Thread: Baffle & Burrum help

Baffle & Burrum help

A mate and I are taking the wives to Baffle this Friday for 3 days to have a look around and then onto Burrum Heads for another 3 days. Original plan was to leave the boat at home but the ladies have decided they want to have a bit of a fish so the boat will be coming.
    Not after Spot X locations(but I won't knock them back) but would appreciate any advice given.
    Dave
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Re: Baffle & Burrum help

Dave
    Watch the Baffle, plenty of shallow rock bars. Might be some prawn around at the moment up there and should be flathead and whiting on the flats towards the front. Try bream on the left hand turn just past boaga (heading towards the mouth.) A little creek feeds off to the right and just before and after here there are good hooes where there could be some cod.
    At the Burrum you're best off going across to the black bank and heading upstream to the swirls just near walkers poiint boat ramp. There might be some cod around there. THe flats south of the swirls have some whopper whiting. Worms or prawns are the go. Watch for stingrays there are thousands of em there. Might be some good bream fruther upstream too. Just past Walkers point ramp on the north side there is a good rocky point that might have a cod hanging around.
    jim

Hi Dave,

I haven't been able to get out on the baff for the last few weeks due to work commitments but previous to that I was getting a few flathead using soft plastics around the islands and sand banks off flat rock boat ramp.

This time last year there were some good bream and whiting (both in the 35+ range) to be had around the yabby bank on the island opposite the winfield boat ramp. As I mentioned earlier, I haven't had a chance to fish in the last month but all the bream I was catching before that had ulcers around the tail (likely the result of the large fresh we had this year).

I'd be happy to give you more directions in person but i'm heading to teewah tomorrow for some beach fishing.

Swirls is the go at Burrum, but Black Bank hasnt been fishing that well lately. If you go up river a bt more, Buxton Hole is worth a go. Use google maps and do a print out and laminate it for the boat. Youll appreciate knowing where the sandbars are.

Mosly Tailor, Whiting, Flathead, around. Odd Queenie, Cod. try for Golden Trevally off the sandbar dropoffs near the mouth of Burrum.

cheers
    Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Hi mate,

My mates and I did a trip to baffle last december mainly mud crabbing and make sure your careful navigating, because it is ridiciously shallow in some areas. I can't stress this enough. It's a good idea to have a spare prop with you.

Can't really comment on the fish, but can't see why you shouldn't be able to pick up a feed, this time of year.

We caught probably 60 -70 crabs with 12 pots in our 3 days there, but only manage a few legal bucks.

Have a good time.

Cheers
    Scott

Baffle and Burrum are my 2 favourite spots thats for sure Yes the Baffle bites props be very careful and im speaking from experience.

Gotta love the new bitumen to baffle boatramp

How'd the fishing trip end up Callop?