Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lucanus skirt jig

lucanus skirt jig

Hi peoples, just wondering if anyone's tried a lucanus skirt on a jig head for bass, yella's ect.... heading to lake mac tomorrow to try it out. pushed it onto a 1/4 tt head with a spinner bait stinger. if it goes alright i will match skirts with head colours.
    What do think YAY or NAY?

Re: lucanus skirt jig

NAY.......

Many bass anglers have tried them on Aussie bass (because they are so successfull on largemouth in the US) they catch the odd bass here, but far from proven techniques.

Bass fishing is hard enough at the best of times, no need to make it harder.

Try blades, T-tail and curl tail grubs and spinnebaits at this time of the year.

Best of luck

Matt

thanks matt,
    was fishing at my local dam the other day, fish were schooled active an on the bottom an the only thing they were taking was sp's this is were i got the idea from. I tried blades an baits without a single touch but faintest of touches on the sp's but i'm a glutten for punishment so i'm going to try it all the same. the skirt does look a little large maybe reaction only. thanks again.

i bought a couple the other day dom to try off the rocks i got 2 60 gram ones jsut to see so far no hits but i only tried it for about 10 mins and went back to my gillies pillchards
    what size are you gunner use

these aren't the full jig only the skirt put on a fine wire nip, just playing again.

lucanus skirt?

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

There is a tiny lucanus jig available that I thought about using last year - but at over $20 a pop - that was half a carton

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by denuchi View Post
    Hi peoples, just wondering if anyone's tried a lucanus skirt on a jig head for bass, yella's ect.... heading to lake mac tomorrow to try it out. pushed it onto a 1/4 tt head with a spinner bait stinger. if it goes alright i will match skirts with head colours.
    What do think YAY or NAY?
    I remember a few local Tawoomba guys using them about 2 years ago, they were small lucanus styles, more bay rubbers, but in about 10-20 gram heads and they smashed the fish.

Don't know much more then this though sorry.

Cheers

Lee

I'll find out the brand today ...... might grab one for somerset - start a new wave trend

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I've been playing around with adding similar trailers/bling to my chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, some hardbodies & even jackall TN60's to bulk them up (hate 60's always use 70's/doozers if I can) and blades etc for the past 2 summers - with mixed success/failure.....

I havent reached a verdict yet, but my experience with yella's & cod has been mixed and I think that when the fish are switched on you could put a smelly sock in front of them and they will hit it...lol....

I have been mainly using trailers that are about 5-6inches long.

All I can say is try it. Thinking outside the box sure gets you some strange looks from other fisho's......but you never know unless you give it a go?

Good luck

Hi Denuchi,

Your right in theory jigs do work but like most lures you need a tuned version for the most success. The best Rubber Skirted Jigs available locally are the TD Handa Jig, a micro jig, there are two verions and different weight ranges. Football Head for open water and deeper applications and Cobra Head, for cover stratergy. Though most tourny guys stick to the basics, fishing a jig at the right time will outfish anything else, just ask Brett Thomson. In my experience jigs work best from Spring through to Autumn around the full moon when crayfish shed their shells. Lakes such as Maroon and Hinze I have personally caught over 50 fish a day on jigs. You may find as I did using a trailer will eliminate short bites which will result in the fish engulfing the bait (no taps feed bite) also rolling on the bottom riding true. Bear in mind this is not a chuck and wind technique you will have to practice and it can be tricky to get the fish to load.

Remember there's more than 4 ways to catch a bass.

Good Luck mate.

Chris Galligan

Righto ..... I picked up a Duel (Salty Rubber CAST) - 5g today ... but @ around $23 its not cheap .

Funnily ..... I bumped into another Ausfisher at the tackle shop who was there to buy the same thing

now .... will it work ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I'll find out the brand today ...... might grab one for somerset - start a new wave trend

Chris
    it that as well as the gay blades chris lol

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    it that as well as the gay blades chris lol

no mate ..... thats just another type of blade
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by The Cowboy View Post
    Hi Denuchi,

Your right in theory jigs do work but like most lures you need a tuned version for the most success. The best Rubber Skirted Jigs available locally are the TD Handa Jig, a micro jig, there are two verions and different weight ranges. Football Head for open water and deeper applications and Cobra Head, for cover stratergy. Though most tourny guys stick to the basics, fishing a jig at the right time will outfish anything else, just ask Brett Thomson. In my experience jigs work best from Spring through to Autumn around the full moon when crayfish shed their shells. Lakes such as Maroon and Hinze I have personally caught over 50 fish a day on jigs. You may find as I did using a trailer will eliminate short bites which will result in the fish engulfing the bait (no taps feed bite) also rolling on the bottom riding true. Bear in mind this is not a chuck and wind technique you will have to practice and it can be tricky to get the fish to load.

Remember there's more than 4 ways to catch a bass.

Good Luck mate.

Chris Galligan

Hi chris, thanks for the info.

I have purchased these td jigs some time ago an honestly only used them a couple of times. too me they don't look like anything swimming but then again look at spinnerbaits. your right every lure has a time an place an i too have my confidence lures. sounds like you have faith in them so i'll have to give them more time. thanks

dom