Thread: Cooper/Mooloolaba Anchor

Cooper/Mooloolaba Anchor

Hey Crew.
    Went to Mooloolaba Anchor manufacturer the other day to get the small size Mooloolaba Anchor for my 4mtr tinny and found they are not there anymore.
    Does anyone know a stockist.
    Also how do the Cooper Anchor go on Reel/Gravel bottoms. I need a new anchor for reef work up Cape York only shallow 30 feet but need a quick hold as bommie's are only small.
    Thanks Stephen

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

Re: Cooper/Mooloolaba Anchor

Animal give Marine Warehouse a call and find out who stocks their products in your area.They have mooloolaba picks in all sizes.3277 7701. Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

I've had a couple of the cooper anchors and they really are good in the sand. However, I've lost one on a reef in the harbour even after mounting the chain in the head of the anchor. Personally if you are looking to keep your anchor and have minimal fuss retrieving in the reefs then go for a pick.

Using a Cooper on my 6m try-gull & find it very good in all conditions
    I would not buy any other after using this one

I'm with datcol - had my 2.5kg cooper on my 4.4 seajay for 4 weeks now. I was concerned at first but on adding 2m of 10mm chain to the end of my 1.5m tiny 'came with the boat' chain it holds on all bottoms. I keep it rigged for reef conditions at all times and use it regularly in the mud/sand/rubble in this configuration (mainly because i am lazy . No problems at all.

Oh - the reason I use the heavier chain on the end of the light chain is I was given the tip to do so. Using heavy chain right up to the anchor [keeping in mind this is what I was told - NOT my own hypothesis] may cause it to topple the anchor on its side - stopping it from self righting and digging in properly.

Anyway - I have the light chain oin the anchor, then the heavy at the end of the light and have been delighted with its performance.

Ive had the Cooper anchor for about 8 weeks now, and I find it good on gravel/light reef. I always keep it rigged with the zip tie on the top of the anchor as described by the maker. Keep a good supply of zipties in the boat, cos I can go thru 3-4 in a sesh. I bought it mainly for sand in high current rivers, and Im sold on that part of it.

Ive had no problems, and would buy one again, however I can see how someone can still lose a cooper anchor on reef, it is possible.

Andrew
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Bias Boating do stock Mooloolabah but don't show them in the catalogue, if they don't have them in the shop see if they can order one in...
    Fillet and Release Squad

Thanks Crew for replies
    Stephen

Stephen, go to the chandlers at the end of Parkyn Pde, they stock them and are usually cheaper than some of the other stores, I have a m'ba anchor and am very happy with its performance after losing a reef pick on the Barwons.

Spelchek, might try your method with the chain as it sounds like it mught have some merit.