View Poll Results: Should rock fisherman be required to wear an approved life jacket

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

45 43.27%
  • NO

50 48.08%
  • UNDECIDED

9 8.65%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Rock fishing legislation

Re: Rock fishing legislation

Natural selection in my books.
    If a person hasn't any common sense then that's the best thing to do before they do something just as stupid in a car and hurt myself or someone I care about.

You can make all the rules and laws you want and who do they affect??
    Me and you. The people trying to do the right thing and the people who would sit down and think....bugger. waves are breaking over the top of the ledge. Better go and have a throw in the river instead of these people who would have no regard for laws and think...Mmmmm 20cm bream...let me at them.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Like many others i spent many of my early fishing days on the rock platforms on the NSW coast. Any one who has seen fellow fishers die in the pursuit of catching a fish or has been washed in several times them selves as i have will support any such law. I only wish the modern self inflating jackets were around in my youth; i would have several more friends today. I would like to see a law making them worn with every water sport. The cost at the moment is very manageable compared with what we spend on the rest of our fishing gear. It brings home to me that i spend more on my braid for one reel than most do on a life jacket.
    Regards to all Dick

PS: Very good thread NAGG
    Regards to all Dick

Why don't we make chook chaser's have airbags too whilst the rule writing pen is out.
    Why do you need to wear a helmet riding a bike and not a scooter or horse??
    Why truck drivers need to fill out a log book and a sales rep who travels everyday for his work does not have to fill a log book out??
    Why do truck drivers need another class of license to tow a trailer and the average mug with a F250 and goose neck doesn't??

All those who say we need a wear a life jacket on a rock law...do you have one for fishing of rock ledges??. Why haven't you got one now if you have not??
    Do you need a law that tells you what to wear going fishing in a dangerous spot?

I too went fishing on ledges before the days of inflatable jacket but on some ledges we used ropes to hold us just in case. Never had to use them but they were there just in case of a freak wave or 70.
    Where does common sense come into the equation?
    Do we need to have rock ledge closed signs about too because of rough conditions??
    Do we need Watch your step signs going down to a rock ledge??
    Do we need slippery rocks when wet signs just so people realise wet rocks are slippery??
    How about having the Westpac rescue copter hovering over just in case.

People should be taking measures themselves to ensure their own survival not relying on someone to make laws.

So when they make a law who is going to police it?
    Will the majority of jackets be unsuitable or no servicing records if they're of the inflatable sort or will everyone have the correct type of jacket and all the servicing up to date??

And it will end up fishing off a rock. Even if the rock is 87km up a river sitting on a bed of sand.

Finga

you hit the nail on the head. Unless people have stuff to tell them not to do it it's not their fault if something goes wrong. I mean these days who really takes responsibility for their actions these days? It is starting to get beyond a joke the attitudes of some people (Im not meaning this forum, im talking in life).

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4frog View Post
    With out putting to finer point on it, the families of both tragedies have been of Aisan extraction. Many of the drownings and rescues on Bondi Rescue are for people of similar backgrounds. It's commonly known they are not usually strong swimmers and I think this is an area that needs careful attention. Teach them to swim mandatory as we do or try to do with our children or fine them heavily if they are rescued because they couldn't swim. Harsh, maybe but you need to start somewhere.
    Possibly get them to prove they can swim for a fishing licence?

& here are some hard facts - There are some interesting statistics taken over a 10 year period

http://www.safewaters.nsw.gov.au/ass...ort_sept03.pdf
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Why don't we make chook chaser's have airbags too whilst the rule writing pen is out.
    Why do you need to wear a helmet riding a bike and not a scooter or horse??
    Why truck drivers need to fill out a log book and a sales rep who travels everyday for his work does not have to fill a log book out??
    Why do truck drivers need another class of license to tow a trailer and the average mug with a F250 and goose neck doesn't??

All those who say we need a law that says that also say they'd have one. Why haven't you got one now?
    Do you need a law that tells you what to wear going fishing in a dangerous spot?

I too went fishing on ledges before the days of inflatable jacket but on some ledges we used ropes to hold us just in case. Never had to use them but they were there just in case of a freak wave or 70.
    Where does common sense come into the equation?
    Do we need to have rock ledge closed signs about too because of rough conditions??
    Do we need Watch your step signs going down to a rock ledge??
    Do we need slippery rocks when wet signs just so people realise wet rocks are slippery??
    How about having the Westpac rescue copter hovering over just in case.

People should be taking measures themselves to ensure their own survival not relying on someone to make laws.

So when they make a law who is going to police it?
    Will the majority of jackets be unsuitable or no servicing records if they're of the inflatable sort or will everyone have the correct type of jacket and all the servicing up to date??
    I think you have about summed it up finga.

This thread has me worried that people will vote yes without any knowledge of rock fishing because of the tragedies that have occured lately. A bit of a knee jerk reaction to a sport they may know little about.

The drowning part is the final part of the picture. It wouldnt happen as often ( yes it will happen i know that ) if people didnt put themselves into situations that are unsafe and that comes down to education and common sense. Without sounding racist, lately if there was a ban on residents of a certain ethnic back ground rock fishing we wouldnt have this thread at all. I also doubt those most likely to be a statistic on the rocks would wear one anyway because they have very little regard to other fishing laws.

Quote Originally Posted by mitch92 View Post
    Finga

you hit the nail on the head. Unless people have stuff to tell them not to do it it's not their fault if something goes wrong. I mean these days who really takes responsibility for their actions these days? It is starting to get beyond a joke the attitudes of some people (Im not meaning this forum, im talking in life).

Mitch

Mitch - I dont think that its a case of telling people what to do (legislation for the sake of legislation) ......... but clearly too many people disregard or have no idea of the dangers that they face!
    I totally agree that each individual is responsible for there own actions ...... The trouble is that people are able to walk onto any rock platform regardless of experience & knowledge and start fishing .......
    The other point is that these unprepared newbies often endanger the lives of others
    Its now law to wear a PFD when making a bar crossing ....... why ? Is it because there are people that have no common sense or is it because things can & do go wrong when crossing a bar ?

Sometimes I feel we get a little too precious about our civil rights - I can still remember the hoo haa about Drink driving laws & could only imagine what people said about mandatory seat belts (today its an accepted part of life ... mostly) ..........
    I would much rather see someones feelings upset than to hear of more drownings - better off making sure that someone has means to improve their chances of survival than not.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

All good points Finga.I agree with you on natural selection. To much cotton wool tends to give people a 'common sense' labotomy. End of the day people need to take responsibilty for their own safety.

As a society why do we need to be policed on safety gear that will save OUR lives? Its rather pathetic if you ask me.As intelligent beings we seem to have lost the basic instinct of self preservation.

If you want to rock fish in 3m swells then thats fine IMO. Maybe we'd cull a few from the shallow end of the gene pool, as harsh as it is to say. For me personally I know for a fact I'd take all safety gear regardless of legislation because at the end of the day its my life in my hands.

Some people have to ask themselves " why am i putting my body in a situation where I can get seriously hurt of die?

I work in the mining industry, and safety requirements are anal to say the least.
    From my experience over legistration of safety tends to make people rely on safety 'systems/laws' for their safety instead of good ol common sense and self preservation.

Quote Originally Posted by deepfried View Post
    I think you have about summed it up finga.

This thread has me worried that people will vote yes without any knowledge of rock fishing because of the tragedies that have occured lately. A bit of a knee jerk reaction to a sport they may know little about.

The drowning part is the final part of the picture.
    Deepfried - I put this up because I have a background in rockfishing & I've seen what can & does happen.
    This type of discussion shouldn't be about a knee jerk reaction ......... people die on the rocks year in year out _ these recent events just highlight the need for discussion.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Its now law to wear a PFD when making a bar crossing ....... why ? Is it because there are people that have no common sense or is it because things can & do go wrong when crossing a bar ?
    But do they all??

Sometimes I feel we get a little too precious about our civil rights - I can still remember the hoo haa about Drink driving laws & could only imagine what people said about mandatory seat belts (today its an accepted part of life ... mostly) ..........
    But does everyone wear a seat belt or drive sober??
    Chris
    Chris, mate...the biggest problem is people do not take notice of rules and regulations if they don't want to. The key been IF THEY DON"T WANT TOO.
    When you consider the advertising campaigns that went into the seat belts wearing and people still do not wear seatbelts. For what-ever reason who knows. Who cares.
    Look at the number of people speeding and compare the educational programmes that have come in and out to warn people of the dangers of speeding. What is it?? Over $380 odd thousands of dollars per day of fines for people speeding in QLD. Why??
    How comprehensive was the advertising of wearing a life jacket whilst crossing bar??
    I reckon a high percentage of people still would not know about it.
    No matter to us because we wore jackets well before legislation came in.

Yes it sad when people die but people die. Fact of life.
    But an education programme letting people know of the dangers then there is absolutely no harm in that. It would be a welcome change actually trying to let people know things like that.
    I'd rather see an ad on telly telling people of the dangers of fishing of headlands and snorkelling with sharks then seiing an ad on telly with a politician telling us porky pies or big noting himself or an ad advertising 'We'll tell you your ideal partners name if you MSM your name to 1800 rip me off'

I too agree we are too precious about civil rights but we are precious to the wrong people for the wrong reasons.
    We have to respect the rights (including anonymity) of kiddy molesters or granny bashers or murderers but if I want to ride the deadly treadly 200m up the road I need a helmet. No if's or but's.

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Chris, mate...the biggest problem is people do not take notice of rules and regulations if they don't want to. The key been IF THEY DON"T WANT TOO.
    When you consider the advertising campaigns that went into the seat belts wearing and people still do not wear seatbelts. For what-ever reason who knows. Who cares.
    Look at the number of people speeding and compare the educational programmes that have come in and out to warn people of the dangers of speeding. What is it?? Over $380 odd thousands of dollars per day of fines for people speeding in QLD. Why??

Yes it sad when people die but people die. Fact of life.
    But an education programme letting people know of the dangers then there is absolutely no harm in that. It would be a welcome change actually trying to let people know things like that.
    I'd rather see an ad on telly telling people of the dangers of fishing of headlands and snorkelling with sharks then seiing an ad on telly with a politician telling us porky pies or big noting himself or an ad advertising 'We'll tell you your ideal partners name if you MSM your name to 1800 rip me off'

I too agree we are too precious about civil rights but we are precious to the wrong people for the wrong reasons.
    We have to respect the rights (including anonymity) of kiddy molesters or granny bashers or murderers but if I want to ride the deadly treadly 200m up the road I need a helmet. No if's or but's and no argument from me??
    atm ..... there is no law / requirement for anyone to wear a PFD - If it becomes law ( with an associated considerable fine) then the majority would wear one or go and fish a location that does not require one.
    So instead of the 1 or 2% that currently wear one - we might get 90% & the rate of drownings should fall accordingly........ Its simple logic
    Sure you are always going to get people who flout the laws ...... but its the minority

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I for one voted no.

As you know I fish the stones and love it,but because I do fish the rocks and have got to know the area well if the swell is up then I will not fish full stop as I believe that no fish is worth putting your life at risk for.
    If there was a law brought on making it a requirement to wear a life jacket then then there will be some that will wear the foam types and not inflatable ones. For me if I went into the drink then I would want to be able to swim away from the rocks and not be washed around like a cork.

If it is ever brought in I would like to see that it is only the yoke type inflatable
    Aussiefool
    Andrew
    Rainbow Trout is NOT skittle flavoured fish.........

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    atm ..... there is no law / requirement for anyone to wear a PFD - If it becomes law ( with an associated considerable fine) then the majority would wear one or go and fish a location that does not require one.
    So instead of the 1 or 2% that currently wear one - we might get 90% & the rate of drownings should fall accordingly........ Its simple logic
    Sure you are always going to get people who flout the laws ...... but its the minority

Chris
    But when does it all end?
    When are there enough rules that direct people as to how they're supposed to act and what they're supposed to do to try and keep themselves alive?

People have mentioned that people drown swimming at patrolled beaches.
    Do we make a law saying people swimming at beaches need to wear an inflatable jacket??
    What about the backyard pool??
    The numbers of people drowning at beaches and private pools would be higher then off the rocks.

So they bring in a law that tells us to wear a lifejacket whilst fishing off any rocks.
    It's then OK to be pi$$ed as a parrot whilst fishing off the said rocks as long as you have a lifejacket on??

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    stupidity isnt racist, you cant compare what you see on bondi rescue with rock fishos, ive known of 3 guys that have died rock fishing and none of them were asian, and they were strong swimmers, they just werent good thinkers, not enough respect for the ocean
    So true Benny.
    I didn't read my post back before I posted it.
    I also meant to mention that in all the footage of the last incidents, the only people visible and noted as family were asian. It is pertinent that we make certain everyone who is close enough to the water is drown proof or this will keep happening.
    Maybe they turned their back/s on the waves but the group of 5 who drowned was in my book just sheer stupidity.
    Yep, it is natural selection at work if you look at it harshly but surely preventable.