Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Re: Trialing new F70 Yamahas on my 5.2m Kevlacat

Quote Originally Posted by insideout View Post
    Good stuff Dean!! This will be interesting thread to keep a eye on, for it will be the new benchmark for alot of KC/zuki repower/ refits in your class.
    I know it has been anticipated for a while, and you make a good guineapig.....er....candidate !! Only downside is you will have to work 1000 hrs a week , instead of 800 to pay for them.... Upside is...while your working, there will be more fish for me at 1770
    Ha ha yeah whatever

The motors are currently on a Vindicator platey so theyve been run in so to speak.

I have the LAN gauges so ill get a very acccurate reading of fuel usage etc.

Cheers..

I guess in a sort of way, it would be nice if we could somehow measure the difference, lets face it, the motors are new, so we would expect them to start and run like new, right? but if you could estimate the difference in weight and what it does to the boat (like does it float mearurably lower/higher), is the boat so much beter to get onto the plane, or worse (or the same), fuel use and so on should be fairly easy to gauge, and so will speed, so it is the "funny" things that may be of interest (if you get what I mean)

the bloke fitting them up has every concivable gadget and gizmo for measuring all the above noel, elctirc gauges that sit on the floor wired to a laptop to test acceleration, independent fuel flow meters. its basically his job to test boat motor combo's. every base will be covered!
    thats if he can work uniterupted, ie deano telling him how good 5.2kc's are evry 3 mins!!!!!! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by lippa View Post
    the bloke fitting them up has every concivable gadget and gizmo for measuring all the above noel, elctirc gauges that sit on the floor wired to a laptop to test acceleration, independent fuel flow meters. its basically his job to test boat motor combo's. every base will be covered!
    thats if he can work uniterupted, ie deano telling him how good 5.2kc's are evry 3 mins!!!!!! :-)

Does he have a dyno ??? That would be interesting!!! No bull, no prop, prop slip or hull excuses then just pure numbers and another set of motors to compare it with. Can work out true drag of boat, legs for all future combinations.

Be interesting to see any results they allow to be published but most important is real life repeatable mid range fuel consumption on nomal fuel, load carrying ability and pick up in that range with also a low speed plane ability for days you get caught out.. Top end speed is nice for magazines headlines or for those with deep petrol pockets but a lot of us don't spend a lot of the motors life there.

I think they are going to suit that hull.

Are they avaliable as a counter rotation pair?

He wont publish all details that we would like and there not available as counterotating pairs RH rotaion only..

Dont think any manufacturers supply counter rotaters under 100hp any more
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I have been thinking about this and i decided.... why bother! Anyway I don't think I would.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    He wont publish all details that we would like and there not available as counterotating pairs RH rotaion only..

Dont think any manufacturers supply counter rotaters under 100hp any more
    Deano, we will have to put the big bastard ( me)and all the fish on the left side to counter all that torque..

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    I have been thinking about this and i decided.... why bother! Anyway I don't think I would.
    I am passionate about cats and especially these 5.2 kc's and motors are the heartbeat of your boat really so im keen to see what these motors can do for the boat.

Cats are so different to monos as in what power is needed to do what in certain situations.

5.2 kc's are one of the best trailer boats ever made and these lightweight 70 4 strokes im sure will make them even better

Its a wet dream for you Deano

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    Its a wet dream for you Deano
    Ha yeah something like that

U sold ur boat yet mate?
    Deano..

Deano and you other boys looking to re-power.

I'm in the market for a mid range four stroke for a boat in Tasmania. If you need to get rid of a 60hp let me know.

Brett

I think the guys on hook line and sinker tv show put some new yamaha 70s on a 5.0 metre cat

Just saw a 5.2 Pro Sport with new 70 Yam 4 bangers at Gav from Victory Parts.

any updates dean ??

Hook Line & sinker website has some video's of the boats they are going to fit the Yamaha F70A too. Looks like an interesting segment, just wish they would hurry up and show the results.