Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Re: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    These props are certainly impressive mate. They are a completely different shape to the solas... these are a smaller almost pointed blade. Ill grab a pic and put it up. Im waiting on a 16p in the merc vengance to turn up. In theory it should drop to around 5800 wot but I have a feeling hole shot will suffer. The 15 SS rip in out the hole no worries. Its not costing me anything to trial them so I may aswell keep playing with them.

Dan Ill grab you a pic of the controls, mine are the same duel binnacle mounted through the side as the yammy ones.

Hey mate what size are the vengeance props exactly ? x 15p those figures sound pretty good i have high thrust yams on mine and wouldn't mind trying a set as well. you don't live on the gold coast by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by dan12345 View Post
    Hey mate what size are the vengeance props exactly ? x 15p those figures sound pretty good i have high thrust yams on mine and wouldn't mind trying a set as well. you don't live on the gold coast by any chance?
    20160624_105946.jpg
    They're 13 1/4 x 15p mate. The merc props have a removable hub centre so I'm pretty sure you can get a hub to run them on the yammy motors. I think alot of the difference comes from the blade shape. The 16p's should be here next week so Ill post the results once I get a chance to give them a run. The merc dealer is confident the 16ps will be the go but I have my doubts. Either way I won't be going back to the solas alloys

Not on gold sorry im up in CQ

excellent thanks for that mate. maybe i will hold out for a bit till i see your results for the 16s . i think it may struggle with the 16 tho be alright once up and running but may wash off to much speed when you run up the back of a swell if you know what i mean.
    20160624_105946.jpg
    They're 13 1/4 x 15p mate. The merc props have a removable hub centre so I'm pretty sure you can get a hub to run them on the yammy motors. I think alot of the difference comes from the blade shape. The 16p's should be here next week so Ill post the results once I get a chance to give them a run. The merc dealer is confident the 16ps will be the go but I have my doubts. Either way I won't be going back to the solas alloys

Danf I tried to reply to your PM mate but it says your inbox is full

In regards to the previous comments about the Alko brand suspension. I can 100 percent say I will never own it again. I have owned a 5.2 kc with it and also own half the sharkcat with Flex which had Alko IRS . The positives with the Alko IRS is lower centre of gravity which suits cats well because of having no V in the hull that's why a lot of cats have the IRS axle setup. and can be bolted straight to chassis. But that's where the positives end. The negatives are they don't tow near as well as load sharing springs, cant be inspected properly, rubbers get flogged ( especially when going over corrugations) If rubers get flogged out whole hub can slide out of housing as its only pressed in. They cost a bomb and need to be custom made by alko which is about a 6-8 week process.
    tandem load sharing leaf springs in my experience tow a lot better, share load over both axles better, sway less, easy to visually inspect and clean, cost far less, can easily replace individual parts, and parts are easily available.
    if I towed around Brisbane 10km each time I woldnt worry having Alko but doing regular trips Mackay to Cooktown which I do, Roller rocker tandem springs and axles all the way.
    Alko regularly have problems with the IRS stuff , My local dealer warned me away from it as they see to many failures.
    You guys may have different opinions but that's mine.

any updates for the 16 p props mate?
    20160624_105946.jpg

Hey Dan, only just tested the 16s on Sat... unfortunately they were too big and I was only able to pull 5500-5600 wot.

I did another trip the week before last with the 15s on though. 3 days worth of gear inc swags tents, 3 blokes, extra 60litres fuel in jerry cans so had quite a bit more weight than I'd usually run with. The 15s were great, in 20kt chop on the trip up I was getting 45kph from 4700rpm, 48kph from 5000/5100. We did 350km all up so the trip home was lighter weight which heading into 10-15kt chop gave 45kph for 4600rpm, 50kph for 5000. These vengance 15ps are awesome and are giving the best results Ive heard of with the 60 bigfoot mercs.

Still getting 6000rpm wot. The cruise speeds are alot better for the revs, really happy with them!

I want to get hold of a pair to see if they do as well on yammies
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Im thinking the exact same thing mate have been searching for secondhand ones all week no luck yet may have to bite the bullet and buy new ones
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I want to get hold of a pair to see if they do as well on yammies

Make sure you go for that part number in the pic too as they also make a bigger diameter 15p in the same style prop. As far as I know the yammies are the same gear ratio and pretty similar so you'd think results would be much the same

Where can we see the torque curves of both engines side by side?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hey Dan, only just tested the 16s on Sat... unfortunately they were too big and I was only able to pull 5500-5600 wot.

I did another trip the week before last with the 15s on though. 3 days worth of gear inc swags tents, 3 blokes, extra 60litres fuel in jerry cans so had quite a bit more weight than I'd usually run with. The 15s were great, in 20kt chop on the trip up I was getting 45kph from 4700rpm, 48kph from 5000/5100. We did 350km all up so the trip home was lighter weight which heading into 10-15kt chop gave 45kph for 4600rpm, 50kph for 5000. These vengance 15ps are awesome and are giving the best results Ive heard of with the 60 bigfoot mercs.

Still getting 6000rpm wot. The cruise speeds are alot better for the revs, really happy with them!
    Impressive, thanks for that. Definitely need to go for a run.

I need new props as well ... keen to know the price of these Merc's spinners with a Yamaha centre.

cheers
    Sunshine Coast - Kevlacat 5.2

was quoted about 530 each but didn't ask about the hub kit
    Quote Originally Posted by smclaren View Post
    I need new props as well ... keen to know the price of these Merc's spinners with a Yamaha centre.

cheers

If that is new & the same part number prop buy them... that's crazy cheap!