View Poll Results: Bananas are bad luck ?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 43.01%
  • No

19 9.84%
  • What a load of superstitious bull !!

91 47.15%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Bananas and fishing

Re: Bananas and fishing

ha thats awesome. leave him in the toilet block at the ramp until he has really gotten rid of them.. one end or the other !

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

I used to never take bananas on board as like everyone said they were definately bad luck. Than by chance I am watching a show on telly a few years back about Facts, fiction rumors and such and an interesting topic came up on Banana on boats being bad luck and where this originated from. As I remember they said back, waaaay back when they sailed between islands around the world they relied heavily on food sourced from the main lands and islands along the way. Something that stood out was when Bananas were on board crews grew ill, some died and their other food rotted away quicker. bad luck for sure. They, (the experts) reckon The Bananas sped up the ripening of the other fruits and veg which we know to happen and some diseases were introduced with the fruit. Spiders and bugs were also brought on board and some being poisonous contributed to deaths amongst the crews. This they say was where the superstition started. I have taken bananas onboard since and cant say it has affected my catch rate or luck.
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

Quote Originally Posted by Willow1 View Post
    I have taken bananas onboard since and cant say it has affected my catch rate or luck.

Same here.

Although, I must confess that if I have had some over ripe ones, they have had the effect of making me a bit ripe as well.

'Tis just as well that I usually fish alone.

Thanks for the explanation. I had heard that one as well.

There are a few of these old "superstitions" and conventional wisdoms that originated from a time before the advent of refrigeration and reliable, fast steam transport.

Likewise in the Bible, there are a few directives about not eating certain foods and that makes sense because keeping things like crabs fresh in hot desert climates would have offered a few challenges 2000+ years ago. Somehow though, over time, those simple bits of wisdom about hygiene and the avoidance of stomach upsets have turned into religious dogma which I am sure would not be the same in a world of refrigeration, modern medicines and diesel transport.

We caught this one using a butterflied banana on 60lb braid east of Peel island.

Ho, ho. ho and a bottle of rum. the reading of this topic has been so much fun.

that's what i was hoping Bondy when i started it..

it has been fun reading all the stories out there..

Some time ago I heard that the citrus on the banana skin leaves a scent on your hands that mixes with bait. Anyone heard this before?

Interestingly a few days ago we were chasing reds and had a cracker of a session. On the way home I was cutting the pectoral fins off each fish (you got to do this or you get fined). I worked up a bit of a hunger and realised I had a banana in the tucker box. This was about the only successful trip out of the last half dozen, and the only with a banana in the boat!

Hey Bad Bubby I reckon this name of yours name is so prime that no banana could rule on your boat!

Take 3 kg bananas out next trip and I reckon you will smash them!

Cheers
    John
    Cairns

I've inherited my phobia of bananas on boats from this site. Only started fishing a couple of years ago, wanted to learn all that I could quickly, read forums on Ausfish and came to the conclussion that I shouldn't tempt fate. Henceforth we have never taken bananas fishing, family are just as stringent checking any of their friends who come fishing with us. Superstitious..........yes, but why mess with things
    "Queenslander!!"

I took my brother in law fishing to Somerset one day.

We hit the water, as we took off from the boat ramp some how his favourite jumped out of the rod holder, hit the edge of the boat and we broke his tip.
    Rod number 1 down before we started.

We started trolling the knoll / hump. After I had 6 fish my BIL was fairly unhappy.
    His count was nil, however he finally got a hit, but fish caught him awares, massive bird nest, line broke, lost lure and lost fish. Rod number 2 down.

Over the next couple of hours we swopped rods, swopped lures, changed sides and trolling runs, all to no avail for brother in law.

Fish count was 16 to me and 1 to brother in law. There was that much action that we had not had time for lunch.

So as we packed up the boat placed the lunchboxes in teh front of the car. Next thing I was belly aching laughing all the way up the road. Here in the brother in laws lunch box was a bright yellow banana.

This is just 1 of many stories. Too right to be a coincidence. Take bananas at your own peril.

Cheers
    Budgebass