Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: how to catch a feed of crabs in morton bay

Re: how to catch a feed of crabs in morton bay

For those that are interested you can buy the special lead weights for you rope from... ATS NETS and ROPES at Redcliffe, they are specially made for rope and have a varitey of sizes to suit 4mm up to 10mm i think. They also sell cheap rope, twine floats and netting, a lot of the pros and trawler guys buy from them.

I have also used Rosco's way with the lead and it works fine but have found to have less rope twisting using the special lead weights.

Cheers,
    Brian

hey brian,
    thanks for the info mate...you dont know there address by any chance do u...do they sell trawler netting...was thinking bout making some pots out of my old dilly rings..the dilly hoops i have are 10mm and 900 round so perfect for pots
    cheers rosco

Rosco,

Following is the info that you require.

ATS NETS AND ROPES
    8 BREWER ST CLONTARF
    PH 3284 1199
    www.atsnetsropes.com.au

I love the place, yes you can buy trawl mesh from there to make your own pots.

I don't have a supplier of free telecom rope so I buy rope from there, I also buy floats, shark clips, net and braid cutting scissors, fishing tubs, twine, lead wieghts for my ropes. As a keen kid I used to buy monofiliment nets and cut them up to make my own dillies but of course you can't do that any more.

Certainly recommended to all fishos and crabbers as a must place for a visit, think they close at 4pm mon to thurs and 3:30 on fridays.

Cheers,
    Brian

Roscoe.
    What is the drill when we get a big flush out like we have just had.I know thw crabs will be looking for a bit of salt, but how far will they go,and how long before they move back into the rivers and creeks.
    Cheers
    rando

rando,
    the muddies should be in the rivers and creeks again now ..give it a go
    cheers rosco

Rosco
    Tried the river yesterday for a 5hr soak a bit west of the boat passage.No Joy.
    moved the pots to the southern end of the boat passage for an overnight drop.
    Picked em up this morning. No joy.
    To add insult to injury, I was fiddling with the sounder on the way home and the cops stopped me .I was in a 6 knot zone, did not see the marker bouy.
    No excuses,,, I was not keeping sufficient watch, but the $200 hurts, especially with no job.

Cheers
    rando

rando try puttin your pots straight across from the boatramp..i get alot around there...just try and find the really soft mud....a bugger bout the fine mate
    cheers rosco

Hey all, sorry to dig up the thread excellent post by the way goes a long to helping a newbie.

So what's the consensus on the BCF pots, from reading the thread they are lighter than the others.

Is this fact or fiction?

Also with all the rain and flooding what are the river systems like now for muddies?

Will be in the tweed in a few weeks and hope to put some in.

Thanks!

g'day dadstinny,
    the cheap bcf pots are lighter than some of the other pots on the market but still catch well..u just have to add a bit more rope so they dont move in the current...bcf near me have a new heavier crab pot which sells for $40 each these are very similar to a pro crab pot and catch better than the standard cheap bcf pots..as for the muddies i would be crabbin the entrance to the rivers and creeks or just out the front of them on the mud flats.good luck with it mate hope u get a feed
    cheers rosco

well the crabs should start to move in the next few weeks so get your pots out and give them a lookover and fix them up,check the ropes and make sure they are correctly marked as per the regs...will be putting my pots out on the weekend for a go
    cheers rosco

Plenty of crabs out there at the moment, cleaned up the weekend before last on the muddies, Sandies are on the move in a big way, will be out there on Saturday to get a feed for the family.

As said by Roscoe, check your pots, ropes and floats to ensure they meet the regulations.

Cheers Lee

Judging buy what I caught out in the bay last weekend you guys should do well Ill look foward to the reports .
    Cheers Axl

its crabbin time again fellas.time to get into a few sandies....hope to get out again this weekend sometime.numbers should really increase over the next few weeks
    cheers rosco

Rosco. Being geting 3-4 in the river. Might go for a try at Green. Does the Banana banks towards peel island every fire as i will be camping on coochie in december.

Got 8 new pro crab pots on saturday and they are really well made. They are 10mm gal rings and comes with a bait bag built in ( 900mm). Plus got a few tips. $30 each though.

BCF have their 4 for $55 deal on again this week. Last time it was on, I only bought one and they charged me $13.75..... I wasn't about to hang around and question it