Thread: stinger hooks on soft plastics.

stinger hooks on soft plastics.

Ok so today was fishing for flatties i hooked up to them but they cant comeing off and i lost a decent bream also. or was it just bad lucl

I am using size one or 1/0 hooks maybe i should upsize to 2/0. But was thinking is there a good way to rig up stinger hooks on shaky shads/ squidgy fish. maybe just a small treble hook near the tail?. What are some suggestions to do this the best way i was thinking just a little bit of 15lb line or something about 2cm long ? or is there a easy way to do it. Does it impare the action to much. would love so suggestions cheers .

Do many people have stinger rigs on there soft plastics?.

I forgot to mention im using 70 and 80mm baits. and that im new to the whole soft plastic fishing so just trying to improve my chances and over comeing the things i experience while using them.

Re: stinger hooks on soft plastics.

I know some of the Barra boys use a stinger trebble suspended under a slick rig off trace wire from the jig head. You could probably do it with a 70-80mm version as well with a smaller hook. I had a go at a few of these a while back but over crimped the wire and lost a few trebbles on hook ups. Gotta learn how to use a crimper properly one day.
    I wonder if a stinger hook like is used on a spinner bait would work ok.
    Steve

double post

I know some of the Barra boys use a stinger trebble suspended under a slick rig off trace wire from the jig head. You could probably do it with a 70-80mm version as well with a smaller hook. I had a go at a few of these a while back but over crimped the wire and lost a few trebbles on hook ups. Gotta learn how to use a crimper properly one day.
    I wonder if a stinger hook like is used on a spinner bait would work ok.
    Steve
    Most the info i have googled on this was for spinner baits. So seems there the popular choice for stingers.

Keep the line tight - no slack in the line after hooking up. If the tails of the plastics are being bitten off - try retrieving the line slower.

This works for me.

Cheers,
    Wags

Some guys in ABT bream comps will run a small treble stinger hook in the end of their gulp shrimp, as bream have a habit of just nipping the tail when they are not being aggressive.

I was fishing the same plastic and got zero to my pro/boater who landed his five cause he had the stingers, but they would not fish the stinger socially, and you also lose way more gear to snags with the stinger.

Some days i have bream just plucking at the rear of the hard bodies i'm fishing, and you have to slow down or pause the retrieve to actually get a hookup.

With flathead it's a matter of making sure you have good hook exposure from the plastic, and wait until you can feel plenty of wait before you load your rod up, sometimes a flathead will just grab the bait in it's mouth but can still just spit it out boatside or half way in! That's frustrating when you like eating flathead!

Mick.

Been using soft plastics in the estuary now for about 5 years and rarely lose a fish.

The trick when using soft plastics is do not strike at the fish when you feel the bite, other wise you will lose it every time, as basically you are ripping the lure out of it's mouth at a million miles an hour.

For Bream and Trevally what I do is keep winding the line and putting action on the lure until I feel the fish has hooked himself. Sometimes bream tend to chase the lure for a while before finally hitting it. I have even hooked bream at the boat side as the lure is about to come onboard.

For Flathead you generally get a gentle/faint bite, and I stop winding and wait a little while for the fish to swallow the lure or starts moving. Flatties tend to take the lure in the mouth then swallow it later. Sometimes I raise the rod tip up gently to find out if he has hooked himself and in the process the fish takes a run and hooks himself.

I normally use a 2/0 ball head 2 gram jighead and don't seem to have any issues.

Best of luck

Went out for an hour today caught 3 flatties about 45cm and one flatty yesterday same spots same time same softplastic even haha. two of them just took it straightup one i slowed down then it was on. Good advice what ever i did today seem to work haha.