Thread: What Gear Do You Recommend

What Gear Do You Recommend

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and freshwater fishing, though I have been keen to give a go for quite some time.

I am heading up to Lake Borumba in a few weeks and have been reading some of the previous threads to gain some insight. However, I have no real idea of what gear to use, i.e. when fishing for bass, togas and whatever else may be lurking what rated rod, line, leader etc should I be looking at? Do most people use different rods and lines for bass and togas or can you get away with a general set up?

Also we are heading up without a boat (no trailer atm). Any advise on where we could fish off the banks and still have a chance of catching fish?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Cheers.

Re: What Gear Do You Recommend

A decent rod with a 8-12lb rating, 6'6'' will be more than suitable for both bass and toga mate. If fishing of land I would go a spin, maybe a daiwa exceller will go nice and some 10lb braid.

you can also try the stream in the deeper holes behind the caravan park in imbil for some bass and toga that have been washed over the wall or try the roas crossings of yabba ck

shane

spin gear is definatly the go if going of the bank 6 to 8 kg matched with a 1000 to 2500 size reel 8 to 10 kg braid ,10 lb leader ,there is not many spots to fish the banks at borumba ,robers has it fish the creek below the wall in the caravan park ,slider grubs on 1/4 oz highead in smoke yellowcore ,spinnerbaits,tn60 jackalls work for me cheers AL

I'm with Shane ..... rather than the dam , I would put the effort in on Yabba Creek .
    Plenty of fish ( toga , bass & yellas) went over the spillway and the survival rate would be pretty high. Some good access can be found all the way from Imbil to the dam

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks all for your advice. Turns out we can't get into Cabins by the Creek until mid Sepetember so will heading up there then. Hopefully the fish can wait for me

Probably best to delay it. The creek below the dam would be subject to the bass closure so to fish there for them now would be illegal. Once the season is open again, you can try the creek for bass. Also the togas will be going into spawn mode soon, so they will be come more difficult to catch. Re gear set up, I fish a 2-5kg road, 2500 size spin reel, 4-8lb braid and 6-10lb leader. Same gear for toga/bass/silvers/yellas.

Cheers
    Steve