Thread: Viewing Lowrance HDS5 .USR file on computer

Viewing Lowrance HDS5 .USR file on computer

Hi,

I can't seem to view my marks that i have in a .USR file on my computer - i downloaded them onto an SD card from my HDS 5 and now have the file on my PC and want to view the co-ordinates

Does anyone know what software is needed ?

I've tried Lowrance GDM6, GPSBabel and my version of OZIExplorer but none can read the .USR file.

Is there any way to open this and view on my pc ?

Thanks,
    D

Re: Viewing Lowrance HDS5 .USR file on computer

I found this for me to use, but I am still installing my HDS, so I havent tried it yet. It does say HDS's are supported.

www.easygps.com

Free too

Thanks for the suggestion mate - i just installed it and got the following error.

"The Receive from GPS command could not be completed. An error occurred while receiving data from your Lowrance HDS-5m.
    EasyGPS cannot read version 4 USR files from your Lowrance HDS-5m GPS receiver. They use an undocumented binary format. Contact Lowrance tech support for further assistance"

Looks like it doesn't work with HDS units.....the search continues.

Cheers,
    D

I've used OziExplorer to view and edit my USR file from a HDS8. Off the top of my head I can't remember which version of USR was correct. I'm sure it was USR2 or USR3. Just a matter of experimenting.

Rhino...

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinoc View Post
    I've used OziExplorer to view and edit my USR file from a HDS8. Off the top of my head I can't remember which version of USR was correct. I'm sure it was USR2 or USR3. Just a matter of experimenting.

Rhino...

Thanks mate - I've tried but when i choose file--> configuration it only shows a handful of lowrance GPS receivers. How do you import your marks using Ozi Explorer ? Could I trouble you for some more info on configuration settings, been trying to figure this out all day!

Cheers,
    D

I just checked the computer and it's set to Lowrance in the make menu and in GPS model I have selected 'USR file'. As I said though I had to experiment a bit to get the right version of USR from the sounder which could talk to OziExplorer which I think was version 2 or 3. What I did was save a version of each USR format to the memory card and named them accordingly. Then simply attempt to load them into OziExplorer and see which version works. Once you know that it's just a matter of ensuring you always save in that format both ways.

I've not messed around that much but I was definitely able to play around with waypoints and save tracks from the sounder without a problem.

Rhino...

cool - thanks mate.

i've left the boat and the sounder up the coast so only have the file i downloaded to play with.

cheers,
    D

lowrance gdm6 is made to read the .usr file. you must be doing something wrong? file open or something like that? Or your file might be corrupted. GDM6 definatley works. I use it all the time with my lowrance waypoint .usr files

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    lowrance gdm6 is made to read the .usr file. you must be doing something wrong? file open or something like that? Or your file might be corrupted. GDM6 definatley works. I use it all the time with my lowrance waypoint .usr files
    maybe i am doing something wrong ? not sure mate.

i have the .usr file on my pc and when i load into GDM6 (using file --> open gps data file) the file seems like it loads but nothing appears on the chart or in the waypoint list - it doesn't seem to load anything ?

appreciate your thoughts,
    d

Dooly - I also use easygps with no troubles - make sure your have downloaded the latest version & selected your Lowrance model from the menue

You can view these in GoogleEarth too :-

Step 1: Save the attached files to a directory on your computer (e.g. c:\GPS)

Step 2: Open Google earth - Click on “File”, “Open” From the Menu

Step 3: Select the file type as “GPS (*.gpx *.loc)” and point to the file you wish to open (e.g. C:\GPS\.gpx)

Done

Most GPS units will import files in the GPX (GPS Exchange) format

Regards Scotto

I think I might know what the problem is....

I also have a HDS and have had previous Lowrance and Eagle models. Haven't saved from the HDS GPS to an SD yet but have uploaded .usr files to it from SD without any issues.

When you save a file to an SD card on the GPS you have options as to which version to save it as - at least on the earlier Eagle and Lowrance units you did, and I think the HDS will be the same.

The default version is wrong, and you need to change it to the other version, I cant remember what the name is but as I say, the one it defaults to doesnt work. I had the exact problem you have experienced and found that this was the solution. Once the file is saved as the correct version, GDM will open it fine.

The other thing is to use windows explorer to copy the file from the SD card to the Lowrance GDM "data" folder and open it from there - sometimes GDM doesn't like opening files from SD card readers for some unknown reason.

Cheers

ML

Quote Originally Posted by dooley View Post
    maybe i am doing something wrong ? not sure mate.

i have the .usr file on my pc and when i load into GDM6 (using file --> open gps data file) the file seems like it loads but nothing appears on the chart or in the waypoint list - it doesn't seem to load anything ?

appreciate your thoughts,
    d
    just tried mine...it.s file/open gps data file/xxxxx.usr and then open.
    If that doesnt work then maybee you can save it again or save it using the different format suggested above? you can check that the program is working correclty by creating your own waypoint list and saving as a .usr file and then re-opening. good luck

Lowrance has new choices when you save your waypoints from your GPS. This is an option on the 2007 models and if you have updated previous models. You will notice you have a choice of saving them as Version 2 or Version 3. Version 2 is the same format as you have saved them in the past. Version 3 saves the depth when you saved the waypoint. Version 3 can only be opened by a Lowrance GPS that allows use of Version 3 (make sure you update the software). MapCreate cannot open Version 3 but can open Version 2.
    I recommend you save both Version 2 and 3 for now and make sure you name them!

New HDS waypoint Version 4. This version has no use as of today but Lowrance must have some new data to be saved in this version. We will have to wait and see.

Regards Frank