Thread: Top Mulgrave River to Greenpatch - how far?

Top Mulgrave River to Greenpatch - how far?

Hey Guys,

A couple of mates and I are thinking about going down the Mulgrave from the Pub at the little mulgrave to green patch/highway bridge. We've got a little flat bottom boat with a 4 horse on it.

Just targeting some Jungle perch and sooties etc. Has anyone done the trip? We estimate it's about 15km but unsure exactly of distance and time. We are thinking of allocating a full day leaving at about 6.30/7am. Thinking of going this Saturday, so any info would be great.

Also what lures do JP's etc chase, I was thinking little spinners etc.

Pazz

Re: Top Mulgrave River to Greenpatch - how far?

Hey Pazz

Mate it's been 1 or 2 years since I've done that route on canoe/boat from the Little Mulgrave to Greenpatch, but I suspect it's a good deal shorter then 15km. From memory, where the Little Mulgrave flows in to the Mulgrave (basically Ross & Locke) it's about 6km to Blackwell's hole and another 2km's to Greenpatch. It's a fairly easy trip via canoe with a few good rapids here and there, some I'd definetely be walking around. A small boat with a 4 on the back would be more then ample, though the rapids will have to be walked around at this current level.

I'd also start from Ross & Locke rather then launch at the Pub as the old railway bridges etc on the Little Mulgrave are jammed up bigtime with logs and timber from years of floods. In swiftwater rescue terms they are 'strainers', something you don't want to get caught in! If you launch @ Ross and Locke you can easily make your way up (300/400m) to the junction of the Little Mulgrave and fish (pretty good fishing right there!). From there down to Greenpatch will have you in some pretty good fishing country, especially around Blackwell's pool and just below there is also some good fishing (JP, tarpon, sooty).

Little spinners arn't bad lures, but Poppers and small soft plastics also work well. Definetely get your hands on a few good poppers though like River2Sea 45's and also Rebels. Go in and see Damo @ Cairns Tackleworld and he will fill you in on good lures etc. as he has fished the Mulgrave since he was took off the nipple. Small hardbodies like Cultiva Mirashads and Bandit's work well.

Enjoy the trip! Plenty of water in there at the moment! Pack Pfd's!

Theo
    TT

Re: Top Mulgrave River to Greenpatch - how far?

Thanks for the advice Theo.

Am heading to Tackleworld shortly. I'll ask for him.

We were thinking of heading up further to the crossing and throwing the boat in from there.

Should be fun.

I'll keep you posted.

Pazz