Thread: after some battery advice

after some battery advice

so i just bought a boat recently, 3.7m v nose punt seajay bass n barra with a 06 merc on her. it came with a 44lb jarvis walker transom mount electric motor. but not battery to power it with. What should i be looking at amp/per H wise or what kinda battery so i can get max use out of it.

Re: after some battery advice

You need a deep cycle battery for this application. At least 100 Amp Hours - ideally around 120 Amp Hours will meet your needs.

AGM batteries are, in my view, by far the best for this application. This describes the construction, not the brand. They are tough as nails (originally developed for US defence force). They are fully sealed, so no chance of leakage and can be used on their side, or even upside down!

I use a 120 AH Fullriver brand AGM on its side to drive the 55lb Minn Kota on my boat. I also use AGM batteries in my vehicle and caravan for fridges, lights, etc. I have a total of 6 AGMs in use (1 in boat, 3 in van, 2 in veh).

AGMs are also more tolerant of deep discharge than ordinary wet cell Lead acids.

AGMs are a bit more expensive than 'wet cell' batteries, but are well worth the expense.

Whatever you get, you will need a good multi stage charger to fully charge it between uses and ensure long life.

Norm C

Well said, you can also look at calcium batteries , they are tottaly sealed, like AGM.
    I have several AGM batteries, 2 in my boat and 3 in cars> I bought my first calcium about a year ago and so far so good . I don't use wetcell batteries, I haven't used them for several years now.

I have heard good things about AGM batteries. I will looking to them, all the ones ive seen are like 60 AH or so would that be to little?. I will have to look into it more

Quote Originally Posted by 004dam View Post
    I have heard good things about AGM batteries. I will looking to them, all the ones ive seen are like 60 AH or so would that be to little?. I will have to look into it more
    60 AH would be too small. 100 and 120 AH are very common sizes. Whitworths and Bias generally have them at a reasonable price, but lots of other places as well.

Where are you located? I may be able to help with some ideas on whereto try.

Norm C

AGM is best but if the budget is limited, soething like this would work:
    http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/gen...mpTechD87L.htm

I am located on the sunshine coast so i will try whitworths and bcf

Quote Originally Posted by NormC View Post
    You need a deep cycle battery for this application. At least 100 Amp Hours - ideally around 120 Amp Hours will meet your needs.

AGM batteries are, in my view, by far the best for this application. This describes the construction, not the brand. They are tough as nails (originally developed for US defence force). They are fully sealed, so no chance of leakage and can be used on their side, or even upside down!

I use a 120 AH Fullriver brand AGM on its side to drive the 55lb Minn Kota on my boat. I also use AGM batteries in my vehicle and caravan for fridges, lights, etc. I have a total of 6 AGMs in use (1 in boat, 3 in van, 2 in veh).

AGMs are also more tolerant of deep discharge than ordinary wet cell Lead acids.

AGMs are a bit more expensive than 'wet cell' batteries, but are well worth the expense.

Whatever you get, you will need a good multi stage charger to fully charge it between uses and ensure long life.

Norm C
    100% agree Norm.
    Great advise.
    Well written.

Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

Norm C

Absolutely agree ! .... :grin: