Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Re: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    How old was the trailer when that happened?
    I cant be 100% sure as I had just bought it when it happened, maybe 10-12y? so fair age I'll admit.
    What I didn't like is being unable to see inside and whats really going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Danf View Post
    The other issue that I have to consider is the fact that I can re power with Mercury 60 Hp 4 strokes which are available from the only local outboard place in town. Interesting to get figures on this boat / motor setup.
    The Mercury Command Thrust 60hp look impressive!

I am running the merc bigfoot high thrusts on mine. There is another thread on here with the figures I got playing with solas alloy props. Over the last couple of weeks I have been trying the merc vengance stainless props. On sat I ran the 15p which with 3 POB full fuel, gear and ice in 15kt chop gave me 4800rpm 45kph / 5000rpm 47kph / wot 6000 57kph. These are by far the best props I have found so far. 45kph give me 1.5ish km/litre combined however when it sits higher on 5k rpm the economy is actually better at 1.8km/l.

They are a good boat with the 60s however if I were repowering (these were on when i bought it) I would be going the 90s. The bigger pods are just under 3k from kevlacat to retrofit onto the 5.2 hull. If you arent really happy with the figures above I think you are better to sell the 5.2 hull and put the money toward a 2400. 90s,pods,bigger fuel tanks you are getting pretty close to 2400 money anyway so my thinking is you may aswell have the bigger boat.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    I am running the merc bigfoot high thrusts on mine. There is another thread on here with the figures I got playing with solas alloy props. Over the last couple of weeks I have been trying the merc vengance stainless props. On sat I ran the 15p which with 3 POB full fuel, gear and ice in 15kt chop gave me 4800rpm 45kph / 5000rpm 47kph / wot 6000 57kph. These are by far the best props I have found so far. 45kph give me 1.5ish km/litre combined however when it sits higher on 5k rpm the economy is actually better at 1.8km/l.

They are a good boat with the 60s however if I were repowering (these were on when i bought it) I would be going the 90s. The bigger pods are just under 3k from kevlacat to retrofit onto the 5.2 hull. If you arent really happy with the figures above I think you are better to sell the 5.2 hull and put the money toward a 2400. 90s,pods,bigger fuel tanks you are getting pretty close to 2400 money anyway so my thinking is you may aswell have the bigger boat.

Cheers
    Thanks for the heads up on these motors.
    Just a question on the new gauges fitted to the dash. Have you got a pic of the setup?

20160528_133645-1.jpg this is an old pic I had on my phone...can grab a better one if needed. My gauges are the needle/analog type so were same size as previous yammy ones

Thanks for that. Have you got a pic of the dual motor controls fitted on the side? Interested to see if there is much difference from the Yami ones.

Cheers
    They are by far the best figures I have heard of on a 5.2KC.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I cant be 100% sure as I had just bought it when it happened, maybe 10-12y? so fair age I'll admit.
    What I didn't like is being unable to see inside and whats really going on.
    Thanks for that. That alone is enough for me to go get a new set this week.

Thanks for that. That alone is enough for me to go get a new set this week.
    yeah they were fairly old and 10y is a good run. they looked 5y old from outside.

I will say the back set of axles were fine and towed our boat another few hundred km next town with no dramas. it was taking double the weight and did it fine. maybe front set where dodgy from start?

do you think theres more or less trailer sway with independent or roller rocker?

They are by far the best figures I have heard of on a 5.2KC.
    These props are certainly impressive mate. They are a completely different shape to the solas... these are a smaller almost pointed blade. Ill grab a pic and put it up. Im waiting on a 16p in the merc vengance to turn up. In theory it should drop to around 5800 wot but I have a feeling hole shot will suffer. The 15 SS rip in out the hole no worries. Its not costing me anything to trial them so I may aswell keep playing with them.

Dan Ill grab you a pic of the controls, mine are the same duel binnacle mounted through the side as the yammy ones.

20160624_105901.jpg
    Dan this is the same type of control box the yammys had. I think merc may have gone to a different shape on the newest model engines

20160624_105840.jpg
    15vengance next to 14p solas amita 3

20160624_105957.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    yeah they were fairly old and 10y is a good run. they looked 5y old from outside.

I will say the back set of axles were fine and towed our boat another few hundred km next town with no dramas. it was taking double the weight and did it fine. maybe front set where dodgy from start?

do you think theres more or less trailer sway with independent or roller rocker?
    Hard to say as I've never had each on the same set up but I don't have any sway with the Al-Ko's.

Thumbs up Re: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

20160624_105901.jpg
    Dan this is the same type of control box the yammys had. I think merc may have gone to a different shape on the newest model engines

20160624_105840.jpg
    15vengance next to 14p solas amita 3

20160624_105957.jpg
    Thanks. At some stage I wouldn't mind getting a pic of you trailer axle setup.
    Thanks again mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Danf View Post
    Thanks. At some stage I wouldn't mind getting a pic of you trailer axle setup.
    Thanks again mate.
    20160624_174528.jpg
    My trailer is alloy. I had the front left tyre/hub snap off on me too on the old alko rubber tube ones. Using the same wheels just with single leaf springs now. Tows better on the highway feels like these springs are slightly stiffer than the old axles. Luckily mine snapped when I was at the ramp going about 5kph...it still smashed the fibreflass mudguard but glad it didnt happen on the highway

Thanks. This might be the way to go for me.