Thread: Are all genuine Shimano Reels made in Malaysia?

Question Are all genuine Shimano Reels made in Malaysia?

Just looking at my new Stradic box and see that they are made and printed in Malaysia, just about to leave for that very destination for a 3 week holiday and wondering if someone knows where I can buy genuine Shimano gear!
    Thats another one for the Punisher!

Re: Are all genuine Shimano Reels made in Malaysia?

by what do you mean "genuine shimano gear". Shimano are just like every other tackle manufacturer, they source a lot of their product from 'external' suppliers. I believe they still have a factory in Malaysia...but I will stand corrected on that one. I have been in the 'show room' of a factory in Shenzen in China, and in there at the same time were people from Daiwa and Shimano placing orders for various reels ( I was there as the guest of Tica). Its a bit like going into the local GMH dealer and asking for a 'genuine Holden'. In the global market companies cannot set themselves up to manufacture everything they sell anymore......they must outsource many products and services, and a lot of these products are sold to other 'manufacturers' with cosmetic and minor engineering differences....hard cold economics. Everything is built to a price and a specification.

As in real shimano not copies.

what is a "real shimano" ?

What part of my post didnt you understand?

Let me be a bit more specific....the only reels that were made in Malaysia were the Baitrunners, and the Tritons (including the Tiagras)...all the rest were sourced out of various factories in china ( i thinkk there may have been a couple of others from Malaysia...but not many)

Hey Greg - I think he's talking about "copies" - i.e. As in how you can purchase "genuine" rolex watches for $10 in Malaysia etc. He wants to know if there is a "legit" shop in Malaysia were he can purchase Shimano.

That is what I meant Frank, I also read on an USA forum like this that most of the shimano gear is now made in Malaysia now only certain reels in Japan.

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

If it says "Made in Japan" it's probably a copy unless it is the very high end reels. TLDs and the like are made in Malaysia from what I can fathom. And the Malaysians seem to have a problem with putting much grease inside so good idea to check - my recent TLD and Tyrnos were both low on grease - a common issue on forums.

Quote Originally Posted by breakthelines View Post
    Just looking at my new Stradic box and see that they are made and printed in Malaysia, just about to leave for that very destination for a 3 week holiday and wondering if someone knows where I can buy genuine Shimano gear!
    Best bet would be to find a decent tackle shop in Kuala Lumpur or other major city. I think the rip offs would be mainly in the market and tourist areas.