Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what are some of the better soft plastics

Re: what are some of the better soft plastics

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    yep yep. great colour isnt it! great for snaps and flatties. liking it alot too.
    Another vote for that combo here. Still the best starter lure is the Gulp Minnow Grub or Swimming Mullet (same shape) in Punkinseed. You will be amazed at what you will come across on them. Start with TT or Nitro Jigs before you start making your own
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Quote Originally Posted by seriola ilandi View Post
    mate if you wanted to keep things cheap you could do something like you suggest and it would work fine but i recomend if you want to refine your gear and bypass the effort to make your premade jigheads, for the sake of a few bucks go purchase some 1/6, 1/4, 3/8oz (heavier needed in deep strong current) dedicated jigheads in 2/0, 3/0 size if your just starting out and want to target small to medium flathead.
    Yeah i will have a good look tomorrow some 2/0 would be fine anyway. i shall see what i stumble upon tomorrow!

so natural looking clear fish for clear water, bright colors for dark works a treat?. i was looking on youtube before and they were saying darker colors for dark water?

sorry for the noobness trying to get it right the first time

My theory is......(and I am not trying to create a forum argument) is the more the plastic looks like the bait in the area......the more likely you are to catch fish.
    I have fished plastics of many different colours sizes and shapes.....but have ALWAYS found that the colours and sizes of the bait in the area, work the best. Yes, I have caught fish on the nukechook, vader, etc, but always come back to pumpkinseed and watermelon pearl for safe guard.

Hence why I mentioned the watermelon pearl colour. These reflect a small baitfish and the 4" is a perfect size for all fish in estuary conditions.

Not trying to force my opinion, just voicing it.

Cheers.
    Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jurkyjj View Post
    My theory is......(and I am not trying to create a forum argument) is the more the plastic looks like the bait in the area......the more likely you are to catch fish.
    I have fished plastics of many different colours sizes and shapes.....but have ALWAYS found that the colours and sizes of the bait in the area, work the best. Yes, I have caught fish on the nukechook, vader, etc, but always come back to pumpkinseed and watermelon pearl for safe guard.

Hence why I mentioned the watermelon pearl colour. These reflect a small baitfish and the 4" is a perfect size for all fish in estuary conditions.

Not trying to force my opinion, just voicing it.

Cheers.
    Jason.

your opinion is very much needed i know the bait in the area be mullet and herring and yabbies is the area i plan on going on sunday. so i will be getting a mix bagged, i was thinking that something different might be more appealing colourwise, but yeah its good hearing various opinions then i can go decide and see how it works for myself.

Good luck!!
    Let us know how you go and with which plastics you catch the most / best on.
    Hope you do well.

Jason.

Based on this thread, go for pumpkinseed and watermelon, in the smaller sizes (3-5", in various shapes) and you'll be right on the money, so to speak.
    Also, if you're targeting Flathead, I've also had a lot of luck with the 5" Gulps in Nuclear Chicken too.....
    So many options, so little time.... when it comes to SPs.
    Good luck and keep us up to date with your success!

so i went shopping today ended up buying 80mm shaky shads in pumpkin seed, 70mm squidgie fish in silver fox and black and gold some 1/0 hook and jigheads. and a gladiator popper see how that goes because there seems to be a bit of surface activity on where i plan on going tomorrow and there are some shallow flats.

i bought some tuna oil to chuck in the squidgee pack to give it some smell. Would it mess with the berkleys if i throw a few mills in that pack too?

The berkley gulps have already got an attractant in them, so I would probably say don't......but.....happy to hear other people's opinion's.
    As for the squidgies, I would give it a go.....you can buy these with the "S FACTOR" tube in the pro range. maybe try those next time.

Good Luck.

Jason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurkyjj View Post
    The berkley gulps have already got an attractant in them, so I would probably say don't......but.....happy to hear other people's opinion's.
    As for the squidgies, I would give it a go.....you can buy these with the "S FACTOR" tube in the pro range. maybe try those next time.

Good Luck.

Jason.

yeah i saw them with s factor scent but thought i would try the tuna oil. I wanted some anyway so al is good. i throw some in my old berkley nuclear chickens but not the new pack yet as a trial. I best start loading up the boat!

not much luck with the sp's today but got a bream on the popper and a small flatty hopefully theyll grow big and strong for next time.