Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Mondy Incident...

The Mondy Incident...

Left here around 3am Friday morning, drove out to meet Steve at Yaraman by 4.30am.
    Arrived at Monduran around 8am. We set the tent up, got the boat and fishing gear ready.
    Hit the water by about 9.30am Friday morning. This is going to be great.
    Found a nice little bay that looked fishy (the whole bloody place looks fishy to me!)
    Dropped the electric in and cruised into a nice little spot to start casting our arms off.

I pulled out the mighty Egrell S10 that Eric built for me last month (replaced my Bear S10).
    Armed that with the Certate 3500HD, 30lb Nitlon braid, 60lb wind on leader and a Lorikeet slick rig.
    First cast way out the back of the boat, just to make sure all the line is sitting well and all is good.
    Second cast not bad for a backhand, but might stand on the back platform of the boat for a better angle.
    Third cast, pretty good about 1m from the bank. But whats this....

I slipped on the platform, arms automatically reaching out for something to stop me going in.
    I dropped the rod straight over the side, starring at it in total disbelief as is dropped out of view.
    OK, jump in and get it. Oh don’t forget the phone in your pocket, oh yeah your new glasses also.
    You should take off the three layers of clothing you have on, you might drown.
    Rod gone by now. Start swearing and feeing like passing out.

Steve asks what is wrong and after letting him know, he said, “no don’t jump in mate, we will drag it up”.
    Checked the sounder, 6m deep, we should be a chance. So after numerous attempts at dropping different lures down, it was time to jump in.
    Just as I started emptying pockets, Steve spotted my line still floating near the bank.
    Hooks it with his second attempt, we are a chance here.
    Slowly pulled the line tight on the reel and felt the sensation of the line flowing of the spool.
    Yes, the bail arm is still open. Try dropping lures down the line to the spool, no good.
    The whole time Steve was trying, I was gently pulling line from the spool and finally it gripped and the rod started coming up.
    I had bought the reel second hand and had no idea how the braid was attached at the end.
    Lucky the knot was a large one and the braid got caught on it.
    Rod and Reel back safe and sound, you bloody beauty what an introduction to dam fishing!!!!

But wait it’s not over....

Later in the day after finding a huge school of bass and throwing a large blade lure at them, with no luck, we cruised off to another spot.
    When we stopped, Steve went to move up to the front of the boat. There was a bit of a clanging of rods and reels in the side rod storage.
    The blade had jumped out and bitten into Steves pants! Couldn’t get it out, so Steve asked for the knife to cut it out.
    After a minute or two I heard a funny tone to Steves voice as he said: “Shit mate, I think I owe you a new rod....”.
    The force of the lure catching his pants had driven the tip of the rod into the front platform and snapped off the top 8 inches of it.

The rod was destined to die that day.

I rang Eric on Saturday night to let him know what had happened.
    He said that If I send him the broken one he will build a new one under warranty as it is under six months old.
    Only the guides can be used from the broken rod, so I think that is just an amazing deal.
    He really appreciated my honesty in telling him what happened and not making up a story about breaking it while fishing.

All I have to do is pay for postage, which Steve has already paid me for.

Had a few "Gumby" moments over the weekend, but this was by far my best.
    One other was pointing at a fish swirl, then realising it was after my lure and I had missed it... D##khead.

Red

Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Re: The Mondy Incident...

Ahhh - the 'Mondy Curse' strikes again. Another tale of woe from Lake Misery.

At least you had a happy ending Red....

See you in September?

Regs

Pete & Kyle

red the story sounds better now i didnt hear the first part of it on the weekend, we were talking about it saturday night and was wondering if it could get replaced,eric is a top fella and backs his rods to the hilt thats why he has got such a great reputation of looking after his customers .

Getting the legs of my fishing trousers taken in a bit Red. Duh!!!!!

Red, lost my brand new Egrell out the back of the boat last year at full speed never to be seen again, 13m of water - know how you must have felt for awhile. Well done getting it back even though it got damaged in the end. Actually got mine replaced under my household insurance policy. - Richard

Classic story. Dropped my bait caster over the side at the Borumba Bash. Did the drag the lure thing and by using a crank bait, managed to hook it after a while. Like you - very relieved.

Steve

Red. I changed my signature slightly

funny story. good to see you can have a laugh at yourself mate. ive broken a nice rod by stepping around in a pitching boat. did you catch any fish after all this?

No fish mate. Roughly 30 of us fishing over 2 days.
    One fish landed... and not by me.
    Cheers and thanks.

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Hey Red. They look to be on the chew a bit again. Feel like another drive?? Dam this thing called work

No mate, have family showing up this week.
    Cheers and thanks.

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Good story Red and better than a massage with a "Happy Ending"

Great to meet u both and hope u can make the Muster.

Pete

Lol Red. You are not the first and will definitely not be the last to break or lose a rod at Mondy. The brothers of destruction (aka Navi and Vinny) are true demigods when it comes to wrecking or losing fishing equipment, or being injured....lost rods, trebles in heads, falling overboard, getting caught between the legs on an electric fence, running into fishing pylons, wrapping lines around their head, recoiling lures off a snag into their head.....it goes on and on

Cheers
    Paul

Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Excellent Paul, they are some great pics!
    I'm glad no one had a camera on me when I dropped it...
    Cheers and thanks.

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Quote Originally Posted by LostNearBribie View Post
    Excellent Paul, they are some great pics!
    I'm glad no one had a camera on me when I dropped it...
    I was too busy thinkin hook the braid.... hook the braid to even think about a camera. I may be more composed next time tho mate