Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Re: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

I think that was KittyCat?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I can't remember, but I think they has new ones made like the latest model? Can't say that I remember the end result actually being posted!

Yep wayne, AKA Kitty Cat put 90 zukes on his 5.2. He posted some impressive figures on here about them a long time ago. If I had a lazy $26k they would of been my pick and fabricated pods to suit. IMO the 70 yammy is a pimped up 60 and you'd be wringing its neck like a set of 60's. Its a lot of money to outlay only to be disappointed with performance.

I think the 70 Yamaha is a motor on its own, not just a modified 60, but, I could be wrong.

I had 5.2 with f60s for a while. sold it cause it was to slow and engine longevity is an issue for distance I travel.
    While they go ok its a shame to stick 60/70 4s motors on such a good hull.
    They really need a set of 90's if your travelling any further than 50-60km offshore.

I found the nose would ever so slightly "drop" into the face of the next wave in certain conditions at its cruise speed of 4900rpm.
    I kept finding the boat handled most conditions better doing 5200-5500rpm. which is just to much to be holding motors at that rpm for 2-3 hours.
    Problem is sticking 90hp 4 strokes on them adds other issues like larger pods and floatation.

twin 90 suzies on the 1900 is a sweet rig

Flex, I have Dean's old boat and since I had the props shaved down I find that no real performance has been lost, in fact it seems to go better. I haven't noticed the nose dipping in certain conditions, though sometimes when the sea wont decide what it's doing it can be tough getting a settled ride. The 47-4900 range is certainly the sweet spot but rarely have I had it out and thought I needed more power to make it ride better. Maybe I need to see if I can get a ride on KittyKat to get some perspective. I really love the boat, it ticks so many boxes for a trailer boat that it will be a sad day to see it go soon.

Thanks for the response guys. I have owned this boat since 1995 previously owning a 565 Haines since 1981. The KC has been sitting idle in the shed for a long time. It is now come to a point that it needs new motors, if I intend to use it again. Re powering with the RIGHT motors is under consideration. The issue is, do I stick with 70 Yamaha 4 strokes at 120 kg, or go with a set of 90,s which all motor brands are heavier due to their larger engine displacement. The weight difference being up to about 40 kg each. These larger motors will need extra buoyancy in the pods, a new set will have to be made. I have spoken to a long acquaintance of mine who has been making alloy cats for a long time and he has reckons to make a set of pods which are an extension of the hull, as opposed to the existing ones which are raised. I suppose we have to work out the extra buoyancy that will be gained with these new pods and how much further back the motors will sit. The boat will still probably not get on the plane with a single 90 hp engine, it doesn't with a 70.

Speed was never a real problem with the 70 2 strokes although at times during those calm periods the boat seemed to take forever to get there. One thing that I can say is that most trips to the reef, the speed going out was the same as coming home. I would pass a lot of similar sized mono hulls back to port on those not so calm days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Flex, I have Dean's old boat and since I had the props shaved down I find that no real performance has been lost, in fact it seems to go better. I haven't noticed the nose dipping in certain conditions, though sometimes when the sea wont decide what it's doing it can be tough getting a settled ride. The 47-4900 range is certainly the sweet spot but rarely have I had it out and thought I needed more power to make it ride better. Maybe I need to see if I can get a ride on KittyKat to get some perspective. I really love the boat, it ticks so many boxes for a trailer boat that it will be a sad day to see it go soon.

Don't get me wrong, I loved my little KC. Almost perfect alround boat if you consider towing,running cost, ride and ease of use for its size. its a super fun boat to drive and for its size its a little weapon!
    The ride with 60's is far from bad, I just found it wasn't optimal.
    I kept finding on a 10-15kn day I'd always want to push it over 5000rpm. especially on a 10knot day it rode a bit better going a smidge over 50km/h compared to low 40's.

Out of curiosity what speeds do you get with the shaved props?

Also Dan is your KC rated to 90hp? a lot of the earlier ones are only 70

Flex, I was a little groggy with my figures as I havent had it out in a few months as I am over seas at the moment. I went back to an old post.

I came home from the hards 4x80+kg blokes on board, -60l fuel full ice and heaps of gear. Maintained a fluctuating rev range between 55-5700 for an average speed of 53km/h was peaking up to 55 and down to 48 going up a swell.. Cruise it seemed to like the 4800-5000rpm sitting on 45-48km/h.

Most I have seen is 58k on the guage with 2 POB on a fairly glassy day.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I loved my little KC. Almost perfect alround boat if you consider towing,running cost, ride and ease of use for its size. its a super fun boat to drive and for its size its a little weapon!
    The ride with 60's is far from bad, I just found it wasn't optimal.
    I kept finding on a 10-15kn day I'd always want to push it over 5000rpm. especially on a 10knot day it rode a bit better going a smidge over 50km/h compared to low 40's.

Out of curiosity what speeds do you get with the shaved props?

Also Dan is your KC rated to 90hp? a lot of the earlier ones are only 70
    I am pretty sure it is rated at 70. Maybe I should just go with 70 yami 4 strokes. At most there will only be 2 on board. I just don't want it performing speed wise and less than the 70 2 strokes.

Danf, your boat should be rated to 90hp but getting 90's on the transom in 4 stroke is a lot of work and isn't exactly a cheap exercise. There is a member on here that used to build the pods for KC. I would just find one that has the later style pods and then measure it up and have it made. I am sure the current KC owners would replate it for you??

If not then I would just go the 70 Yams or even the 60's if the price difference doesn't make it worth while. Its only on the rarest of days that I really wish I had more HP than the 60's on mine. Sure it doesn't get out of the hole too fast but unless you have some serious bar crossings to do the 60's go just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Danf, your boat should be rated to 90hp but getting 90's on the transom in 4 stroke is a lot of work and isn't exactly a cheap exercise. There is a member on here that used to build the pods for KC. I would just find one that has the later style pods and then measure it up and have it made. I am sure the current KC owners would replate it for you??

If not then I would just go the 70 Yams or even the 60's if the price difference doesn't make it worth while. Its only on the rarest of days that I really wish I had more HP than the 60's on mine. Sure it doesn't get out of the hole too fast but unless you have some serious bar crossings to do the 60's go just fine.
    Are your motors Xlong 25 inch? Also, I should ask about trailer axles. Mine are the factory Alko rubber torsion style, which I would like to replace. I have to decide whether to go with the same or convert to leaf spring.

Dan how far offshore do you travel on most trips?
    getting 60/70's might suit just fine for your needs. also cheaper than 90's.

as to torsion, I had a very bad experience of both front wheels falling off(literally) my dual axle trailer between brissy and mackay. looked fine from outside but inner stub part had completely corroded away.
    As each axle is made to order getting it fixed was a nighmare.

If your going to do a conversion to leaf, just remember it can be trickier than anticipated. With my trailer the frame was very skinny (designed for torsion) and sticking leaf under made the hubs along way from the spring. This can cause axles to easily bend.
    I think load sharing leaf springs are the cheapest and best option unless your willing to spend 4k on new alko axles every 7 years

Quote Originally Posted by Danf View Post
    I have to decide whether to go with the same or convert to leaf spring.
    Go with leaf springs. emergency replacement parts in every wreckers yard if the shit hits the fan 1000km from home.