Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QL Trim Tabs

QL Trim Tabs

I would like to hear from anyone running these, nice to hear it from someone first hand rather than from a saleman.

http://www.qlmarine.com/ql.asp

tried posting the pdf but its too big

cheers and thanks

Garry
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Re: QL Trim Tabs

hi mate i have Ql,s on my patriot 680 h/h they are wild and most people cant believe how affective they are and they are the 300 mm long set and boat weighs 2730kgs thanks hope this helps jim

capt...

do they keep the bow down in broken water...
    i know the tabs [plate] do a great job keeping the bow down when travelling in sloppy conditions makeing the ride MORE enjoyable....

these would suit me better than the others,,,, fitting is a problem with the hydro arms....
    "whats the time"

Hi Gary,
    Col is putting the QLs on a lot of new Fishers. I went for a test ride in a boat fitted with them & they worked quite well. My new boat will not be ready until Dec so I will make the choice between the QLs & the Bennett tabs closer to the finish date.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

I have searched a few times in the past for a diagram of these but have had no luck- almost secretive . I assume they are not plates that pivot but a plate that raises and lowers at 90deg to the horison???? If anyone knows?

cheers fnq

Same here FNQ. I fitted bennetts because I couldn't find user info about QL. They are electrically operated vertical plates.

Cool Getout, thanks for that I have almost finished making a crude manual set for my boat, it was the only design that I could dream up for a setback pod where the trailing edge raises out of the water at speed but needed force when traveling slower and submerged to control nose up.

Those QLs will be more efficient than tabs then, although I would expect a single set of tabs will give far more max force if needed than these QLs, width for width.

cheers fnq

Gday Guys, I installed a set on my 6.4m Freedom Seasport GRP boat because if it came off the top of a swell the bow slapped down quite hard. It has made the ride significantly better.
    They were reasonably simple to fit but you do need access directly behind them so I had to cut access holes in the floor and installed spinout hatches on them.
    The system is brilliantly simple to operate. The two tabs are electonically connected so they operate in unison. The control panel on the helm has 4 buttons. Bow up/down and boat left/right. little lights indicate the position each tab is in. I found to be effective I only use them 2 or at most 3 notches down. I think fully extended is on light 9 but have never needed this position so they are quite effective for very little downward travel.
    The main reason I got them was the fold down boarding ladder would have hit bennets tabs and so would not be able to be used. Now that they are on I'm very happy with em.

Cheers

Thanks guys,

just the sort of info I was hoping for, very hard to take a salesmans view seriously these days. Ordered a set this arvy

cheers

Garry
    Garry

Garry,
    What price were they
    David

David,

$9 hungy

Garry
    Garry

Thanks....... I think Garry
    David

Did you get quote on the equivalent Bennetts or Lencos? What were they going to be? Sounds all good in QL land. Yet to use any myself but seen them on a couple of boats up close in the flesh.

Hi Smithy,

They are going to be recessed into a pod which is being built for a Haines 213c(full waterline length pod) Had the chance to get them recessed so we did. Will post some pics when we get the boat back. They will take away some of the chance of fouling a fishing line around a tab IMO.

cheers

Garry
    Garry

hi garry i believe Qls are more affective than traditional plate style as my second boat is a h/h 233 formula with bennetts and theres no comparison Qls are more responsive and no spray and much quicker and easier to use and install and they cant cut off your line which is the main advantage its hard to beleive they work looking at them and mine cost $700 make sure you shop around also ive seen the same ones for $850 good luck hope you like them thanks, jim