Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Johnson 60hp 4 stroke service

Re: Johnson 60hp 4 stroke service

tell me about it i just got my 2008 22hp verado back from a service and a $698 bill ,, i near fell over ,filter , impeler gear lube eng oil, fuel filter all smart craft tests and 5 hrs labour @ $ 88a hr .... still nead plugs holy crap i reckon all good 4 a 100 hrs now thank god

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    Noel, Are you saying they should not be dear compared to a 2 stroke. Curious as to why you think they are too dear?
    no no, not at all, but it SEEMS that a lot of dealers are selling motors for tiny profits, but slugging for a service later on, a 4 stroke service maybe a bit dearer than a 2 because of the oil change and filter, but they should not be all that far apart (well I reckon) a service is good value if the dealer does all that is necessary, there is plenty around who do bugger all and still charge the full amount.

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

$88 per hr crazy money, if you work 6days a week and 10 hr days not bad wages .Hilly

It seems crazy money but as Gary said the cost of doing business is crazy too. If you have to rent a premises, do the bookwork or pay for it , insurance, GST ect ect. I think the electrician who charges 60 of the chippy who charges 50 is better off.

Blog Entries

maybe that's why Moterama marine(old Springwood marine )gave me the cheapest quote for my new motor they own their premises.
    Hilly

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    maybe that's why Moterama marine(old Springwood marine )gave me the cheapest quote for my new motor they own their premises.
    Hilly
    Hilly did you ask them what there hourly rate is for service work there
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

What do they do that takes 5 hours?

well they took gear box of f and new impeler in, lube gear linkages water pump checks , smart craft tests and power steer fluid and checks and what ever else they do i spose .....

While $80+ per hour seems extravegant, it really is not, there is a lot of costs in running a business, remember the guy working on your motor needs to be insured, needs to be paid, needs to have super paid, needs holidays paid, needs sick leave paid, all sorts of things are part and pacel of employing someone, a general rule of thumb (very general) a person costs the company twice their weekly pay! and all this is long before rents, tools and other expenses are taken into account, sure there maybe a few out there who side step a few of these things, and do "cheap" work, but as a general rule, they do not last as long term businesses, they open and close in the first year or two.

Blog Entries

well fellas having been a nurseryman growing plants and having retail outlets (nurseries)430am starts till dark 3 weeks off in 20 yrs 7 days a week employing 16 staff im just saying it is to costly to have you guys service my boats.now im retired
    aged 56 cheers Hilly

Yeah $80 dollars an hour today is pretty much the rate a person might consider if it's a big safe job or they feel the need to undercut the competition when business tendering etc.

As long as it's an honest $100p/h, it's not extraordinary today, consultants often pull $120 p/h and often these jokers are those that history has shown couldn't hold down a salary in the same industry their now consulting in...what's a lawyer or another true profession look to pull these days.

Although it's not nice to have to pay these rates.

The only problem is they charge by the book. IT may only take 1 hour but charge you 3 hours .

Quote Originally Posted by timddo View Post
    The only problem is they charge by the book. IT may only take 1 hour but charge you 3 hours .
    Thats the crunch one and thats why a mobile mechanic is handy. You know exactly the amount of time they put in and they don't charge you for all those other things that can take up their time. They can also show you how to go about doing your own serviceing.

Hilly.......... Time to smell the flowers now. Are you going to do your own serviceing as well. I just ordered three impellers etc for my motors and will give it a go.
    Last edited by Jarrah Jack; 02-07-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling again

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Yeah $80 dollars an hour today is pretty much the rate a person might consider if it's a big safe job or they feel the need to undercut the competition when business tendering etc.

As long as it's an honest $100p/h, it's not extraordinary today, consultants often pull $120 p/h and often these jokers are those that history has shown couldn't hold down a salary in the same industry their now consulting in...what's a lawyer or another true profession look to pull these days.

Although it's not nice to have to pay these rates.
    it might be the going rate these days but believe me i personally made more money than my opposition simply by being the cheapest in the field.

Hilly