Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

A good mate of mine works for Yamaha and is currently testing/trialing the new lightweight F70A Yamaha.

Ive been offered a pair of these gems to be trialed on my boat to compare fuel usage, speed comparisons etc to the current F60's on my boat.

This will take place in about a month or so.

Anybody thinking along the lines of repowering their 5.2 feel free for all figures/results from me.

I will be doing an approx 300 klm trip at 1770 with these motors to get a good feel of them.

Hope their not too good or ill be knocking on the bank managers door

Regards Dean.

Re: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Dean, once there on they will be stuck there..

Oy tell you know who that after you have tested them.. 3 month deal (should be) there 2nd hand and you want pricing acordingly
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Well the only way you can test them out properly is to have the usual decky in the seat for that trip to 1770!!!!

Why do i have the feeling you are going to be knocking on the bank managers door in about a month + 24hours?????

Very interested to see how they go. I'm just one of many about to repower and make a choice come springtime.
    How they go on your rig may determine many sales for them, so i assume they'll realise that and look after you if u want to keep them

Don't those engines take a little while to loosen up, 60hours or so?? you might find not much difference initially unless yours are already fairly shagged or something else is wrong like poor proping

Don't forget Dean possession is nine tenths of the law.

Rekon they'll make much of difference?
    Does anyone know the actual KW produced by either engine? I cant find the exact details anywhere.

Outboards can be rated with a 10%+/- margin. So technically the 60hp could have more HP than the 70..lol (eg 66hp v 64HP)

Im sure its not the case, but food for thought, be very interesting to know the real world difference. As both motors are same CCs

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Rekon they'll make much of difference?
    Does anyone know the actual KW produced by either engine? I cant find the exact details anywhere.

Outboards can be rated with a 10%+/- margin. So technically the 60hp could have more HP than the 70..lol (eg 66hp v 64HP)

Im sure its not the case, but food for thought, be very interesting to know the real world difference. As both motors are same CCs
    I also am interested for obvious reasons, and hope to go for a run soon( Dean) i have given it a bit of thought an it may just be they have enough to get the boat into a real sweet spot with gives you a fair bit more top end, but cats dont really seem to have sweet spots like mono's do and tend to react directally to HP. So it will be interesting!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Ha ha some funny comments there

The motors going on are preproduction so there not for sale.

But im sure i would get looked after if I was to order up.

Im happy with my 60's so im looking at it as a free excercise to see what these 70's are made of and know what im in for if i choose them down the track.

My 60's have done 140hrs so they are freeing up now no their not shagged FNQ Cairns.

6300rpm cant wait

I went into the local yammy dealer yesterday to check one out......I'm looking at trading in my 07'60hp 4strk yammy on the new 70hp in tiller steer......I got quoted $10,600 for the engine......$1,100 for the tiller and a few hundred for the prop...... ......so around $12,000 for a new one........Well a new 60hp with tiller and prop is still avaliable for $8,600 after the $500 cash back offer.........i don't think the extra 10hp is worth an extra $3,400......

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan5 View Post
    I don't think the extra 10hp is worth an extra $3,400......

Dan
    That's 3,400 x 2 Dan

but i'm sure dan will be getting them cheap
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Get em to tank run them for 10 hours to loosen them up - trial motors and preproduction are often pre run anyway as they don't like to see failures.

That way you can run them hard early and not worry about the first short service.

I'am getting one here in Bundaberg for 11,600 , fitted , stainless steel prop , gauges and control box for my side console stacer 4.69.

Good stuff Dean!! This will be interesting thread to keep a eye on, for it will be the new benchmark for alot of KC/zuki repower/ refits in your class.
    I know it has been anticipated for a while, and you make a good guineapig.....er....candidate !! Only downside is you will have to work 1000 hrs a week , instead of 800 to pay for them.... Upside is...while your working, there will be more fish for me at 1770