Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Powered jockey wheels and dollies

Re: Powered jockey wheels and dollies

Sorry Frank. No petrol motor or generator as the design criteria does not allow it.
    Charlie's criteria were:
    Silent (big one as it'll be used in the middle of the night).
    Able to move a modestly sized boat up an incline made of concrete.
    Able to manoeuvre a modestly sized boat in a confined area.
    Compact
    And the area of manoeuvring is fairly small. Range is not important.

So I went electric motor as it suits the quite issue and 240V as batteries would be just something else to play up and need replacing.

The easiest way to stop the wheel stands is to bring the towbar to be forward of the rear axle.
    Simple enough to do physically as you sit well forward of the rear axle. It would only mean cutting off the rear and putting a steel bridge over the front of the diff for the towball to bolt onto.
    If wheel spin was a problem simply filling up the tyres with water may resolve a lot of those issues as they're really fat tyres on the back and I reckon about 20L plus of water would go in them.
    The hydrostatic rear end in this one may have issues because of the lower belt speed due to the smaller diameter of the pulley on the motor (to give good torque characteristics). I'll shove a bigger pulley on the see what happens but I think the motor will die under any load.
    Manual instead of hydrostatic would be better I reckon.

I'm still steering towards making one out of a manual gearbox out of a ride-on, having only two wheels (stand up to operate) and still 240v electric. The rear end out of the Deutscher mower would suit this particularly well as it's manual gearbox running a chain and sprocket final drive and they have 4 drive wheels on the back.

This ride-on as it is does not really fit the compact criteria either.

Attachment 68322
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Might be time to think a bit harder on this Finga.

Now that's just silly Terry.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

What a bewdy, Finga!

A home made dodgem car that does wheel stands.

Wow!!!!

Hi Jack
    Just wondering if you have any details on the powered jockey wheel, as I am wanting to build one similar to what you have described above to move both van and boat.
    Dave