Thread: Yorke peninsula crabbing

Yorke peninsula crabbing

http://www.postcards.sa.com.au/featu..._crabbing.html

Saw a programme tonight on raking up Blue swimmer crabs ( Sand Crabs), while wading at low tide. What a way to go.
    David

Re: Yorke peninsula crabbing

I remember doing that in the estuary near Bunbury W.A. as a kid , bloody good fun too. Ben

I remember doing that in the estuary near Bunbury W.A. as a kid , bloody good fun too. Ben
    Talking about Australind ? Awsome down there, Similarly the Mandurah Esturay.

I grew up down that way. Pretty much lived off Blue Manners.

So Cape York might be a goer for some scoop nets eh ...

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

ahhh, SA... NM

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

yeah i remember starting to do that when i was 5, a little daunting the first time but after that its all good. So much fun and a great way to spend time with mates and family.

cheers Lee

Yeah pridey thats the one. Lived in Burekup and used to get prawns and crabs out of the estuary at australind and huge bream and jew from the river. Can still remember hearing the jew croaking as they swam past. Ben

Good old Cornsey!!

I did a lot of crabbing on the yorke peninsula in my younger days,
    can be real productive, and a great way to spend the day

the other good thing we would do is target the same area after dark with hand spears for flounder. low tide again. Always get a good feeed
    Cheers,

Ben

I saw a show a little while ago where they were towing (trolling) a bloke behind a boat in about 5 feet of water, and when the bloke saw a crab he would let go of the rope and poke the crab with a stick, and the crab would grab the stick then would get picked up. Looked like great fun.

cheers

Mick

Its great fun and exercise.

Its tough work too, many a crabbing trip involved parking the car, walking to the beach and then walking kilometres in knee to hip water in 35 to 40 degree temperatures.

You need a good heart as you always get a fright when you step on a crab and it rears up from under your feet or it grabs your boot or sneaker.

good stuff,