View Poll Results: Should rock fisherman be required to wear an approved life jacket

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

45 43.27%
  • NO

50 48.08%
  • UNDECIDED

9 8.65%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rock fishing legislation

Re: Rock fishing legislation

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    But when does it all end Chris?
    When are there enough rules that direct people as to how they're supposed to act and what they're supposed to do to try and keep themselves alive?

People have mentioned that people drown swimming at patrolled beaches.
    Do we make a law saying people swimming at beaches need to wear an inflatable jacket??
    What about the backyard pool??
    The numbers of people drowning at beaches and private pools would be higher then off the rocks.
    All very true - but that is in some ways taking it to the extreme ( I'm not for the cotton wool approach)
    I certainly dont think that wearing an inflatable yolk is extreme ...... just like wearing cleats or non slip boots ...... Its the right gear for the hazards faced .
    Risk minimization is always the key ....... it wont make everything 100% safe but it will have a impact.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I was just thinking about where I go fishing a lot.
    The north wall at Evans Head.
    At the end or beach side of the wall I would not go fish there no matter if I had a lifeline on and a helicopter hovering over me (bad seas).
    But 10m away on the river side of the wall on the same day the biggest threat is tripping over a lead attached to someone pomeranian.
    How do they legislate that scenario?
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Just read the article on the latest drowning at Bondi from the Telegraph.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225867432252
    The 5th paragraph is the telling one.
    Sad though, the guy will never see his un-born child.
    In experience was in my opinion the biggest problem here.
    I have seen all these rock fishing spots in Sydney and even back in the 80's when I was down there and considerably fitter than I am now, I doubt I would have fished too many of the spots as they were just peppered by huge waves most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4frog View Post
    Just read the article on the latest drowning at Bondi from the Telegraph.
    http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225867432252
    I might seem harsh but if someone goes fishing in the conditions shown in that photograph and drown they do not get much sympathy from me.
    You do not need much intelligence to realise the dangers that would be associated with fishing under those conditions.
    Would wearing a jacket have prevented his death (if he's dead)?
    Not if his head was bashed against some rocks it wouldn't have.

Maybe he should have thought about his wife, unborn child and the lives of his rescuers before climbing down a steel ladder into those conditions to get a possible feed of fish??

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    I might seem harsh but if someone goes fishing in the conditions shown in that photograph and drown they do not get much sympathy from me.
    You do not need much intelligence to realise the dangers that would be associated with fishing under those conditions.
    Would wearing a jacket have prevented his death (if he's dead)?
    Not if his head was bashed against some rocks it wouldn't have.

Maybe he should have thought about his wife, unborn child and the lives of his rescuers before climbing down a steel ladder into those conditions to get a possible feed of fish??

We will never know - will we ?

These locations ( Sydney Eastern Suburbs) are some of the most notorious on the NSW coast - They should only be fished by experienced anglers & in good conditions (which they were not).
    The truth of the matter is that in years gone by , they were frequented only by the experienced ........ today any Joe will wonder down if he thinks that he can get a feed & away from the crowds.
    Sorry but when it comes to rock fishing - there is too much uncommon sense:sad:

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Originally I voted undecided before anyone had replied, been thinking about it since.

A standard PFD1 will see many more in the water that wouldn't have without it. A automatic inflatable PFD1 will see many of those that fall without the ability to get away from the rocks and wash, could in theory be the safety device that ended up beating them to death.

An inflatable manual PFD1 will save lives esp so down south where a rock fishing trip in winter means rugging up heavily + sometimes waders even, if a person goes in like this struggling is just delaying the inevitable.

I have spear fished lots of times in heavy seas right next to rock fishing areas, the 'surf' doesn't actually want to throw you onto the rocks it just wants to move you forward and back and actually over any given time period back toward calmer open sea than onto the rocks, just 5-8 feet from the rocks and in water too deep to stand up in is often quite safe (but might still be very scary to the uninitiated) to just bob around in..

I am changing my answer to yes but only for the manual inflatables as I suspect that 99/100 that go in will go in conscious enough to pull a cord when it becomes safe enough to do so.

Now what to do with everyone who swims everywhere/anywhere else for recreation but without a lifejacket on?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    there is too much uncommon sense:sad:

Chris
    How too true matey. How very true. :sad:

We dont need any more laws to govern what we can and cannot do in our life. Next you will need to fill out risk assesments before going to wet a line. And put a harness and life line on, hard hat,life jacket, approved for wear and all gear mark with the australian standards mark. Or what the rule markes will do is just ban all rock fishing from places which could be seen as a moderate risk. Life is full of risks .

It's a bit like swimming between the flags.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    It's a bit like swimming between the flags.

Yup, soon they will legislate that. Then they will make it a law to wear a pdf when swimming between the flags cause a few poeple have drowned.

I was on Fraser last July and up at Indian Head. There was no-one fishing on the rocks and the conditions on the South side looked extremely inviting. I had my 8' St Croix surf casting rod matched to a 300 Conquest and some nice new metals.

After surveying the conditions for half an hour I decided it would be safe enough; at least for a quick 10-15min session.

Did I go??? NOPE... WHY NOT...???

1) Because I would have been fishing alone, with the wife & kids up on the beach.

2) I had no rock sandals or cleats & would have been wearing bare feet or normal sandals.

3) If I had've hooked a solid fish the above factors would have been compounded.

4) Plus you never know when a freak wave will rise up from nowhere and you gotta make a run for it.

5) I wouldn't have wanted to involve other people in a rescue!

6) Even though I had a fair bit of rock fishing experience in past years (mostly when after blackfish) I hadn't been off the rocks for well over 12 months & was rusty...so I kinda got the heebie geebies too.

So after a fair bit of "should I or shouldn't I" the safety-first option won out and I just "imagined" the fantastic spinning session I might have had.
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."

I've gotta say - I'm a little surprised by some of the negative responses :huh: I would have thought that most would agree that a device that may save ones life is a good thing ?
    I guess too many dont like government intervention - regardless if it is good or bad !
    It will be interesting to see this poll run its course - and hear both sides of the debate

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I vote no, NANNY STATE!!!!!
    For those that drowned in the past, it is a tragedy, but they also have collected the "Darwin Award"
    I'm of asian background and a very strong swimmer, would I walk onto a unfamiliar rock ledge in daylight? not a hope in hel, let alone in the dark, and I've fished pretty much most of the rock ledge of the east coast.
    Being a strong swimmer does raise your survival rate abit, but the odds are still against you when u fall in the briny. I have swam with a PDF1 on before and No I wouldnt have one around my neck bobbing up and down in violent water against a rock.
    But what ever make people feels safe tends to make them more complacent with their surrounding. just my 2 cents
    Humility is not a weather condition.

You can't legislate against stupidity.

They won't enforce it.

It's not a frikken' nanny state.

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

My two bits.

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I am surprised the yes vote is ahead. How many rules do we need. Every year ppl damage their spine in the surf due to the waves. My be we should say no surfing in a swell greater than .5mtre just in case. or that you need a swimming licence to show you are capable of swimming . lol People die every day it is a fact of life whether car crashes fishing misshaps or sports field injuries or just bad luck.