribution from McDonalds would be.

Be afraid when you post this sort of stuff, Indy. Be very afraid. The authorities are looking for you even as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by charleville View Post
    For instance, I note from today's newspapers that McDonalds' Chinese chicken nuggets are under some sort of food safety cloud at the moment.
    McDonald's Apologizes For Condoms In Happy Meals

AP

5,000 Happy Meals were distributed with colored condoms instead of a plastic toy from the movie The Last Airbender.
    The condoms were intended for the Provincetown, Mass. school system, which recently established a policy making them available for students of all ages; they were delivered to McDonald's distribution center in Barnstable, Mass. in error.
    "The packages were so bright and colorful that they were misled by small toys for Happy Meals, but unfortunately most of the workers who do not read English package, and thought 'Ribbed Latex' was a character in the movie," said Robin Anderson, vice president of public relations for the chain, as published by El Universal of Mexico.
    The mistake led to an incident in a Brewster, Mass., McDonald's, where more than a dozen 8-year-olds attending a birthday party all opened their condoms at once, and immediately blew them into balloons and started batting them around the restaurant.
    The McDonald's incident also caused problems in Provincetown, where the schools accidentally received the restaurant's shipments of Last Airbender toys, and several were released to students who went into their school's nurse's office seeking condoms.
    Terra / AP/ Farah Chajin
    Regards

mod5

and on the flip side:

"What Are The Growing Conditions For Basa?
    Basa are grown in one of the most suitable environments for fish farming found anywhere in the world. The Mekong River (from which drains much of the Himalayan snow melt) has one of the largest consistent flows of fresh, clean water on the planet. Australian environmental scientists working for the Mekong River Commission, which monitors water quality at over 50 sites, confirm that testing over the past 15 years shows no serious contamination of the river - partly because there is little industry in its catchment, and partly because of its large flow. It is one of the cleanest of the world's large rivers. Claims that the Mekong River is seriously contaminated have been overwhelmingly refuted by those Australian scientists working in the region.
    How Safe Is Basa?
    Behind Vietnam's farmed fish export trade is a modern, multi-billion dollar industry that applies the highest levels of global science and technology in the entire chain of its safe food production - essential to enable it to compete in highly regulated and fastidious western markets. The processing factories that produce fish for export to Australia are at the cutting edge of modern technology and are accredited to the highest levels of international food safety.
    In addition, the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) service rigorously tests all arriving shipments of fish for a range of potential contaminants, prior to release. This multi-tier food safety system ensures consumers have no need to be concerned about product quality or food safety - and this is frequently confirmed by Australia's highest food safety authority: Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ"

which is from this site: http://www.seafoodimporters.com.au/news.item.php?pid=62

Bennykenny

Its like anything no need for something and what is the solution shut the doors thats what they are slowly doing here eg green zones. If the government didn't buy back so many commercial licenses there would still be plenty of fish to go around and australia is a long way from being fished out. I never have a problem catching a feed.