Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aluminium temper tubing

Re: Aluminium temper tubing

Sounds like you've got it well sussed Dave
    Didn't mean to make it sound otherwise.
    Just seen so many jobs crack up for the sake of properly placed gusseting.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Owen, it was only because of your post, that I decided to place the gusset that way.
    I would have done it incorrectly, if you had not posted.
    Is the plating OK, welded on between the tubing legs . Iwould prefer to do it that way, purely for looks.
    Is any thing affected by doing it that way.
    Regards David

David,
    In general terms it is better to put the gusset on the outside of the pipes, but it depends on how much movement there is likely to be.
    If it's made in such a way as there is not much unsupported pipe, then the image I have marked as bad word most likely be fine if you find it more aesthetically pleasing, but having the gussets out flush with the outside cuts the risk of cracking.
    See attahed image.
    Cheers,
    Owen

Owen, I am going to do approximately this , so far as plating is concerned.
    David

PS can you use a hydraulic pipe bender in a horizontal position, instead of vertical.
    David

David,
    That design should be fine.
    Yes you can use the bender in a horizontal position.
    I'm guessing it's a plumbers type unit with cast centre die and two rollers?
    If so you'll probably get poor results on alumiium. It will flatten badly as the dies are a poor fit.
    You're better off paying to get it bent with a mandrel bender, though there are some pump style units with machined steel dies that work OK.
    Cheers,
    Owen

Owen, yep, cast type shoes.
    However I was lucky enough to have Steve, from Ausfish contact me, as he uses the same type of unit.
    He has an interesting method of drawing the tube around the shoe, by not starting in the middle of the bend.

He works from the end of the bend, working with 12 strokes of the ram, then working in 20mm increments, to the other end of the bend.
    He gets a great result.

Professional benders are asking 16 dollars a bend, and I have 12 to do, and 6 crowns.
    So work that out.
    If I have any hassles, I will have to bend a former out of ply, similar to the one in the pic, I will post later.
    Regards David