Thread: Long Tom Lures

Long Tom Lures

What lure have you had the most success with chasing freshwater Long Toms. I saw a few cruising in pairs on the surface in a dam I was fishing for sooties with spinner baits and lipless cranks. I have read they hit poppers but was wondering what minnow style lures people have had success with. I understand their mouths are very hard making hit/hook up rates fairly average. Any hints much appreciated. I would be letting them go,

cheers

Re: Long Tom Lures

I've had most success with small streamer flies tied on a 1/0 hook.
    Failing that it needs to be a small profile popper or plastic.
    Long tom are best hooked right in the jaw hinge for any real success so small profiles they engulf work best.
    Jack.

Used to chase them as a kid. Never had much lusk with lures, used to get plenty of strikes but staying connected was difficult with their bony mouths. We had more success with live trumpeters on a small break away float. Agree with Tuna need to find that hinge. Not sure how small they go but I reckon little circles with a live trumpeter would be the go. They are worth the effort, great fun on light gear.

i caught a 65cm long tom the other week on a live 10cm poddy mullet. Unweighted free swimming on the surface good fight.

never caught one on a lure sorry?never really tried thou

bron

Existing lures in my box I thought may be worth a toss

Tilsan Bass
    Ecogear sx48
    Jackal Chubby(deep)

There are a lot of banded grunter in the dam. The Long Toms I saw appeared to be a metre easy, is there a hardbody you would choose that I havn,t mentioned??

cheers

I've caught them in the fresh up around 80cm on live herring and I've gotten a few on poppers when chasing whiting. I'd definitely say poppers would be your best bet at catching one on a lure. I caught mine on a two different 'no brand' lures, one clear with a bit of blue around the head and another with a red head and white body.

They're easy to sight cast to, and the few that I caught jumped clear out of the water when hooked.

Cheers,
    Kaidon
    Conservation NOT preservation!