Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.2 Kevlacat towing weight

6.2 Kevlacat towing weight

Can anyone who actually owns or has owned a 6.2 tournament or pro sport KC please advise towing weight.
    Could you also indicate how much fuel is in the total and if the trailer is ally or gal.
    Have searched for this info with no joy thus far.
    Pretty keen on these models if I can tow em.
    Cheers HB
    Broaden your horizons - go boating

Re: 6.2 Kevlacat towing weight

Roughly 2500kgs by memory??

Dont quote me on that but thats my guess.

Deano.

My mate has a 6.2 Centre console KC. Al trailer across the weigh bridge full fuel no gear was 2.9 Tonnes. She's a heavy sucker.

My mate has one and I have towed it heaps of times, and I can tell you it is bloody heavy, regardless of what weight it was when it was made, it weighs heaps now, it has a steel trailer, lots of crap on board, a couple of near new 115HP 2 strokes, and a water tank that he does not use and is half full, why he doesn't empty it is beyond me, he is going to sell it soon if anyone is interested.

OK, just called my mate, he reckons (from memory mind you) that when his boat was new and it had just motors and tailer, with no gear and very limited fuel (this was with very light 90HP Yamaha 2 strokes) it was 2450KG on a weigh bridge, still hooked up to the car, so if you add a couple hundred litres of fuel, the bit of weight that does not get weighed because it is on the car, a pile of crap and gear/bait/eskies etc then I reckon it would be getting up close to 3 tonnes all up, anybody reckon he is right, or has a bad memory?

Sounds right to me.

Thanks for calling your mate NoelM. I was hoping to keep the tow weight under 2.5t. Which is perhaps a phurphy considering the extra windage associated with towing a cat.
    But for the sake of the exercise if the steel trailer were a ally one, i'm told they are 220kgs lighter, that would leave room for gear and then some.
    Noel what 2strokes does your mate have and is his KC a mark1 or 2.

Cheers HB

The moulds for the mulitcat are for sale on ebay i found this morn

Quote Originally Posted by Haines Boy View Post
    Thanks for calling your mate NoelM. I was hoping to keep the tow weight under 2.5t. Which is perhaps a phurphy considering the extra windage associated with towing a cat.
    But for the sake of the exercise if the steel trailer were a ally one, i'm told they are 220kgs lighter, that would leave room for gear and then some.
    Noel what 2strokes does your mate have and is his KC a mark1 or 2.

Cheers HB
    he now has carby 115HP Johnsons that be got new, but were about a year old, the 90 Yamahas were only just OK, not great power really, his boat is an early one.

Really Dean, bit of a coincidence. Not really in the new boat market but food for thought.
    Anyone else with a 6.2 KC on an ally trailer to compare weight?
    Please mention how much fuel and motors (type) when weighed.
    A 6.2 MK1 with 115 optis with full pods on ally trailer my dream ship.

HB

As I mentioned above, my friends is a 6.2KC centre console, so its probably a a fair bit lighter than a cab version.

He has 140suzuki 4 strokes on it, Alloy trailer, twin 250l fuel tanks+ 4 batteries and a little bit of gear (no esky's or other gear) and it weighed 2.9 Tonne.

If you added a cabin+ full esky's you'd well over 3 tonnes.. even with alloy trailer.

But he tows his with a 3l Hilux, and 30-40km to the ramp is fine. but you wouldn't wanna be towing up and down the coast

Thanks Flex. Looks like a vehicle upgrade if I want to get serious about this boat.
    Will be towing 400klms regularly.
    Would that 2.9t have included 500lts of fuel.
    And just as a side thought are those suzis sitting on full, as in hull line pods.
    Did your mate always have those motors or has he re- powered.
    Curious to know if it rides much different with the weight of them?
    Thanks fellas
    HB

Yeah 2.9ton was close to full fuel, but no gear.

Its got standard small pods(as in not Hull line)

It used to be powered with 90 Yamaha 2 strokes. which were ok but he wanted 4 strokes for more range.

It does sit low in the bum, water comes in the back if there is 3 of you down there. IMO the 140hp isn't needed, especially on a CC.

It has a top speed of 90+ km/h, which is hardly ever needed. but handy on some occasions as it closes the gap on alot of places you may not bother going

Ride wise I never went in it with the 90's on, so I cant comment.
    His economy is almost twice as good now aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by Haines Boy View Post

your mate have and is his KC a mark1 or 2.

Cheers HB
    What's the difference between a mark1 or 2?

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post

But he tows his with a 3l Hilux
    2.9t with a 3l hilux? Doesn't sound real clever does it?