Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What a Cod!

What a Cod!

It has long been known by seasoned fishermen and woman that the first frosts of the year make for fantastic Murray Cod Fishing, and this rule of thumb has certainly proved true of late. John Wheeler of Condobolin caught and released a “fish of a life time” last week in the Lachlan River, by casting a 70mm Australian Crafted hard-bodied lure in a blue, black and red pattern. Mark Knaggs of Dubbo also ventured for an early morning cast as the mist lifted, and caught and released a beautifully marked 80cm fish not far from town. Mark caught the fish on a purple spinner bait.

Re: What a Cod!

Whoa, great fish, love the "smaller one", awesome colouring.

Hey Hat, you seeing this????

Some great fish coming out of your area Poddy, thanks for sharing. Would love to experience one of these awesome Australian fish at the end of my line. Can you or anyone fill me in on the main differences between these Cod and the Mary River variety in Qld?

Wow well done fellows they are 2 awsome speciemens of cod they would have been a battle and a half i. Im interested in having a go for these great aussie fish just got to get the info so i can plan a few trip down south the try them out its one i got to tick of the list . And and those 2 fish if they dont inspire me to have a go i dont know what will :smiley:

Yep Poddy......its THAT time of year.............................................. .............to put the boat away and walk the banks!

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    Some great fish coming out of your area Poddy, thanks for sharing. Would love to experience one of these awesome Australian fish at the end of my line. Can you or anyone fill me in on the main differences between these Cod and the Mary River variety in Qld?
    Mate, generally speaking not much difference at all. I believe the Mary River Cod has longer trailing white filaments to their pelvic fins.

a scientific answer is below.

The Mary River Cod differs from the Murray Cod by the combination of a deeper and shorter caudal peduncle (the region of the body between the end of the anal fin and the base of the caudal fin), longer pelvic fins, larger sagittal otoliths (part of the inner ear) and lesser extension of the first anal pterygiophore (the internal cartilage or bone that supports a median fin ray) towards the first caudal vertebra. It differs from the Eastern Cod by the combination of a deeper caudal peduncle, greater postorbital head length, smaller orbit, larger interorbital width, fewer scale rows behind the lateral line, shorter fifth-sixth dorsal spines and lesser extension of the first anal pterygiophore (Rowland 1993).

cheers

Thanks Pod - I'm with Brian , that smaller fish just looks sensational :cool:

Gotta get me a green fish! :tongue:

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well Knagg, maybe we could work sumthin out.... You find me my first meter Barra....And I'll find you some cod! lol Pod

magnificent fish men congrats

Looking forward to the queensbirthday weeken, bring on the frosts n big cod!

Poddy,

great cod mate....They are certainly a very special fish!! I am even more refreshed to see they were released! great stuff.

Its been many (tooooo many) years since I have caught one...I think I need to get down that way one day to experience these great aussie fish again.

Cheers Steve
    I dont have ADHD......ohh look a squirrell !!!

cracking cod Poddy,
    always love seeing pics of our aussie legend!
    Cheers,

Ben

Absolutely great fish there.
    The first one has the most amazing coloring.
    Great effort on both accounts.

Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

That's a bloody big cod!

Using the little kid for bait is a bit rough. See him still hanging out of the cods mouth. Big bait for big fish I suppose, I hope you you unhooked him before letting the cod go!

You'll be in trouble when Mum sees the pic.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Oh My COD!!