Thread: barra fishing spots

barra fishing spots

I am planning a fishing/camping trip to North Qld in early august. I would be appreciative of any suggestions from members on good freshwater barramundi spots in the Normanton - Atherton Tableland areas. I am travelling on a tight budget but am happy to pay for charters/tours if they are not too expensive. Would be grateful for any advice or tips from those who have been there.

Re: barra fishing spots

A few good barra spots around the Atherton Tablelands/Cairns area - they fish pretty bloody well in August too!

Lake Tinaroo (come and have a look!)
    Mulgrave River
    Barron River
    Trinity Inlet
    Daintree

Have you got Lakefield N.P in mind at all? As it is quite a special place to fish and is really only accesible at that time of year, though you must pre-purchase camping spots etc RIGHT NOW as they go like hot hot hot cakes - this can be done through DERM.

Karumba is always on the cards - probably the best big barra location in Australia (thats a big call, but it's on the money).

Mate the choices are really endless... I could post you locations till the sun goes down. If you can, try and get your hands on the Northern Australia Fish Finder magazine, OR 4CF (Four wheel, camping & Fishing) Magazine - North Qld edition. This magazine was produced by Matt Hobson and is well worth putting in your ute if your heading up here!!! Both these magazines give good info on all spots, techniques and everything in-between.

More then happy to help with any other info mate... just give us a PM if ya like and I'll try and get back to ya!

Cheers

Theo
    TT

Re: barra fishing spots

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    A few good barra spots around the Atherton Tablelands/Cairns area - they fish pretty bloody well in August too!

Lake Tinaroo (come and have a look!)
    Mulgrave River
    Barron River
    Trinity Inlet
    Daintree

Have you got Lakefield N.P in mind at all? As it is quite a special place to fish and is really only accesible at that time of year, though you must pre-purchase camping spots etc RIGHT NOW as they go like hot hot hot cakes - this can be done through DERM.

Karumba is always on the cards - probably the best big barra location in Australia (thats a big call, but it's on the money).

Mate the choices are really endless... I could post you locations till the sun goes down. If you can, try and get your hands on the Northern Australia Fish Finder magazine, OR 4CF (Four wheel, camping & Fishing) Magazine - North Qld edition. This magazine was produced by Matt Hobson and is well worth putting in your ute if your heading up here!!! Both these magazines give good info on all spots, techniques and everything in-between.

More then happy to help with any other info mate... just give us a PM if ya like and I'll try and get back to ya!

Cheers

Theo
    Thanks so much for taking the time to help. I will follow up on all your advice. Will be in touch.