Thread: Good sized boat for trailing around country

Good sized boat for trailing around country

G'day all!

I'm off on a bit of a country expedition for the next few years. Been planning it for a while but there is always one problem that I cannot solve myself.

We're planning to go to Kakadu and up near Darwin and the Gulf of Carpentaria, and will be driving a manual 4WD Nissan Nivara (towing capacity of 3? tonnes) so weight will hardly be a problem.

I've had experience 4WD'ing, and we will be trying to hit remote spots.

The question I have is what size boat would be perfect for this trip? Easy to tow, can carry 3 people, and can fish both salt and fresh (maybe) with a good range? Price isn't an issue at present, just wondering what the ideal boat would be

Many Thanks,
    James

Re: Good sized boat for trailing around country

I would look at the tabs or bluefin range in about the 4.5m range with something like a 60 yammie 4 stroke . you could go offshore with this when the weather is right but it is not too big for little creeks and bank launches
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

have a look at this thread as I think it is a similar request to yours
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=163549
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

If you're going 4 wheel driving then you'll want a solid boat and trailer that will handle some off roading.

A Polycraft 4.5m centre console with a 60 horse DI E-Tec (less maintenance than the more complicated 4 strokes) would handle rocks being thrown up from the car toward the boat on dirt roads better than any aluminium boat and work well in the creeks and for smooth off shore in good weather.

I'd recommend a custom off road type boat trailer as well.
    | Savage Kestral with Evinrude 9.9 --> Stacer 3.9 with Yamaha 15 --> Polycraft 4.55 CC with Honda 50 --> Ally Craft Reel Mate 4.25 with Yamaha 3 cylinder 30 horse --> Hmmm what next? |

Weight is always an issue. Just not so much around the big cities.

As above, there's not much I can think of you won't be able to do in a 4.5 poly. Just get the right trailer.

70 litre underfloor tank standard gives good range too/

How remote do you want to go?

I've towed boats all up and down the coast from brissy to cape york. You dont really wanna be towing above 2 tonne long distance. I have a Navara but 2 tonne is the limit I feel for comfortable towing.

Depending on what roads you wanna go on depends on how big a boat you can buy. If your doing no offroad then I'd look at a 5.2 5.8m plate/pressed boat IMO

if you wanna hit cape york or do remote bush tracks, then the biggest boat you can tow is 4.5-4.7m from my experience.

Secondly you do not want a heavy boat if your not using boat ramps.So all depends on where your planning to go.

Here is a link to my offroad trailer/boat.http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=136194
    i take this up cape york,I launch at creeks/beeches ect. Its a struggle even at that size at times.

Also if your going really remote and hitting corrugated roads.Then dont get a EFI outboard. Go the old carby 2 stroke.outboard gets shaken like buggery on rough roads, also very easy to pick up crap in your fuel(dust etc) and nothing worse than braking down from blocked injector in some remote place and ruin your 2-3 week trip.Also dont buy a painted hulland get one with fuel tank in the floor.

I own a 4.5m seajay. but any high sided tinny will do. i like the 4.4 mako truck, stacer nomad, ally craft 4.6 truck(heavy though) Blue fin 4.5 would be nice but can you buy one unpainted? and a 4.6 formosa CC would be damn sweet rig if you could handle the weight.

Of course if your not doing remote beach launches and using ramps only. I'd be looking at a 5.2-5.5 unpainted plate boat.

get as big a boat as you can tow comfortably at highway speeds, say about a 4.5? and I personally would go centre console, although tiller steer is very simple and less to bugger up on you, not painted would be also my option, get the best trailer you can find, I had a look at those Allison Alloy boats on the weekend and they look pretty good to me, seemed to be well built and lots of goodies standard, but I guess there is a million tinnies that are almost the same, so the choice is almost endless, as far as a motor goes, I personally would look for a carby model 2 stroke, but would be more than happy with a 4 stroke of any make, and resale would be better, as well as being a better boat once you get back with the 4.

hhmm should have read flex's reply much better, very similar to what I just said.