Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hw do you measure true boat speed?

Hw do you measure true boat speed?

Just wondering how we should measure boat speed at any revs or WOT.

I read some claims on here of speeds in boats with my eyebrows raised as I can't see those speeds being possible with some of the motors/ configurations etc.
    Is it that some measure speed by the speedometer on the dash of their boat? As for me I use my GPS /Plotter

I have found speedometers on boat very inaccurate, Is this true?
    Any thoughts?

Cheers
    John

Re: Hw do you measure true boat speed?

Only trouble with GPS is it gives you speed over ground, it doesn't take into account the speed of the water you are on. Your speed relative to the water would be your true boat speed. I guess a paddle wheel or the pitot type speedo would be the only ones that would measure true boat speed, but I don't know how accurate they are.

Dave.

John,
    I have just got a new 440 hornet trophy with 60HP four stroke and have been interested in speed at various revs. What I have noticed is the reading on my speedo is only ever 1 or 2 Km/h off what the GPS is saying. Hence I get some comfort given they are very close of a reasonably accurate speed reading.
    Cheers
    Brett

Quote Originally Posted by davez104 View Post
    Only trouble with GPS is it gives you speed over ground, it doesn't take into account the speed of the water you are on. Your speed relative to the water would be your true boat speed. I guess a paddle wheel or the pitot type speedo would be the only ones that would measure true boat speed, but I don't know how accurate they are.

Dave.
    Dave my Garmin has Speed accross Ground as well SOG? Would this be as accurate as you could get?
    John

Not sure what the difference would be but it still wouldn't take into account if you where running with or against the tide, could make a few knots difference to your speed over ground.

For most purposes the GPS would be accurate enough I guess.

Dave.

Yep my speedo is within a knot of the gps unless I am in strong current which adds another +/-2 to the difference depending on the direction of travel.

As far as speed measurement goes, some tend to stretch their performance figures for reasons best known to them, and in these cases are usually using a hand held instrument rather than speedo or GPS :grin:

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by black runner View Post
    Yep my speedo is within a knot of the gps unless I am in strong current which adds another +/-2 to the difference depending on the direction of travel.

As far as speed measurement goes, some tend to stretch their performance figures for reasons best known to them, and in these cases are usually using a hand held instrument rather than speedo or GPS :grin:

Cheers
    Arrr!! To funny black runner! but I suspect you are right!

Cheers
    John

You just know you are faster if you get there before the next boat.

Gps for my money. It's a bit of an average anyways as we are not speed boats. Wind and tide would make a bit of difference either way, but who really cares.

Cheers
    Chris

I reckon use the gps but do a run upriver then a run downriver and take the average and that should be true speed over water . i have seen a water wheel read 80 km/h on a tiller steer 40hp this would be at least 20% out I never saw the tinny's speed checked with a gps though
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

you have to run both ways to tell the difference, ie, if you are wind or water assisted accross ground, but yeah, who cares

Its all within cooee anyway, and the only thing that really matters is if your boat is faster than the other boat!

I have a big wedged block of wood with a long rope tied to it. In that rope there is a knot every 47ft.

You throw the wood out while travelling, then count how many knots move through your hands in 30 seconds, thus giving your speed in 'knots'.

I used to use a 30 second hourglass to time this, but having now moved to the modern era, I use my watch instead.
    I'm right 98% of the time - who cares about the other 3%

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    you have to run both ways to tell the difference, ie, if you are wind or water assisted accross ground, but yeah, who cares

Its all within cooee anyway, and the only thing that really matters is if your boat is faster than the other boat!
    I have had readings as far as 4 nautical miles different eg 31nm and 35 nm so i would say that boat did 33nm
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

GPS is the only proper reading consistently accurate, a speedo only needs a bit of weed or a few grains of sand jammed up the pickup hose and it is way out, a paddle wheel is kind of OK, until you take into account chop and wash causing incorrect readings, but then as mentioned, who the hell cares, unless you are in a slow zone (which is very slow) I have yet to see a 100KPH sign out near the shelf, or yet to see many days when the speed is relative to anything except getting smacked down on chop, in which case, who cares how fast you were going when you mate was tossed overboard because your boat can do 60KPH so thats how fast we should be going!

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    I have a big wedged block of wood with a long rope tied to it. In that rope there is a knot every 47ft.

You throw the wood out while travelling, then count how many knots move through your hands in 30 seconds, thus giving your speed in 'knots'.

I used to use a 30 second hourglass to time this, but having now moved to the modern era, I use my watch instead.

47 feet? Dicko you dinosaur, get with the times! today we have new knot tying technologys available that can double your speed and almost halve your fuel consumption:cheesy:

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post

Very funny Dicko, think I needed a laugh. Hows the sextant going?