View Poll Results: Should rock fisherman be required to wear an approved life jacket

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

45 43.27%
  • NO

50 48.08%
  • UNDECIDED

9 8.65%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rock fishing legislation

Re: Rock fishing legislation

I have just solved the problem .. MAKE ALL ROCK FISHING LOCATIONS GREEN ZONES . That will be next

I haven't voted because it's already certain you'll have to wear soon, those guys I see fishing in chest waders in near Botany Bay will hardly be able to move once they add PDF on top.
    Rock fishing a bit like driving a car with a certain level of baseline risk built then it's a safer or dangerous as the individual choose to make it. If we have people available to get out and enforce this why not send them out and try to talk some common sense to people.

I'm not some one who used to go rock fishing,I'm some one who still does and I say you've got to be joking.There have been warnings on the hour every hour for the last five days down this way that specificaly state 'Do not go rock fishing due to dangerous swell and surf conditions' and yet some numb nuts thinks he knows better and cops it.......next thing you know some one has a plan to save me (from myself)......NO life jackets here.......I'm with Finga,one less idiot in the gene pool.

Seriously do we need any more rules in this country???????? As has been said many times , you cant legislate for idiots. This countryprobably has more rules than any other we are so overgoverned it not funny so it's a big NO from me. I haven't rock fished in years but some days were dangerous so we didn't fish, it was that simple.

Ian

PS.

As has also been stated can you imagine the uproar if some guy got pinned for standing on a piece of coffee rock on the beach because he wasn't wearing a life jacket!
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Who would police it?

Quote Originally Posted by SQUIDDA View Post
    Who would police it?
    The police , fisheries , Maritime (NSW) ..... all could do it as part of their general duties - no different to how boat safety gear & licenses are currently checked.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I voted no because making a new law will not change anything . and where will the line in the sand be will it only stop at rock ledges or will it include every rock on a beach , or will it include the beach . I have never been to these places but if up here is anything to go by then I am sure there are plenty of signs warning of the dangers .
    the simple thing is if you make something idiot proof they find a bigger idiot
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

a PFD sure would make it esier for the authorities to pick the idiots bodies out of the water :rolleyes:

no for me

put plenty of recommendations on do's and don't's in the glossy literature for the powers to be to get a warm fuzzy feeling but then let us make an informed decision, don't tell me I need to have a PFD to go looking in rock pools or to throw a line in

cheers Murf

Yes. Only because of what is happening out there. There are people who have limited swiming ability taking on the power of the ocean.
    I know this sounds unfair to those who have a fantastic knowledge of safety when rock fishing.
    I dont believe such legislation would get passed as it would be too difficult to police.
    Maybe Im wrong but that is how I see it.

Gidday Saphire. Good to hear from you again :smiley:
    Quote Originally Posted by saphire View Post
    Yes. Only because of what is happening out there. There are people who have limited swiming ability taking on the power of the ocean.
    I have limited sky diving experience.
    There is no way I'm going to jump out of a plane....even with a parachute.
    People need to understand their own limitations at some stage in life because we cannot follow them around with signs and laws.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I also voted no.

We already have too much laws, rules and regulations trying to protect people from themselves. It's only feelgood stuff and ends up not working.

I have done a lot of fishing the rocks around Noosa heads. NEVER by myself and regularly returned to the car without wetting a line as we felt it was too risky.

I used to be a lifesaver and remember getting abused when trying to explain to people (often tourists and new comers) why they should swim between the flags.

Life is full of risks and you can't protect everyone.

IMO one of the worst aspect of many of those rules is that they make people feel safe and therefore more inatentive and careless.

Luc

I dont believe such legislation would get passed as it would be too difficult to police.
    Well how many Laws have they passed that they cannot/don't/barely police? Let's list a few...

Green Zones
    Size limits
    Bag limits

The are many others. It's all about having Joe Public think they are doing something, when they actually aren't.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Quote Originally Posted by TimiBoy View Post
    Well how many Laws have they passed that they cannot/don't/barely police? Let's list a few...

Green Zones
    Size limits
    Bag limits

The are many others. It's all about having Joe Public think they are doing something, when they actually aren't.

Tim
    Oh, I don't know about policing Timi.
    A little story...
    I was walking the dog along the beach at Evans.
    There was only me and the dog and a walker within eye sight on the entire beach.
    I got lumbered by 2 'compliance officers' who drove onto the beach where cars are not allowed.
    They had binoculars looking from the look-out and could see every bloody where without moving.
    Another long story short the pooch was driven home in the back of the paddy wagon because I did my nut again....and it felt good too to knock down (verbally of course :rolleyes the dog hating nazi's at Evans Head.

So the moral of the story.....if there's easy money to be made they'll police it...
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

I know this sounds unfair to those who have a fantastic knowledge of safety when rock fishing.
    Policing any of these things are difficult ....... but all it takes is for a few raids at known hot spots ..... put it in the press & the message would get out ........ certainly along the fishermans grape vine.

I still cant see how legislating a device that might save the anglers life is a bad thing
    Yes you cant legislate against stupidity - that's for sure

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Policing any of these things are difficult ....... but all it takes is for a few raids at known hot spots ..... put it in the press & the message would get out ........ certainly along the fishermans grape vine.

I still cant see how legislating a device that might save the anglers life is a bad thing
    Yes you cant legislate against stupidity - that's for sure

Chris
    But Chris it isn't the fisherman dying it is the people that do this infrequently I thought . if that is the case then grapevines won't help
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT