Thread: Navigating Southern Moreton Bay

Navigating Southern Moreton Bay

Hi,

planing a trip up from the gold coast via jacobs well and redland bay to go over to horseshoe bay at peel. Question is, when I get to Coochiemudlow Island can I just head directly to peel or do I need to head towards dunwich and basically follow the ferry route ?

Also how rough can this stretch get ?

Any help appreciated ?

Re: Navigating Southern Moreton Bay

A heading of due north from the eastern side of coochy, should put you into horse shoe bay. Be very aware of the wind strenght and direction. It can chop up with a southerly blowing. If in doubt don't.
    Tight Lines

Split-shot

You can pretty much make a bee line towards horseshoe bay from east Coochie. Just be aware of the shallow banks on the southern tip of Peel, and make sure you don't anchor anywhere closer than 100+ meters off the beach at horseshoe (esp if the tide is going out!).

I have seen it chop up once on the northern side of coochie (coming back from Peel to Vicci Pt), but you normally wouldn't be out there in anything over 15 anyway.

Hello Ahamay,

what boat will you be using?
    I have seen chop at least a meter high coming from the south between Coochie and Peel.
    If you have a smaller boat be very alert to a southerly wing coming in suddenly, northerly is much more comforatble.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Aim to the Eastern end of Horseshoe Bay. On the Banana Banks to the East North East of Coochy, the most southern Green is pretty shallow so keep clear of it. You can cross the Banana Banks even at low tide quite safely with this one exception.

The two Peel Island South West Rocks lit green beacons are good markers but there is also an unlit Green between the eastern SW light and the beach. If you get too close to this Green, it is possible to go onto the shallow stuff if you keep heading for the beach.

A lot of heavy vehicular ferry traffic on this route from Dunwich to Cleveland so keep and eye out for them!

This patch is the wildest and roughest part of the Bay and if the winds get above 15 knots from the SE or NE, you will get a fair old beating - dependant on boat size of course!

I guess you already know that the drop off along the beach at Horseshoe Bay shallows very quickly as the tide drops so don't get caught anywhere from it to the beach on the run out - 'cos that's where you will stay!!

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Crocodile has asked the correct question.boat size would be nice to know before answering.

Hilly

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello Ahamay,
    what boat will you be using?
    I have seen chop at least a meter high coming from the south between Coochie and Peel.
    If you have a smaller boat be very alert to a southerly wing coming in suddenly, northerly is much more comforatble.
    Sorry, should have mentioned the boat. It's a 485 runabout with 60hp 4st Yamaha.

Buy a Beacon to beacon and familiarise yourself with the beacons before you go. Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Marlin_Mike View Post
    Buy a Beacon to beacon and familiarise yourself with the beacons before you go. Mike
    Yes I have that and Navionics maps but I thought it would not hurt to get some local knowledge. I have my eye on Sunday this weekend..hope the weather pans out.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

you'll have no worries mate you have a nice seaworthy boat enjoy your trip if you dont have a chart of the bay there B C F have them however if you intend going past peal you make sure you carry your flairs.
    Hilly

PM sent ahamay

Mike

Mate - you should be fine. Just be aware of the vehicular ferry as it can leave a wake that when pushed up by wind and against current can be insanely steep...having become airborne I know!

Cheers
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Mate - you should be fine. Just be aware of the vehicular ferry as it can leave a wake that when pushed up by wind and against current can be insanely steep...having become airborne I know!

Cheers
    Thanks. Went past the ferry on a previous trip to coochie. I know what you mean about the wake. Those ferry's hammer.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...06509&t=h&z=13

Tend to head out from South Coochie, head towards goat, then due north when 2/3 down horseshoe bay. Saves having to look at the depth as anytime.
    Stacer 525 easyrider - 115 DI. Bayside Brissy