Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Monduran Eagle Nest Fire ?

Monduran Eagle Nest Fire ?

There has been a lot of rumours and reports going around up Monduran that over the Commitee Meeting weekend that a Eagles Nest on Lake Monduran was sent on fire by a Ausfish member. I do hope this is not true as not only are these nests are totally protected by law but they are used every year by the eagles to raise there young. If the indicent did occurr I can not see why anyone would do such a thing as the nests and eagles help make the magic places that we fish.

Cheers Foxie

Re: Monduran Eagle Nest Fire ?

Agree Foxie - absolute dog act - whoever did it. Hope the blaming of an Ausfish member is just a rumour/payback and not the truth.

Steve

I can't believe someone actually burnt a nest. What a joke. Some people have no idea

I hope it is only a rumour of it being a member.

Cheers

Lee

remember seeing the smoke coming from the stump as we drove past. what kind of ###### thinks "hmmm might light that nest on fire next time i go past". I'd like to think no1 on here is that stupid.

JAYVEE
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages

That sort of behaviour is a concern.

Even more concerning is that a local storeowner feels compelled to mention that an AF member may be involved.

Please let all know if you get to the bottom of it mate.

Shame on anyone who would do such a thing.

Hrmm i wonder if it was in the first bay on the left as you get into south b.

If it was a ausfish member and proof is found i hope the moderators do the right thing and give them an instant life time ban, these types of people should have no place in this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by hairypunt View Post
    Shame on anyone who would do such a thing.

Hrmm i wonder if it was in the first bay on the left as you get into south b.

If it was a ausfish member and proof is found i hope the moderators do the right thing and give them an instant life time ban, these types of people should have no place in this forum.
    Hairy,

I agree 100% its not a good thing if its happened..pretty disgraceful actually. I only attended one of the few bank side BBQ lunches, and promise to all nothing silly was done there by any Ausfish members... just a little fire (as you could see in some of the photos) to cook a few snags then extinguished .....all rubbish taken away too....left as we found it. I also know the property owner where the bankside BBQ was held each day so I personally would not let a stupid thing like that occour. I just wanted to clear that up for the record on behalf of the Ausfishos there.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

I find it very disturbing that someone would set fire to a nest. Any nest in fact.

I find it disturbing that someone knows enough about the person setting fire to the nest to know what websites they visit....but not their name.

Or is that someone spreading rumours just full of it??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I would hope its just a nasty rumour, if true, that would be the end of my participation with Ausfish for me

Where there is smoke, there is fire, and this thread has continued to smolder away, fueled by silence from those that are generally most vocal here.

I'm sure whoever did this is feeling pretty low right now and trying to hide under a rock. Those in the know are probably doing the right thing and not dobbing in a mate for doing something pretty damn stupid.

But hey, we all stuff up now and again and make a bad judgement. Hard to admit sometimes, and we'd like to forgot all about it, and make it go away.

This fire might eventually die out, or the guilty party could put out the spot fires by manning up and then trying to make ammends.

I am only assuming here, but I don't believe there were any chicks on the nest at the time of this incident, and the Osprey weren't nesting?

Can an Eagles nest be rebuilt?

I've just spoken with my sister in-law who is has some sort of animal qualification and actually worked as a bird handler at Cairns Zoo for a few years.

Her advice on the Osprey is that they will have no problems rebuilding in spring as long as there is enough wood around, and they can find a suitable site. Which won't be a problem in Monduran.

She also suggested that they probably wouldn't have nested again at that site while the water level was so close to the nest. As they wouldn't have felt comfortable with the close proximity to the water and boats.

So although she was pretty disappointed to hear about what happened, fortunately she believes that that pair of Osprey will rebuild somewhere nearby this spring.

So although it doesn't take away too much from the stupid act, hopefully there will be a good outcome for this pair Ospreys.

I've added a pic of my sister in law handling an Osprey at the Cairns Zoo. And another of a Mondy Eagles nest back when the waters were low. I'm not sure if its the same one that was burnt.

Cheers,

Matt

That is a mighty looking bird.
    Nice work Matt.
    The other bad thing that came from it, was the fact the two main limbs were floating around that area for the next few days.
    Wouldn't want to collect one of them at speed.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Hmmm, think you're spot on with your assessment, Matt.

We saw the smouldering tree in north B on the Saturday and wondered why anyone would want to burn a tree in the middle of the dam. There was no sign of an eagle nest at that stage...

If there was a nest there then let's hope we don't see anything like this again.

Regs

Pete & Kyle

good to see the osprey are pretty versitile with their nesting i would presume there would be lots of birds of prey that would need to relocate after the filling the dam got, there are many places in the dam where you can nearly touch the nests which used to be 20 to 30 ft above our heads and some are even on water level,i rescued a couple of those black and white long legged birds early in the year that had just hatched and the water was in the nest i put them on the bank the the mother close by but i think the predators might have got those 2

This reported rumor is not something that anyone should be proud of.

Chris and I actually saw a tree, somewhere in B that was alight at water level, I can't remember what day it was, but what we saw certainly was not a birds/eagles nest.

I for one spend just as much time looking and photographing birds and animals as i do fishing and the whole experience would be nowhere as fantastic if they were to disappear.

Cheers,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    This reported rumor is not something that anyone should be proud of.

Chris and I actually saw a tree, somewhere in B that was alight at water level, I can't remember what day it was, but what we saw certainly was not a birds/eagles nest.

I for one spend just as much time looking and photographing birds and animals as i do fishing and the whole experience would be nowhere as fantastic if they were to disappear.

Cheers,
    John.
    I saw the same tree on fire John. If it was one of our guys it would be nice to see him or them stick their hands up before it damages this group beyond repair.
    Personally, if I knew who did this and it was going to damage the reputation of not just this site but individual fisho's as well, I certainly wouldnt let that happen just to cover for a couple of individuals.

Matty I agree mate. We all make some silly and spontaneous mistakes, but some times we need to face up to them.

Red. Yep I am glad we were taking it easy going in there after the fire. There was 3 large floaters there that I could see.

Brian. I wouldnt go throwing friendships away over something like this that was probably carried out by a very small minority, and something most here would consider an abomination and disrespectful to somewhere most of us enjoy going to.

Steve