Thread: Never Fail Crunchy Chips

Never Fail Crunchy Chips

Here's a quick way too knock up crunchy chips. Great for a fast fish and chip dish or for what ever else is on the menue.

WHAT'S NEEDED:

1 Potatoe peeler (I found the old school plastic one's work best)
    1 Deep fryer or solid copper pot fryer
    1 to 1 and a half ltr's of good cooking oil (Not from B.P)
    1 kitchen strainer
    A handfull of good sized Spud's.

HERE'S WHAT TO DO:
    Step1: Heat oil in fryer or pot. Keep oil at frying temp.
    (TIP'S) If you have gas you Beauty, But keep an eye on it

Step2 : Peel your spud's
    Step3: Discard spud skins
    Step4: Continue too peel spud's
    (TIP'S) rotate spud in hand to ensure an even cut this allow's you to get the most out of your spud.
    Step5: gather spud peelings and wash/rise in strainer.
    Step6: Slowly add spud peeling's into your fryer.
    (TIPS) BEWARE of excess water and try not to over load fryer. Oil temp must be
    kept as high as possible.
    Step7: Fry untill golden brown or light and crunchy.
    Step8: Strain excess oil from chips and serve with your preff of seasonings.
    Step9: CRUNCH away it's that easy!

Cheer's Gav.

Re: Never Fail Crunchy Chips

Good one mate. Will try that with the battered whiting. Cheers

good on ya Gav. great to see some quality methods for tasty side dishes.

Ausfish Masterchef is alive and well.

Greg

Greg,

Hey look you've got some pretty hot dishe's yourself, with some of your dishes I can see some solid natural tallent. Many years ago I've knocked around in some pretty good kitchens. Grumpy's wharf was the best and the french kitchen's teach you all about flavour fushion methods sound's a little high tech. But keep it simple is by far the best way to knock up a nice dish.

Some fella's here have some really good idea's. I've watched this post for a while now, so I though well what the hell, I'll share some of my favorites.

cheer's Gav.

Thanks for the kind words Gav. There is a wealth of untapped talent amongst Ausfishers in the culinary stakes. I am a big fan of simple but tasty cooking. I also appreciate fusion methods...though my preference is for asian/french, asian/italian methods. Fusion sounds high tech and complicated but it isnt...its about geting the right balance of flavours. In my early years after leaving home and venturing to another state as a single bloke, and having a job which meant I was living in motel rooms and eating in restaraunts 3 weeks out of four. Becoming a regular single diner at quite a few meant i got to know the chefs, and often finished up in the kitchen discussing techniques and recipes, and playing around with stuff.

I started trying to replicate and alter some of my favourites when i was home...and found that a way to a girls heart was through her stomach...hehehe...despite the age old saying that is the opposite. That was enough incentive for me to really get stuck into cooking...being a single bloke living in the inner suburbs of melbourne....where dinner parties were all the rage.

Eventually got married and moved back to NSW. Bought a property in a country town called Picton. It had some nice restaraunts run by some very high profile chefs which we became friends with...and once again i found myself trying to replicate and alter some of my favourite dishes at home.

Messy divorce and I find myself moving to Qld to be closer to my siblings and nieces and nephews. Getting another job that is on the road...i meet up with an old mate in Cairns who has followed his dream and become a chef, and I am back into the food experimentation again.

I am no expert by any means...but I have learnt from some very good teachers...and the biggest lesson is dont be afraid to experiment, and keep it as simple as you can.

Cooking is as big a hobby with me as fisihing....and they go together very well.

Cheers
    Greg

Greg,
    Hey that's ok. Give credit where credit it due I say.from what you've just let me know, I can see many similar reasons why I ended up working beside good chefs.

It's true what they say you've got to experience the Pro kitchen in full swing to understand the vibe it's truely another world.

After many a year flew by I later walked away from the Hospitality lifestyle. It soon became Eat/ Sleep (if any) Work. Play didn't exsist. I needed too cut loose. So now It's a Hobby.

When the weather turns bad for fishing I'll end up back in the kitchen. I call it the (Lab) bending twisting tweeking flavour's.

Hey here's a simple starter FLAME GRILLED half shell oyster's with scallops and green prawn. I used to have this for smoko at Grumpy's Wharf.

Cheer's I'll P.M
    Gav.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Benben86 View Post
    Good one mate. Will try that with the battered whiting. Cheers
    you give me a call ill help you eat the whiting mate im drooling
    Hilly

Haha anytime hilly. I love my whiting. I leave the tails on when filleting so the kids have a handle and I get a crispy morsel after the flesh is gone. Kids don't eat the fins so I get them all. I need to get my but into gear and catch some more whiting.