Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 406 gps epirb hire $29 pm

406 gps epirb hire $29 pm

Come across this site that hires 406 gps epirbs from $29 per month for 12 month term. Short term also available as well as cheaper long term hire. Here's the link -
    http://www.epirbhire.com.au/longtermhire.htm

Ps: GPS 406 epirbs retail from $600 up

Re: 406 gps epirb hire $29 pm

Thanks noboat.

These seem to be the PLB version not the Marine approved versions. They are used for land-based trips liking hiking camping etc. But they do not meet the safety equipment requirements for boats beyond partially smooth waters.

Cheers

Dave

also mate 406 epirbs are about $400 not $600

Quote Originally Posted by Outsider1 View Post
    Thanks noboat.

These seem to be the PLB version not the Marine approved versions. They are used for land-based trips liking hiking camping etc. But they do not meet the safety equipment requirements for boats beyond partially smooth waters.

Cheers

Dave
    They mention in thier blurb about it being waterproof, and able to float, salt and fresh, and also being suitable for marine use. They are also the same modle number as the ones in the boat shops.

Quote Originally Posted by noboat View Post
    They mention in thier blurb about it being waterproof, and able to float, salt and fresh, and also being suitable for marine use. They are also the same modle number as the ones in the boat shops.
    PLBs are waterproof and able to float, however they aren't able to float upright. This distinguishes them from an EPIRB. EPIRBs, when floating upright are able to use the water surface as a ground plane for reflecting signals up to the satellites and any aircraft.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Mtx View Post
    also mate 406 epirbs are about $400 not $600
    non gps version yes $400, GPS version $600+

To add to the last post - PLBs are great for attaching to PFDs or life vests. They can be carried in addition to an EPIRB and are an added safety feature, but don't comply with state safety regs where an EPIRB is required.

Fair square, they don't comply. My post was just a little miss guided. Would be good if you could hire them as it would open another option to some people.

noboat,
    I hate to say it, but if you can afford to fish where an EPIRB is required, you can afford the $375-400 for the EPIRB.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

I STAND CORRECTED THEY DO SEEM TO HIRE THE MARINE 406 EPIRB

Here is what they say, coppied direct from their home page, they do both PLB's and floating EPIRBS.

We rent and sell both types of distress beacons: The analogue 121.5Mhz and the digital 406Mhz in either the floating EPIRB or the smaller lighter, hand held personal locating beacon (PLB).

Here is the link to their home page - www.epirbhire.com.au . Also click on the pricelist link and it will also state 406 PLB & EPIRB. I would assume they would also do a long time hire on the EPIRB too.

Quote Originally Posted by peterbo3 View Post
    noboat,
    I hate to say it, but if you can afford to fish where an EPIRB is required, you can afford the $375-400 for the EPIRB.
    It may just be an option for some. Or if they become in short supply when they are rerquired by LAW. For me I only use me tub in the deep blue [where an epirb is required] about 2-3 times a year when the weather is great.

You can hire the marine ones (and GPS versions also) from that site ie epirbhire.com.au, and from one other site that I could find;

http://www.epirbhire.com.au/prices.htm

http://www.gpsoz.com.au/epirb/epirb_hire.htm

You just need to make sure that you specify that you want a Marine approved EPIRB, not a PLB.

Cheers

Dave

Posted this response on another thread:

Hi Stephen,

An EPIRB can only be registered under one owners name (account) but linked to this account can be a maximum of 4 x platforms. Between the group they would have to nominate a primary account name, address and phone numbers. Its important to update the registration as to who has the EPIRB and what platform to prevent confusion if detected.

The 406 Beacon Register will be available online from Tuesday 24th June. This will mean immediate and prompt access to updating the registration details.

Just keep in mind that part of the compulsory registration is having a registration sticker affixed to the EPIRB. The sticker will print the HEX ID, expiry date (2yrs) and either the primary vessel name, registration number or owners name if more than one platform. So if the EPIRB is used by 4 different vessels/owners the sticker will only print one name and hence when inspected may not comply.

We recommend each owner purchases their own EPIRB and registers under their personal details.

If you wish to discuss further let me know.

Regards,

Linda Berryman

AUSTRALIAN 406 MHz / MMSI DATABASE MANAGER
    PLANNING AND BUSINESS SUPPORT
    EMERGENCY RESPONSE DIVISION
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?p=844472

we're gunna need to clarify some of these issues with our state enforcement authorities, e.g in QLD - MSQ (the regulatory body), Boating & Fisheries Patrol
    and Qld Water police.

regards
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by noboat View Post
    It may just be an option for some. Or if they become in short supply when they are rerquired by LAW. For me I only use me tub in the deep blue [where an epirb is required] about 2-3 times a year when the weather is great.
    noboat,
    I am not trying to stir you up but do the math. A GME is good for six years. $400 divided by six is $66 per year. If you do three trips per year the cost is $22 per trip. Plus there is no waiting, you look after the EPIRB & you know that it has not been dropped on the concrete.
    ROLL TIDE, ROLL.................

Regards,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by gelsec View Post
    Posted this response on another thread:

Just keep in mind that part of the compulsory registration is having a registration sticker affixed to the EPIRB. The sticker will print the HEX ID, expiry date (2yrs) and either the primary vessel name, registration number or owners name if more than one platform. So if the EPIRB is used by 4 different vessels/owners the sticker will only print one name and hence when inspected may not comply.

Linda Berryman

AUSTRALIAN 406 MHz / MMSI DATABASE MANAGER
    PLANNING AND BUSINESS SUPPORT
    EMERGENCY RESPONSE DIVISION
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?p=844472

we're gunna need to clarify some of these issues with our state enforcement authorities, e.g in QLD - MSQ (the regulatory body), Boating & Fisheries Patrol
    and Qld Water police.

regards
    Steve

registration sticker? Mmm what registration sticker? Does anyone know about this sticker? I've registered my 406 with MMSI & phoned to confirm they received it, which they did, but the good fellow at the other end didn't mention any registration sticker. Is this a sticker they subsequently mail back to you?