Thread: please help me find fishing spots Moreton bay

please help me find fishing spots Moreton bay

I have a family member out from Overseas and am desperately looking for any really good spots to take him fishing as we have limited time. We were out in the boat 2 days ago but had no luck at all / we have a small boat so wont be able to outside of Moreton bay.

We found some GPS co ordinates for Harry Atkinson reef / is this still considered a hot spot? If i should know about any specific baits - this would also assist.

> What type of fish should we be expecting to catch at this time of year?

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you
    buit

Re: please help me find fishing spots Moreton bay

Harrys would be a good starting spot. They have just added the Tiwi Pearl (new sunken ship) to the area at Harrys. A search on the internet or through this site should give co ordinates for this. It's no big secret.

Just look for the crowd and sound around

Snapper have moved into the bay and are becoming more commonly sought. If bottom bashing then I would suggest Pillies or a squid bait unless you know how to handle a soft plastic.

Cheers
    Chris

Thank you very much for your help Chris, appreciate it!

Charleville did a thread called how to catch a feed in moreton bay. Highly recommend looking for and reading that thread. Some cracker information and a great read. Well worth a look

grab a copy of bush and beach and qld fishing monthly, good staring pointers in these mags ,both have moreton bay write ups

Fish where you normally go. Can't expect to go to a new spot and catch good fish the first time.

What is biting - read the reports. Few snapper around and snapper and bream in the estuaries.

sure bet would be to book a charter with smithy, he advertises on ausfish, always catching the fish.

curtin artificial on the western side of moreton island can often produce good fish at this time of year

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

there has been some good catches of spotted macs in the rainbow channel .
    Hilly

Most places will work better towards the turn of the tide than in the middle of the run. Try and organise your fishing forays to get to a spot 2 hours before so you are set up and ready for action. I do not know where you intend on fishing primarily, but there are one or two spots along the inside of Moreton Island drop off that produce good captures this time of the year. Try out from the pine trees just north of Bulwer in 14-16m of water. This section of the drop off crumbled and scattered the area with boulders along the old drop off. Currents are quite high but an hour before and after a turn are easily fishable. Be prepared to tie lots of rigs.
    Jack.

Hi 'Built', perhaps you could try the mouth of Bribane river around the terminals and the rock wall instead? You should be able to pick up squire/snapper, cod, bream, flahead and tailor.

You must fish the tides correctly, or the results wont be that great. The old 2 hours before and after tide. The run-out in particular can be very good for flat head and squire, whilst i find the run in pretty good for bream.

Fresh bait is a must particularly pilchards, fresh prawns and mullet.

As for plastics, anything from the old 2" prawn to 5" jerk shads. Work your lures very slowly.

All the best,

Regards.
    "A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work"