View Poll Results: Bananas are bad luck ?

Voters
193. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

83 43.01%
  • No

19 9.84%
  • What a load of superstitious bull !!

91 47.15%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bananas and fishing

Re: Bananas and fishing

Pin, No wonder I got a donut in April

Well here's one.

Went out on a charter boat today from Mooloolaba to Barwon Banks, Spoted banana on board, unreal...anyway after speaking with the lads they thought it was all baloney.

Deckie told them they had an oriental woman on board complainign she never caught any fish and same of her friends, not long after they were seen eating bananas.

Deckies told lads throw that banana into the sea, which they did so in great style. and viola, they caught fish and spanner crabs to boot, not great numbers but better than zero.

and dumping rubbish into the ocean..top deckie that bloke.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    and dumping rubbish into the ocean..top deckie that bloke.
    Dont stress out Pinhead, bananas are biodegradable , unlike beercans and plastic that I've noticed some clowns throw overbaord instead of leaving it on the boat and place it in the bin when back on shore

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

your not grumpy pinhead cous your footy team did'nt win are you

Hilly

As far as bananas go they are real good luck
    About 23 years ago I went fishing in NZ (you know where the all blacks come from)
    Once I parked the car its about an hour walk over hills the goats wouldn't look at. Arrived with the essentials rod, tackle,bait and a half gallon jar of home brew in case of emergency)
    Went to bait up and bewdy got my daughters lunch instead
    Buggered if I am going back all that way!!!!
    So baited up with a bit of banana skin and had a snapper fairly quickly and used that as bait
    Going back was harder as had 2 10Lb snapper and released the rest (heaven)

Quote Originally Posted by gr hilly View Post
    your not grumpy pinhead cous your footy team did'nt win are you

Hilly
    LOL..no hilly..they are doing ok

Well I reckon bananas ruin ya fishing trip. Pull one out of your tucker box on my old mans boat and it means you have to swim home. Tell me thats not bad luck!

It wouldnt be fishing without a bit of superstition. OR a superstitious excuse to throw someone overboard !

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

Yeah, I think many went overboard to join Davey Jones's Locker in days gone by especially those in the floating wooden coffin boxes they call sailships, screw the banana, keep it on land.

Here ya go, definite proof that they are not bad luck.
    108cm barra caught by my deckie while he was eating a banana.
    Unfortunately got sharked on release despite our best efforts, hence the reason it is necked.

Awesome fish mate. where abouts is that.

Clearly a fake bannana though.

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

I'm convinced ...offshore sunday in crap conditions and nothing to report in the catching log ...then realised that I'd had banana on toast with peanut paste for brecky ...so the bloody things were still in the system ...never again ...sorry Brett my fault ...
    Cheers Tezza

One trip a few months back with my mid week Capt JB.....

Jumped in the boat at the ramp and my good captain pushed me off….. ok where’s the key? Oh O… where’s the f*cking key!!!!! As I was drifting towards the mouth! Out comes the paddle as I race to get to the sand before getting to the bridge. Then I see JB high tailing it to the boat with key in hand! Soon enough & we’re off.

Get to the reef and get two yakkas on the first drop.. yeehaa… well that was the only two yakkas we got all morning. Wasn’t doing any good at anchor, when we spied a big bust up. So we pulled the pick and went on the chase. First cast come up solid, but dropped it DOH. 2nd cast up solid, but got bitten of… Mutha F#%ker Dunno what my capt was doing.. Went for a bit of a tow for zilch. JB gets a bit peckish & opens the eky & hear Ohhhh FU#K! I look up to see two friggin bright yellow banana’s in the bastards hands!!! No wonder our morning was bad! LOL, so he eats them… to get rid of the evil mojo.

But it don't end there!

Just by JB eating the banana's & then talking on the radio caused my mates bait pump to blow up!

Another mate who was listening to the conversation lost his anchor & rope as well.

Damn things are bad luck!
    Heath
    Gold Coast
    WWW.GCFISHING.COM

Last Friday, before we leave the shed, the deckie climbs back in the boat, rumages around in his bag in the dark, and brings out TWO bananas to put in the esky.

A few choice words later, he's sulking and reckons I'm full of sh$t.
    Shoulda choked the life outa him and went back to bed, but it was too early to wake his wife to come get his body.

So, out to the Pearl by daybreak. Squat.
    Further up the channel - 6 foot shovelly and a 3 foot stingray.
    Over to the Moreton ledge. Squat.
    Curtain arti. Squat.
    Curtain dropoff. Squat.
    Capt Neilsons - one 40cm squire, then Squat..
    Over to the banks - Squat.

Deckie pulls the anchor coz it's dragging, up comes the chain.
    D shackle had came undone... No anchor.

12 hours after setting off and catching nothing but vermin and babies, asked the deckie if he'd really got rid of the bananas.

"Yeah" he tells me. "Ate 'em in the boat for brekky while you was sayin goodbye to ya missus"

I should have tossed him and his belly full of bananas over the side at dawn.
    He might've cramped up and sunk.

Next time I'll find out.