Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Warming up for Mondy...

Warming up for Mondy...

With the Committee Meeting coming up in a fortnight's time I was just curious as to how the travelling angler first behaves once they get onto the water at Mondy...

Our routine for the first session on the water is to find an open point or bank and bang in a dozen or so practice casts in order to regather the 'feel' for our heavier barra gear (after chasing bream & snaps on the lighter stuff) before we head into the timbered areas. A bit of casting practice generally avoids those embarrassing snags in the tops of trees or overhanging branches while you are still a little green and over enthusiastic...

We usually have the first session on the first day well planned in terms of which areas we want to fish and the techniques we want to try - based mostly on where we were successful the last time. There are also our favourite spots that will always get some attention.

While we do this we still maintain our powers of observation to look for new opportunities. The remainder of the trip then depends on what we see on the water, whether or not we are catching fish and the stories/information we hear from other anglers...

This time we also plan to do a fair bit of exploring...

What do you do?

On another note, has anyone ever travelled a long distance to Monduran then launched the boat and hooked-up to a barra with their very first cast?

We are generally stoked if we get a hit in the first session, let alone a fish!

Regs

Pete

Re: Warming up for Mondy...

I will be going straight to PK point, setting up the BBQ and the coffee machine, stuff the fishing I'm gunna make a fortune

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    I will be going straight to PK point, setting up the BBQ and the coffee machine, stuff the fishing I'm gunna make a fortune
    Perhaps I should have specified serious responses only.....

My bad, I will be in the naughty corner.....................

We tend to have a look at the conditions when we get on the water, make a call on a particular fav spot that likes those conditions and make our way slowly to it taking in the changes in surrounds,water conditions and temps.

In this case arriving around lunch time I think we will spend that first arvo on the familiar grounds casting and talking, making plans for the days to come.

Last trip was an absolute bonus as it gave me the opportunity to see the dam in it's current format and identify new spots that offer the same principles that we have used b4.

That better....................????????

Pete

I like that 1st afternoon ...... I usually arrive around lunch & set up camp - then quickly get onto the water.

I usually work with the prevailing weather conditions - what has the wind been doing that morning ..... but more so over the previous days. So with that established - I head towards areas that would have received the benefits of these conditions. From there I have a bit of a look around & if something catches my eye - bait , currents , fush , birds ..... I'll have a cast! - then check the sounder out as I move away in case it may be a something for later situation.
    I like to cover a bit of ground as it sets up what I will do the following morning As the day moves towards the end - I will head to an area that most inspired me during the course of my afternoon & is at that time receiving favorable conditions ........ I will tie off or anchor & cast away.

As for 1st cast situations ....... I'll claim that for my last trip (nearly) - the first cast was a ranging cast , get the cobwebs out type of thing ...... the second cast was for real & on the money with an instant hook up - then I stuffed it up when fiddling with the go-pro camera

Other than that ...... there have been fish hooked up with the first dozen or so casts

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    That better....................????????
    Much more betterer.....

Gday Peter, actualy mate on our last trip up there in December i hooked one on my first cast only to lose it at the boat.. (not happy),& the worst part is it took me 5 more days to get my next hit,, which i did land,,(no donut anyway)...
    Cheers Baz

I actually don't like it when you get a hit first cast at the start of a session or when you change locations .......... ya just dont seem to be prepared for it

Chris

PS ..... that reminds me - you get hit & you haven't set your drag ...... done that at Mondy
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

pete i used to have a set patten each trip but with 4 donuts in a row i will have to go back to the drawing board and work out a new one

I personally like to drive around at warp speed and blow fly everyone, then go back to the ramp and get out of Naggs boat, the one i just borrowed with out him knowing, then get into my own and take a nice relaxing drive around the pond and see whats going on and then watch the harrassment Nagg will get when he gets on the water

First stop is PK point for a coffee and cake thats for sure.

Seriously though I just go fishing straight away and try to get into it as quick as possible.

Cheers

Lee

Quote Originally Posted by leelee View Post
    I personally like to drive around at warp speed and blow fly everyone, then go back to the ramp and get out of Naggs boat, the one i just borrowed with out him knowing, then get into my own and take a nice relaxing drive around the pond and see whats going on and then watch the harrassment Nagg will get when he gets on the water

First stop is PK point for a coffee and cake thats for sure.

Seriously though I just go fishing straight away and try to get into it as quick as possible.

Cheers

Lee

Lee , we did alright last winter during the couple of trips that we did together...... If that can be replicated - I'll be happy.

Anyhow .... you should be gaining a better feel for the dam now. .....as long as you leave those wasps alone

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Pete

Good thread mate.
    I am pretty laid back in my approach basically drive up the dam looking at the common varibles as the above mentioned, with that in mind I will have a basic layout of my paln as I get to my areas of intrest. I will be always watching the bait, water movement, wind and temp, to try and map out a area that I think will produce the goods.. No real big stratergy but just I spose in depth though whilst warming up the casting arm....

The guys that head up to mondy on a regular basis or know the dam will have ideas on where will produce from time on the water, from memory last year for this exsact trip we pulled into a little cove the remainin fishos who we had not seen pulled into that cove, in which we decided to have lunch, after a yarn we all pretty much answered the same responce on where to attack next... Nagg boated two fish after that.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Hey Pete

Good thread mate.
    I am pretty laid back in my approach basically drive up the dam looking at the common varibles as the above mentioned, with that in mind I will have a basic layout of my paln as I get to my areas of intrest. I will be always watching the bait, water movement, wind and temp, to try and map out a area that I think will produce the goods.. No real big stratergy but just I spose in depth though whilst warming up the casting arm....

The guys that head up to mondy on a regular basis or know the dam will have ideas on where will produce from time on the water, from memory last year for this exsact trip we pulled into a little cove the remainin fishos who we had not seen pulled into that cove, in which we decided to have lunch, after a yarn we all pretty much answered the same responce on where to attack next... Nagg boated two fish after that.....

So, no pressure Rakey - are you in? C'mon, you know you want to...