Thread: Cheapest rig for plastics

Cheapest rig for plastics

I'm looking to start my adventure with soft plastics chasing snapper/squire, flathead and other species in Moreton Bay.

I'm led to believe that graphite rods are the best option for SPs, so I'm looking to get an entry level rod and reel to add to my very old Ugly-stik and shimano rig.

Now, I know decent rigs can cost anywhere up to and over $1,000 but I'm looking for the cheapest feasible option, that will at least last a couple of years.

So, what's the bare minimum combo you guys would recommend?

Re: Cheapest rig for plastics

Hey mate my favourite combo that seems to do me is the pfluger trion and the sedonna shimano reel. Prob looking at around the 250 mark inc braid. Mines is in the 2500 size reel and a 2-4kg rod. tight lines

For a long long time i used a berkley drop shot 2-4 kg and a mitchell reel (cant remember the size) which i paid around the $160 mark.

You should be able to get a drop shot rod for about $100 and Pflueger Trinity for about $70 + 125yards of 6lb fireline for $30 and you are in business.

There are cheaper options out there but i would say you will be paying between about $150-$200 for a set-up of reasonable quality.

I would go with a Berkley Dropshot 2 - 4kg rod matched with a Shimano Symetre 2500 spooled with 8lb crystal fireline.

All up around $250.

This combo has landed me snaps to 49cm and flathead to 69cm with ease and is tough as nails...

A bit more pricey but the Starlo Stick Pro (3-6 from memory) or Pfluger Trion matched to a stradic 2500 is a good combo too....that is now my backup / vistors combo since upgrading to a t-curve / twin power...but it has served me well and can cope with some good sized snapper.

I prefer Fins braid, bit stiffer so less wind knots, but you will hear a hundred different prefereces on here!

There are some great outfits for around the $200-$250 mark.
    I like the Starlo Tournament Pro in either 2- 4kg or 3-6kg. You can get it for around the $130.00 mark. Also look at the Raiders, Trions and Dropshots. They are all great rods for the price.
    For a reel I would look at a Penn Applause 3000 at around $80.00 or so. My 2500 caught an lot of Snapper to mid 70s and lasted quite a few seasons. Also look at the Shimano Sedona 3000 as an option.
    Fill with Fireline in 8lb or 10lb, grab some flouro leader in 10lb and 14lb, a few packs of jigs in 1/8-1/2 oz and a few packs of gulps and you are all set to experience a lot of fun targeting Snapper on plastics
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"