Thread: Quality Trailer Springs

Quality Trailer Springs

Hi

I was wanting to know where to get quality trailer springs in Brisbane.
    Just stuffed a set going up to the Gulf, I assume they were the cheap China sets as they were on the trailer from new but only 18 months old. All but the last 25ks of the 2800 each way was bitumen although the roads were failrly average, might throw another spring in as well

Cheers

Re: Quality Trailer Springs

Active Fab, Beenleigh Brisbane.

Cheapest place in Aus and have a massive range.

Agreed Active fab is the way to go.

Got mine at Mayne Spring Works near Albion, thats all they do, springs. They make their own up onsite to your specs and not much more than the imported ones. I went there after 1/2 the leafs on the gal springs from my 2 year old D#####r cracked. Very happy now. I've seen a good set up with a spare spring bolted with u-bolts to the winch post just below the winch and down along the main frame of the trailer.
    Cheers

If you want quality go airbags.
    Most of the replacement trailer springs available are Chinese and the best bet is to take another set with you as well as a spare set of hubs with the bearing already installed.
    A guy had a picture a few years ago which explained how he stored a spare set of springs on his trailer.
    It was a brilliant idea really as they were stored along the members of the trailer and when you undid one bolt they were off.
    He made some brackets which the slipper end slid into and then another bracket where the spring eye went up into and a bolt held it there.
    Very similar to how springs are held a trailer now but without an axle and perpendicular to the way the springs are on your trailer now.
    Clear as mud eh...sorry...but it was a great idea.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

a bit of a way from you, but there is a spring works in Port Kembla that will make the best springs there is for anything known to man, or they can supply Australian made springs for more common applications, they also ship all over the place simply because of their reputation, it is now a second generation business, with a third on the way to take over.

Thanks Guys
    I was thinking of replacing with parabolic springs, anyone used them?

If you can coil springs and air bags would be best. I had a mate with an offroad trailer with this set-up and worked a treat.

I use double wrapped greasable shackled springs. I got mine from active fab. They've done 3 trips to cape york now towing about 1.6ton and no dramas yet.

But its mostly slow nasty creek crossing stuff I do offroad. Not hundreds of KM of corrugations, If your doing this then def look at coils and airbags IMO

Tapered parabolic single leaf springs are great and will not rust out on you or lock up with minimal use. Getting hard to locate them now however, my last set was from Sydney and cost 215 for a galv set delivered.
    Jack.

Active Fab. have the parabolics too.
    But you have to have the boat/trailer weight to suit them as you cannot take a leaf out if they're rated too heavy for your boat/trailer setup as you can with the leaf springs.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I've been running a set of gal parabolic springs for the last 5-6 years. They have held up really well and have seen plenty of use.

They were recommended to me while I was living up in the Territory to handle the corrugations.

I purchased the springs from Darwin. Cost back then was $90 a pair (1,000kg springs). Lighter and heavier weight ranges were available, although personally I wouldn't use them on a real heavy boat/trailer set up.

Cheers,
    Roo.