Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you caught a 130 would you get it mounted?

If you caught a 130 would you get it mounted?

Guys just chucking this one up for your thoughts, seeing as I'm planing on catching a 130 sometime this year

I know Scotty got his big girl mounted a couple of years ago, but that one choked on an XRap and couldn't be revived, so he did it some justice in getting it mounted.

Many moons ago I caught a 21kg fish on 3kg in Tinaroo that I kept to weigh for a line class record. I ended up giving to some nomads in the caravan park, as I was hitting the road the next day and had no means of keeping it. They were over the moon, that probably only lasted until they tasted it....

Anyway, I've sort of been kicking myself for not making the effort to get it mounted, seeing as I had already killed it.

Now my dilema is, when I get my 130 ( ) should I keep it and get it mounted. I now know a guy who does awesome fibreglass mounts that would really do it justice. Those who saw the 'Barra Trophy' trophy would agree.

But then there is the dilema of killing a big barra, I'm not sure if I could bring myself to do it now. On the other hand, its a stocked fish and can't breed....
    Then there is the logistics of having a big ice box to ice it down and get it to Nerang, maybe cutting a trip short.......Plus it would cost in the vicinity of $1200, Many dilemas!

I believe a 130 barra is the holy grail of barra angling, fish of a lifetime capture. Is it worth preserving that in fibreglass to brag about, or just keeping the photographs and memories, knowing that she lives on....?

Matt

Re: If you caught a 130 would you get it mounted?

I would in a heartbeat and would not be made feel guilty for it by anyone.

as you say, these fish are stocked landlocked freshwater fish and cannot breed. Therefore the argument that you killed a 'big breeder' is nothing short of a furphy.

Coupled with the fact that the fish are stocked for the purpose of being caught and taken.

If you want to do it, do it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. The fish are put there for people to catch and take home, just ask the organisation that does the work.

I'd do it myself cept for the swamp donkey colour, give me a nice metre long chrome salty instead

Hey Matt

I remember seeing you capture that World Record fish on 3kg string back in your Dam Hot series. Awesome video mate and I still love looking at the vids you bunch of hooligans made Ah....the Mega Snag I was always curious as to how long she actually went or whether Jack just weighed her for you.

Now back to the question. It really depends on a lot of factors for me....the condition of the fish after capture, my mental commitment at the time to having it mounted (I would sure not like to eat it), suitable storage to keep her chilled, the availability of my chosen taxidermist/fibreglasser to do the work, money obviously comes into it as well.

I would not begrudge anyone if they went down this path, for the reasons Scott outlines above and other "unknowns". Each to their own and good luck to them.

To answer the question: Perhaps, if all the planets aligned to do so.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Hi Matt

You raise a topic that has been brought up several times among my fishing mates - usually around a bbq or fire.

Firstly (obviously) it's a personal choice and depends where it sits on your priorities.

From a personal perspective ..... After seeing many mounts over the years - I've seen very few examples of large fish that do it justice - the best seem to be smaller fish like small barra and trout in a lifelike situation - the flat ones that go on the wall - Nah .
    A lot of guys said that they wouldn't do it again ....... because they caught larger or more significant captures later ..... or they just regret it
    I think your world record made for a compelling case - but did you know at the time it would be ratified....... it was a significant capture regardless .

$1000-1500 is a lot of money for a dust collector

I'm more for a really good photo ...... its why I spent a considerable amount on an digital SLR & now the go -pro. A high resolution photo that can be blown up and framed ...... The only thing is having someone to take the photos and do a good job of it - Though I would review the photos ...... my PBs photos are crap because the photographer didn't really give a hoot and was a poor photographer ...... yet OBI_WAN did a great job on my number 2.

Finally ..... I did get that warm & fuzzy feeling letting those big fish go - who knows those big fish could also be someone else's fish of a life time

I hope you get the chance to make that decision

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I would just take the photo and see is she could be revived but it is personal choice to do this, no drama's about keeping a big fish for mounting if thats your thing ,what i would not like to see is a big fish caught and kept that could of been released unharmed but ends up in a bin gathering flies there is no sense to that

shane

Would I mount a 130cm Barra??.....fish that big would probably mount me
    'whos ya daddy'

2 years ago I would have said no full stop. nowdays, probably not still personally bucause I could think of better ways to spend $$$$, but I certainly wouldn't begrudge anyone that does....Rather see it mounted than filleted..then chucked out cause it tastes crap.

Chris makes a pretty good point, something I have never thought of. Probably the bigger ones would be a MASSIVE dust collector on the wall. A healthy little one with some snags etc around it would look sweet in any pool room....photo of a big fish, with a big effort holding it, with a big smile....blown up in a frame in the pool room would certainly do me.

Steve

PS: what Scotty did when his big girl that couldn't be revived was definately the right thing to do....chucking a big beauty like that in the bin....or letting it float off dead would be a sad injustice.
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

a great resolution photo on the wall will do me fine, 1200 to 1500 will get me a lot of trips back up there to do it again ,i got my 1070 pb salty a few years back and thought about it but it will be broken soon so a bit of a waste, all to his own though no probs with me if they mount them.i find some other thing better to mount than those

Gday Matt, looking forward to seeing you holding that 130 mate!

Each to their own, doesnt matter to me, but from a personal point of view, a pic on the mat, and a good pic of me holding it, and I'd be happy.

Chris, feel ya pain re the bad pic taker. My best at 120, and I asked a couple of blokes near by to take a pic, its a shocker.

As Brian said "each to their own", for me a good photo and a swim away fish with out doubt, I've never liked dead fish or any animals on a wall, but that's me , if you like it go 4 it, as U say there stocked fish.

Dids

Thats about it Dids.
    Last couple of years Ive seen a definate swing away from hard core C & R in this forum, to a more relaxed "by all means take it, just dont waste it" attitude.
    My self included there, must be getting old and soft!

Race you to that 130 Matt, loser shouts a carton of the victors choice, and I like Bundy and cokes, by the way

A good piccy for me Mat. love to catch a big fish but man I love seeing them swim after. In saying that if someone was to take one, good on them there are some really great ones done with logs as part of the main feature and yeah there fish there time and effort they do what they like.

By the way reading Pauls post I finally realised who you are, you did part of the dam hot series with my uncle John (Rowie) at Borumba ha well there ya go....

Nath

Me, no. Don't care if others do. They put in the effort and should feel no remorse for doing so.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    A good piccy Mat for me. love to catch a big fish but man I love seeing them swim after. In say that if someone was to take one good on them there are some really great one done with logs as part of the main feature.

By the way reading Pauls post I finally realised who you are, you did part of the dam hot series with my uncle John (Rowie) at Borumba ha well there ya go....

Nath
    As I said Nath....he's a hooligan Haven't you seen some of the clobber from his Awoonga boys' bash each year? The out takes on his Dam Hot series was also special.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Matt,
    When I was at mondy last, The locals and guide said if I were to keep one they would prefer I kept a big one (meter plus) not the smaller 700-800 ones.
    There was also a 1.4 sitting in the bottom of the shop freezer up there a kyaker was getting mounted.
    No problems from me if you did tho.
    Just getting a 1.3 is the trick hey.

Roll on the 25th

Steve

If you do end up getting mounted, why not consider putting it in a display frame like those 3D photos.

It would keep the dust away and you could include some lights to accentuate it.

Luc