Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Monduran Eagle Nest Fire ?

Re: Monduran Eagle Nest Fire ?

Interesting post Stuart, it's great to hear from another local. It sounds like a lot of you have had enough. Enough is enough.

Up here near Awoonga we have it nice and quiet (tournament guys exempt*), we always look south and shake our heads with all the trouble your great dam seems to attract and we do say "Thank christ they are not up here bothering us". I even went to the ramp 4 times in a row the other week and didn't see a single boat. Hooooraaaayyyyy....

Community: Getting a bad name?
    I wonder if the Mayor or the Local Council thinks the actions of a few at Lake Monduran over the last year is a good advertisement for the Gin Gin community?
    It's only a matter of time before they start hearing about this type of behaviour.
    Fact: Like it or not Lake Monduran is getting a bit of a reputation.

To think that the disrespect to fellow campers (See 2009 Mondy Muster) which resulted in the caravan park managers receiving complaints which had the managers as angry as all cut snakes with a couple of 5am revellers that kept the whole campsite awake with colourfull language & more.

Then followed the burning of a stump/nest/tree incident in 2010.
    Again from someone that doesn't live locally, they blow in and blow out ever so often and leave the local Gin Gin community to deal with their carnage. (1 or 2 people not all).

Does the caravan park chain think this is a good advertisement for their business as their business is directly linked to the dam, like the whole Gin Gin community is?

Can they ban people from their park like football grounds when they
    Ban a Yobbo for unruly behaviour etc?

Does Sunwater want people acting like this on it's waterways?
    Will acts like this force Sunwater to make rules that affect everyone?
    Can they ban people from fishing all their dams around Queensland?

Should the Police check on how much some people are drinking on the dam's as surely these acts cant' be done sober. There is no better time than now for this old chestnut;

"Your either Drinking or Your Thinking, but you can't do both at once."

At the end of the day it's the locals and the community that have to live with the carnage. It would be interesting to hear from a few more locals regarding this subject. You may as well take the opportunity to lay it all out on the table now so things can hopefully improve in the future as silence doesn't always get the message across.

Regards Lyndon

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    However vandalism as a crime is not as socially accepted as say exceeding the open road speed limit by 10kph, it does have a stigma attached to it hence some of the posted reactions

One small issue here is that if you have an accident and speed is the determining factor, no matter how small that 10kph seems, if the result is manslaughter then I believe that the tables will turn and vandalism pales into insignificance. I guess a small tip in the balance or a different outcome or even a different view on things can result in different actions people take.

Without leaning to either side of the fence there seems to be alot of assumptions here made by people who were not there and I think people need to deal with the hard core facts and not sugar coat things nor should hidden agendas come into play. I am also not posting here to defend the person in question as I believe they should be responsible for their own actions and last time I checked I think that had already done that.

We all make mistakes and we all learn from mistakes but at least the person in question has told the truth and has not tried to down play or hide the fact about what was done.

What’s done has been done and the action cannot be undone.

Lydon I totally understand the concept of the campfire and camping etc and agree of its importance but even small things like that can have an impact without us even realising. I see in your avatar pic you have a nice freshly dug pit on the bank of what looks like a dam. I can assume that you dug the hole yourself, and that it might or might not be on private property and I hope the hole was filled back in as if a hole like that left bankside could fill up with water and potentially start to erode the bank. The point I am getting at is that I have made a heap of assumptions about something I totally know nothing about because I was not present at the time, hence maybe I should at least listen to people who were before I start making assumptions.

The only 3 facts I can see from this are – A tree was burnt, the burner has identified themselves and they have acknowledged that no nest was present.

I am also pretty sure that if my memory serves me correctly that there is another eagles nest within 100m from the burnt tree and I am pretty sure that birds of prey do not nest so close together. Something to do with territory etc. I maybe wrong but maybe food for thought

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee yes all is good on the fire front and i hope the future of a fireplace at a barra dam is too. If you want to fight fire with fire, i could ask for details on those fires on the bankside lunch meetings and so on, but i haven't..
    If we want to go photo for photo i could ask for the burning tree/nest photo's?
    But i haven't. How far do we want to go? You-Tube Clips?

You and a few have had their opinions over thousands of threads. A few others can have their say too. I don't post that often.

On a side note.
    Did you have a web name on a WA internet fishing site a while back?

Anyway i'll say Gday and offer a handshake when i see you at one of these dams and soon we can share a yarn, hopefully around that fireplace. I'll be more than happy to chat about a thousand concerns/fishing topics with you then mate as it will be much more relaxed.

I'm off for a fish now, take it easy & Happy Fishing.
    Cheers Lyndon.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Hi Lee yes all is good on the fire front and i hope the future of a fireplace at a barra dam is too.

You and a few have had their opinions over thousands of threads, i and a few others can have ours too. I don't post that often.

On a side note.
    Did you have a web name on a WA internet fishing site a while back?

Anyway i'll say Gday and offer a handshake when i see you at one of these dams and we can share a yarn, hopefully around that fireplace mate. I'll be more than happy to chat about a thousand concerns/fishing topics with you then.
    Take it easy, happy fishing.
    Cheers Lyndon.
    Lyndon what I said was in no way a cheap shot at you nor Dick, but just more of a take on the fact I guess we should not make assumptions without knowing the whole truth and the fact the way everyone see's the world is much different then the next.

I totally agree that people are able to voice their opinions and concerns and after all it is a free country and last time I checked we did still have freedom of speach.

Everyone is entitled to have thier say, but I guess we should not wander of the path and should stick to the facts.

Happy to have that chat when I can finally manage to get back up to the dams and chase those silver beasts.

Cheers

Lee

If nothing else, this is as clear as clear an example of what I've said many times past.

"Now, more than ever, Recreational Anglers need to be squeaky clean."

This incident, regardless of whether a nest was involved or not - and since I don't know the FACTS, I'll leave it open - but this act needs to be held up as an example to all how things get out of control so damned easily. I can just hear the Greenies:

"Recreational Fishermen are arsonists." And Joe Public will believe it!

You can bet your backside that the radical left already have this one, and are busy figuring out what to do with it. We have enough on our plates trying to keep our sport alive without people who just... don't... think.

If alcohol was involved, then the Law was broken by operating a boat. If it wasn't, then I don't know whether the Law was broken, but common sense had certainly left the building.

Please, to you folks up there who are (imo) righteously p!ssed off, when you see me going past with Ausfish Offshore stickers on my next boat, please don't lump me in with people who practice this sort of behaviour.

edit - Many seem to think that because "we've all done dumb things" this one is OK because there was an apology. That DOES NOT cut the mustard. I would never have done anything like this, and for those out there who admit they would, well, think about changing. I object to the idea that all of us are being cast as capable of committing such an act of environmental vandalism. - end edit.

Many thanks,

Tim
    Last edited by TimiBoy; 13-07-2010 at 02:45 PM. Reason: added a point.
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Hooly dooly. Go away for a few days and look at what happens.

Gees I'm glad nobody has found out about some of the stupid things I've done over the years. I reckon I would have been hung from the nearest yard arm 392 times over. Maybe I'm just lucky yardarms aren't real common any more??

I have to admit I've never set fire to a tree standing but I've cut a few down in my time to burn in fires.
    The cook and I did one 2 week-ends ago so we (and the 2 pooches and puss) can be warm.

I've even had to destroy birds nests too. It was my job as an overhead line worker for North Power. I've also built structures for birds to nest in. One is still at the newer boat ramp at Evans.

One thing I cannot work out though is in one post someone was complaining about some large limbs floating about for days and hoping they didn't hit them.
    If you knew they were there did you pull them out of the water??

It's been mentioned before and I'll say it again. Let he was has never sinned cast the first stone.

Nagg has shown a lot of backbone in fessing up and I'm sure he's learnt from the experience as other will have as well.
    The rest of us should have a quite thought and ask yourself a question. Would I have fessed up or would I have slinked off into the background like the dog that stole the sausage off the BBQ??
    Nagg could have slinked off because not even the decky knew of his exploits. But didn't.

Personally I find the reports of camp site behaviour just as disturbing.
    Upsetting or disturbing others in their time of relaxation is just as wrong in my books.
    Now. Who's going to fess up to that??
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Nagg has shown a lot of backbone in fessing up and I'm sure he's learnt from the experience as other will have as well.
    The rest of us should have a quite thought and ask yourself a question. Would I have fessed up or would I have slinked off into the background like the dog that stole the sausage off the BBQ??
    Nagg could have slinked off because not even the decky knew of his exploits. But didn't.

Personally I find the reports of camp site behaviour just as disturbing.
    Upsetting or disturbing others in their time of relaxation is just as wrong in my books.
    Now. Who's going to fess up to that??

I was not going to be drawn into this argument i was there that weekend i heard about a tree on fire out in the middle and thought someone just lit it as a joke to have people wondering how it caught on fire.

There is a lot more going on here if it was another person be it Ausfish or not it would of got 10 or 20 responsor's but there are 4 or 5 people who are keeping it alive for reasons of there own due to a things that have happened in the past and they are like a dog at a bone ,with it.

Yes what he done was wrong and if there was or was not a birds nest there
    What they need to think about is how many times have these same people collected fire wood off a bank of there local dam and burnt it ,basically it is the same thing.It is a animals habitat and protection dead wood on a bank is home for bugs and lizards and snakes ect and if it is left on the banks when the dam's rise like has happened this year these same logs become home and protection for the fish life in the dam so taking this wood would be no different than what has happened here yet they have all done it in the past themselves to take wood off the banks or treeline ect when camping.
    As to the noise at the muster i believe the compliant was from the 2008 muster not the 2009 muster as steps were taken to keep the noise down and hold the event away from other people and as for the CM meet ans greet i was on site 12 and was in bed between 11-12 pm both nights and could hear any noise at all and i even spoke to a fellow camper not connected with ausfish who had 3 young kids and he or they heard no noise, so bringing up the noise at a muster 2 years ago gets back to the issues of these other people having an agenda to crucify someone who has admitted it was him doing wrong on this occasion.

Finga i know you did not bring the subject on noise up so no offense mate i just think it has nothing to do with a tree set alight brought up by others on this forum to stir the pot

Regards Shane

Can we end it?
    Last edited by LostNearBribie; 13-07-2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Ranting...
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Lyndon,

how ya going mate.

You asked a few questions in your post that I can answer. I am defintely not trying to argue or be smarty pants..please believe me!! etc...I just have some factual info for you, and all. The rest I have no first hand info or reliable knowledge on so I will stay out of that.

1. bankside BBQ. I was at the one friday, and it was little (there is even photos on here in the CM photos thread)....I witnessed its extingushment (is that a word!!)...it was barely enough to cook the snags!. The area was cleaned up by all...not that there was any mess really.

2. Locals? the few I have spoken too, are not happy. Stuie was one as you can see from his post...and rightly so. There a a few other concerns of his (not about this issue) that I know more about, but its not my business to post. I haven't had a chance to speak with the local guides etc but they told me about this incident last friday week and were pretty mad.

3. Campfire noise. Last week I spoke directly to the standin park manager about this years gathering, and she was HAPPY with our behaviour....no complaints whatsoever. Thats a fact.

2010 Muster??? - I doubt will happen ( I certainly wont be involved)...nor should it or any big gatherings for the future in my opinion. Like I said in another thread. These things are too big, and even on our best behavior, trying to be quiet....it still makes unwanted noise and thats not fair on others. Having been a culprit in the past, I am all to aware of the consequences and ramifications.

Hope this helps... Hope its all going well for you. Good stuff & good luck

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    THE LAW
    Under the forestry or local council act is this habitat degridation?
    Like chopping down a tree without a permit?
    Anyone here know the law of the land?

Can people be charged for these Bogan acts?

Cheers Lyndon

Well Lyndon, after studying Conservation & Land Management for the last year and a half, as well as obtaining my Level 2 Fire training through DERM & being taught by one of Qld's most well respected fire trainers, Chris' dog act goes under numerous pieces of legislation. Possibly the most recognised is the Nature Conservation Act 1992, as well as the Vegetation Management Act 1999. Hell, you may as well as hurl the Qld Water Act 2000 in there too. Simple fact is that if Chris was a business owner, or even possibly a full-time guide and did such an act he would lose his job - no doubt about it.

Take time out to read this for a minute... if anyone knows what a prank is, then a 20yr such as myself should. Hurling ice or an egg on someones house is a prank. Getting a great big bag of horse-shit and lighting it on someones doorstep is a prank. Knicking the rear tyres off your mates ute is a prank. Pouring fuel down the guts of an ancient tree in the middle of a Lake and burning the ba-jesus out of it (not to mention the possibility of an eagles nest... some disclosure on this would be good) is NOT a prank. For the very man to come back and apologise here on the web after days of thought, and still come back and call it a PRANK is beyond belief. Why some of you are standing before him & trying to defend his outlandish actions is beyond belief. Let him take it, the whole lot of it. The more you try and defend him, the more you make Ausfish look pathetic. Why should we end the barrage of critiscm now, when his cowardly actions could have major implications on EVERYONE that fishes Monduran. Many stakeholders have most definetely been effected by this, none more so then AusFish, recreational anglers of Monduran, local businesses such as Foxies Barra Havoc and also Sunwater. If all that is going to happen over this incident is a big shit fight on a website, then that is nothing more then a slap on the wrist.

If you did manage to start the fire without the use of an accelerant, then I will however take my hat off to you matey. Top job. Never tried lighting a tree on fire in 40/80ft of water before... Tell ya what... if you can burn another (geesus, wouldn't that be funny!) I'll get you a job with us up here. Hows that sound?

Many good blokes out there are trying to do good things for this fishing scene, but when incidents like this, and dare I mention an incident involving a full time fishing guide at Awoonga last year, just destroys what is a unique Australian scene. Impoundment barra probably should never have happened, but because of pioneers here in FNQ, they made stockings work. Stupid, senseless incidents like this make their work look distant & tarnish history.

You southerners have a lot to learn.

Theo Davis
    Lake Tinaroo, FNQ
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    Take time out to read this for a minute... if anyone knows what a prank is, then a 20yr such as myself should. Hurling ice or an egg on someones house is a prank. Getting a great big bag of horse-shit and lighting it on someones doorstep is a prank. Knicking the rear tyres off your mates ute is a prank.
    if you did any of those 'pranks' to me you'd find yourself in court.
    The first is assault.
    The second is vandalism
    The third is vandalism (which could cause a house fire so it's also arson)
    The 4th is theft.
    Offences in which people have to face a Court of Law for every day of the week.

I cut firewood... to burn in my fireplace.
    Do I have a permit?? No!!
    Where do I get a permit from??
    Exactly what laws, or what sections of what Acts have I broken??
    You've done the year and a bit in studying Conservation & Land Management so you should know if you can quote Acts.

Exactly what laws or Acts are broken in burning a tree with no apparent nest in it as there are only reports of no nests been in this particular tree.

This is what I mean by he who has not sinned cast the first stone.
    You may think your holier then though but when it boils down your a criminal in some peoples eyes...including mine

This particular act of the burning of a particular tree was silly, and admittedly thoughtless, but exactly what laws have been broken.
    The acts (mentioned in brown above) that are seemed to be pranks by one person are illegal acts to others.

Getting a great big bag of horse-shit and lighting it on someones doorstep verses setting a dead tree on fire in the middle of a body of water. Who is the worse offender??

To me it's the pot calling the kettle black.

Theo, Nagg states in his initial response that he phoned Foxy immediatly when he started this thread and explained that "AT NO STAGE WAS AND EAGLES NEST SET ON FIRE" so what exactly are you seeking disclosure on??

he's apologised and admitted it was an ill thoughtout prank.what more do you ppl want???

this would have went straight to the bottom of the pile had there been no mention of an eagles nest.
    No love its not new...i've had that reel for ages

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    if you did any of those 'pranks' to me you'd find yourself in court.
    The first is assault.
    The second is vandalism
    The third is vandalism (which could cause a house fire so it's also arson)
    The 4th is theft.
    Common laws in which people have to face a Court of Law for every day of the week.

Well finga this is what I'm getting at!

The actions of this particular person is illegal, as are the actions as you have pointed out above. However, where do we draw the line in the sand as to what is and what isn't a prank? It's pretty obvious to me that settling ablaze a tree in the middle of a recreational waterway is not a prank, and is not only a dog act, but it is extremely dangerous, and thats where we draw the line. Throwing an egg on someones roof you could classify as harmless, but when lighting a tree on fire with boats passing by (not only holding fuels, but also batteries etc) then that must be seen as dangerous - agree? Persons passing by may have been effected, but fortunately there wasn't.

I'm glad you've mentioned the two words I was trying to stray from using - arson & vandalism. Take your pick. One of those two has occured in this incident. I'm sure we can make our own minds up on that matter.

Theo
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    Well finga this is what I'm getting at!

The actions of this particular person is illegal, as are the actions as you have pointed out above. However, where do we draw the line in the sand as to what is and what isn't a prank? It's pretty obvious to me that settling ablaze a tree in the middle of a recreational waterway is not a prank, and is not only a dog act, but it is extremely dangerous, and thats where we draw the line. Throwing an egg on someones roof you could classify as harmless, but when lighting a tree on fire with boats passing by (not only holding fuels, but also batteries etc) then that must be seen as dangerous - agree? Persons passing by may have been effected, but fortunately there wasn't.

I'm glad you've mentioned the two words I was trying to stray from using - arson & vandalism. Take your pick. One of those two has occured in this incident. I'm sure we can make our own minds up on that matter.

Theo
    Exactly what laws are broken??
    If you can categorically state that the actions of a particular person are illegal you must know what the particular laws are.

If I see that a tree is on fire I don't motor towards it in the boat.
    Same as in a car...ooh look. There's a bush fire. I better drive towards it.
    That would be just plain dumb.

You might think throwing an egg at my house is harmless. I differ.
    By throwing an egg at my home you have broken a law and if you missed the roof and the said egg went through a window and broke the urn holding the remains of my nana then is that a 'soft' law you have broken??

How can someone breaking one law be less offensive as compared to somebody breaking another law (if a law has been broken)??

It's been a while since I studied the various Acts you mentioned (or their predecessors) when I was studying towards a Bachelor of Environmental Science majoring in Policy and Management (seeing we're chucking courses of study about) and my memory may be faded a bit so could you please refresh my memory as the the Acts and the clauses of said Acts which tell us burning a tree is , for a want of a better word, naughty....really naughty....

Hi Steve i haven't had time to read all the posts but i had a read of yours mate thanks for saying gday it's nice to hear from a local, as it's your community this has happened in.

Thanks for the phone call as well it's good to hear what you have been upto.

No stress with fireplaces at all, they are a special part of our culture. I just thought that the particular fireplace talked about on this site drew attention in the wrong way and did nothing for our future fireplace enjoyment. Atleast it being on the net has finally made someone accountable. If lessons are learn't we can all move on. Time will tell.

Anyway thanks again for the call, there seem to be some good ideas for the future floating around, i'll catch you on Awoonga, Monduran or the salt one day.

I'm off to throw some lures at some little tacker barra, i hope to get a surface bite in the next hour on video. It's Cool fun, why most of us went fishing in the first place i reckon. No fish last night, but i saw what i thought were a set of 12ft Gecko eyes, and proceeded to take a few more steps back from the bank...
    I saw some big pigs last week too.

Life's good mate take it easy,
    Cheers Lyndon.