Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snapper Flies

Snapper Flies

Hi Guys,
    Crossing over to the Dark Side for a quick look. A few people I know have had success using flies on snapper & assorted reefies. Talking deeper water & bait with the fly having some lumo threads. I plan to use lumo sinkers as well.
    I have made some with advice from Jones Tackle. Comments & criticism welcome as this is all new to me.

These are Gama #8 & ganged Js for smaller baits such as pillies or squid.

These are snelled for use with fillets or slabs. The zip ties are to keep things neat & will be removed prior to fishing.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Re: Snapper Flies

They look good pete, vertico / pe tackle have done a lot of work putting this on the map and testing, theres no doubt the krystal flash can turn some quality fish on.

Yeah mate, they are looking good.
    Have you though of tying them onto jig heads?
    I had a mate show me how to do it last year and they work great.
    You can just fish them like a SP then, they work...

Pic is not the greatest, but you get the idea.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

thats a clever idea........

I certainly can't take any credit for the idea, but tying them is fun.
    My PB snapp was caught using one of these...
    Cheers and thanks.

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

hi there peterbo3 no your not crossing over to the dark side no fly rod no fly line, you call that a bait jig and thats all they will ever be.

Red,

how about that super custom prototype jig i tied up for yah

Sean

I didn't know if I was allowed to talk about it Sean.
    It is a ripper should have it in the water Sat....
    Cheers and thanks.

Fish Well, Fish Egrell

Still wanting to get to use flys .... those look pretty nice Pete ...

Did you get a chance to try those flys out yet Pete ? Any luck? ...

Very keen to see how you guys go with these. Let me know what shape of head on the hook works best, I should be able to make a mould similar, and pour lead to that shape. .... Or just tie onto an existing jighead, but I think you need a significant barb on the shank to be able to tie off, without material slipping. I have not made my 1st one yet, so its all just theory at this stage.

Scalem

Pete those look great mate

Brian

you dont need a barb on the shank to tie off, just a bobbin with thread, lay down some thread with a bobbin ( use pink thread as well) , then add your flash and material and wind on more thread as you go with your bits of material, then when finished wrap some more thread and finish with some glue, it will hold no problems. If your worried about the thread being damaged, then wind some mono over the thread and tie off

Also to add some variety, once your done, you can use a nice big permanent marker, ie black or red to add some stripes on the material as well. If you want lumo jig heads, buy your lumo paint, dip and bake in oven.

Been doing some of these flies for myself as like to tinker with things and caught a nice 58 snapper in the river with one much to a mates disbelief Will be taking a bunch up to agnes and trying out some snapper flies as well

mike
    Tangles KFC

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Very keen to see how you guys go with these. Let me know what shape of head on the hook works best, I should be able to make a mould similar, and pour lead to that shape. .... Or just tie onto an existing jighead, but I think you need a significant barb on the shank to be able to tie off, without material slipping. I have not made my 1st one yet, so its all just theory at this stage.

Scalem

Just buy them off Vertico, far easier and cheaper option and they are tried and tested before being released to the market. I scored my PB snap on one off the GC last week at 8.9kg

Hi all,
    I`ve made up a heap of both flies and "Bucktail-Jigs" ,suitable for most species of saltwater fish.(They are a real treat on lizards!)
    The bucktail-jigs are made with a standard sort of jig head, either traditional round, pony-tail,shad or minnow style, ...I have molds for all of these styles, and they can be made up on 1/0 through to about 6/0 hooks depending on head size and the species you are chasing
    The "Buck tail" is just that, deer hair from the tai of some brand of deer.
    I`ll post some pics tomorrow morning when I can get some natural light on the subject, showing the bare jig heads and some finished products, tied with both bucktail, synthetic furs and feather...
    The flies are a completely different kettle of fish (excuse the pun), they are made up, unweighted, from natural or synthetic fur and fibre, and need to be deployed with a fly rod and fly line.
    Both types are successful and fun to tie and use..
    Cheers, Popper52.

I made my 1st in eager anticipation (rushed job in one night) to give them a try this weekend ..... But called off the trip because of strong N/NW.

I can make any jighead shape, but used what I already had from stock in my tackle box.

My attention to detail or the need to make them "pretty" was not my priority at 11.30 one night, just keen to see if they work. Here is the result of my 1st tie. Will they work?

Scalem