Thread: Flame Grilled Oyster's with Prawn and Scallop's

Flame Grilled Oyster's with Prawn and Scallop's

If you like to man the BBQ try this at night your guests will love it. The Flames will light up your table. It's ok it's all part of the Show.... You've got it under control!

WHAT'S NEEDED:
    1doz half shell oyster's. (Pacific wide shell work best)
    1doz scallops. (your preff here)
    500 gram or so of green prawn. (Tiger's handle the heat plus good colour)
    Honey
    Olive oil
    Canola oil. (Gives a nice smokey aroma)
    Sesame oil
    Good old Salt pepper.(try and use rock salt and cracked black pepper)
    Grated cheese( Try and use a light cheddar)
    2 x long handle Tongs
    A light dry white wine. (Cockatoo range works well or your preff)
    A pre made side salad or chip's your preff.
    Pre chopped fresh garlic.( place chunky garlic in Canola oil and let settle/fuse)

FIRE UP THAT BBQ:

Working Temp for BBQ should be around Med. (that's because your working with Raw flame, easier to control)

(TIPS) Work fast but gently try not to over handle the scallops or prawns.

PREP TIME:
    Step1 Dip oyster's in Canola oil. (Only cover the underside of the shell)
    Step2 Top dress oysters with grated cheese.(lightly pepper)
    Step3 With your garlic fused olive oil introduce your prawns and let settle.
    Step4 Very lightly coat scallops with Sesame oil.

(Tips) Here's where you pace it up a little.

Step1 With your long tongs load oyster's/Prawns/ Scallops onto Open Ribbed
    Grill.
    Step2 Let the flames jump and rise over, you should have a heap of smoke you
    Beauty that's perfect. Now shut the lid only for a few seconds.(This lets
    the smoke flavour your dish.)
    Step3 Once you have colour on both Prawns and scallops remove all to the flat
    grill that includes the oysters.
    Step4 With lid closed drop your heat right back and let all cook for a short while.
    Step5 If the cheese on the oysters has melted and the scallops are still tender in
    middle.... Your DONE!
    Step6 Plate up and drizzel Scallops with a very light tracer of honey.
    step7 Serve with your preff of side dishes.

ENJOY:
    Gav.

Re: Flame Grilled Oyster's with Prawn and Scallop's

that sounds like a cracker Gav.

Its now on my 'must try' list.

Question re the scallops...are they just the scallop itself, or could you do it in the half shell like the oysters to give a little forgiveness in the cooking time. Am thinking a squeeze of lime juice or lemon juice to give a bit of zing to that honey.

Sorry for being an inquisitive bugger....my mind really starts ticking over when I see a recipe I just KNOW will work....and then what I can do to put my own touch to it.

Greg

Greg
    Yeah go the half shell scallop. Good idea(this may be easier for the first trial run)

Lime and honey with scallops flame grilled yep thumbs up. Tweek her all the way.

Cheers
    Gav.

I think I might need to read this a few times, it seems more than just a tad complicated and/or hard to follow (well to my simple mind anyway)

Thats ok Noel, I had to read it a couple of times myself. I think step 3 in the prep may trip a couple up because of the terminology. Maybe Gav could expand on it.

Lots of steps may make a dish sound complicated, but once you read it a few times you find out that it isnt that complicated. A lot of recipes are made to sound simple by having too few steps....leaving the person reading them to make some assumptions or misinterpret the instructions because they have left out small steps that they take for granted the person reading it will know what you should do.

Things like "step 1 - render the chocolate..step 2 - pour chocolate into mold" sounds simple....but it assumes you know how to render chocolate...which is highly skilled process.

I have a background in Training and development, as would many Ausfish members, and breaking down tasks into steps is critical to having people perform the task correctly. Miss a step or two and the task seems impossible.

If you have a question about any recipes or how you do a certain step..by all means ask away. I love contributing recipes to this section and would hope if anyone has a question about how you do a certain thing in one of them, you would ask me the question....in the forum...because it means I havent explained it properly...which gives me feedback on my ability to explain myself...not on your ability to understand me or the recipe. Its a learning curve for all of us. I am sure Gav would have the same view.

Greg

maybe he should have typed it a bit slower for us slow thinkers!