Thread: Logan Prawns

Ausfish Addict

Re: Logan Prawns

Quote Originally Posted by Beggsy View Post
    Hey Jaybee

Long time no hear.....
    How're you doing?

Beggsy
    Great thanks Beggsy how bout you, havent done much of anything in the past two years due to health, all coming good though, Been 18 months since my last fish, itching to get back into it tho.
    cheers
    Joe

Ausfish Addict

Quote Originally Posted by FISHAWN View Post
    Wouldn't mind having a go at those nets the yellow rain jacket crew were using with chain on bottom, bloody ell they can open up a net, would love to be able to throw like that !
    Also saw one bloke get a flathead then proceed to bite its head off !!!
    Couple of those guys actually sell the nets, don't waste ya money, they have poor stitching and tend to fall apart real quick. From what I have been told, the nets come from asia and they just add the top pocket. My brother makes his own from scractch with extra big pockets, and actally out work the others, there is more info on the size in the for sale if you would like more info, Not trying to sell you one, just the info, because, I don't think you will get him to make one this time of year while the prawns are on. :smiley:
    P.S. I beleive he taught Pero how to make them as well, if its the same guy.
    cheers
    Joe

Ausfish Addict

Quote Originally Posted by dspt69 View Post
    hey mate yeh i have one of those cheapo sounders thats in black and white and most of the time i think it is picking up debri rather than fish or prawns. its a lowrance basic model that they throw in with most boat packages and i'm not real sure as to what settings i should play with either. it would be great if there was somewhere you could go to take lessons on sounders. does anybody know of such a place? thanks
    Not real sure, however, I beleive the sound he has now was around the $400 mark, dual beam and reads to 1500 + feet, for the price colour sounders are really good value these days. Like most sounders though you really just need to take the time to learn how to read them. As i was saying earlier in the post, it would be good if some of the guys could take a minute for a photo of theirs when there are prawns on them. would make an interesting post. There was on on here a few years back which really blew out over time with all the different posts. Some guys put the photos of the shows, then the fish that were showing, was really interesting to read and look at.
    cheers
    Joe.

I don't know what the secret is about. The prawns have been at the powerlines for the past month. Doesn't even matter what time ur there either.

As for nets, a bit of hint for you first timers buying nets. A net with a 3.7 radious should have a circumference of around 23meters and enough mesh to open.
    I still don't get how you can get 6kg chain and 7kg chain and 4kg chain on the same net?. Lead is easy to do. maybe the pro's can answer this question.

There is no point getting a 12 foot net with 15 meters of led line ( it won't open).

you headin out this weekend bondy?

Quote Originally Posted by jaybee View Post
    Brother sent me some photos of his prawning, just wish he would send a feed, bit hard eating photos :grin: . He makes his own nets, with extra large pockets. :tongue:
    cheers
    Joe
    not much up the northern part of the bay just yet hope they come in as hard as the southern bay

Quote Originally Posted by bondy99 View Post
    Nope not heading out this weekend, net repair to be done.

I hope you do good this time, I'm sure you will.

i'll try my best. i'll only have myelf and the driver on the boat this time so there will be no excuse.

I'm going out for my first hit of the season in Southern Bay on Saturday, any tips on where to find the prawns this week ?

Thanks
    Craigie.

G'DAY bEGSY AND jAYBEE, been a while since we all had a fish at Cleveland point !!

Great effort there.
    Hope they hang around for a little while longer for my holidays.
    Prawns on the bbq....prawn skewers.....garlic prawns.....oh the list goes on!!!

Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

Finished a net for "Smithy" last night and told him where I was headed this morning.
    I got there 6am 'ish and first throw was an estimate of 4 litres. WOW, I thought!
    Lo and Behold, along comes Smithy.
    Pero how you goin?
    Great Smithy .Look at my esky! Thats my first throw!
    15 minutes later, I had my bag limit. I gave my last pocket of prawns to Smithy(about 2 litres of the 3 I hauled in.)
    5 minutes later Smithy had bagged out too.
    The sun had barely poked up and we were on our way home.
    Talk about "in the right place at the right time":grin: :grin: :grin: .!

Quote Originally Posted by Pero View Post
    Finished a net for "Smithy" last night and told him where I was headed this morning.
    I got there 6am 'ish and first throw was an estimate of 4 litres. WOW, I thought!
    Lo and Behold, along comes Smithy.
    Pero how you goin?
    Great Smithy .Look at my esky! Thats my first throw!
    15 minutes later, I had my bag limit. I gave my last pocket of prawns to Smithy(about 2 litres of the 3 I hauled in.)
    5 minutes later Smithy had bagged out too.
    The sun had barely poked up and we were on our way home.
    Talk about "in the right place at the right time":grin: :grin: :grin: .!

top effort mate. ended up with a few litres myself until the snag.

Quote Originally Posted by dspt69 View Post
    top effort mate. ended up with a few litres myself until the snag.
    "The Snag"
    Just letting you's know the same "Snag" has claimed, Pero's Bondy's and Dspt's net in a 7 day period.:grin:

Jaybee,
    Not good to hear about yr health mate - all good now?

Been about the same time for me too - buggered 2 discs in my neck and haven't fished for over a year now - dying to get back into it as it gets a bit better - might head down to the point over Winter for a feed of Tailor.....

Craigie - yeah mate - been a while...... need to do it again real soon!!

Ausfish Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Beggsy View Post
    Jaybee,
    Not good to hear about yr health mate - all good now?

Been about the same time for me too - buggered 2 discs in my neck and haven't fished for over a year now - dying to get back into it as it gets a bit better - might head down to the point over Winter for a feed of Tailor.....

Craigie - yeah mate - been a while...... need to do it again real soon!!
    Hey Beggsy, yep going through some lower back stuff myself, new disc fitted, will see how things pan out over the winter, never know, a feed of bream and squire could be on the cards at the old point, now i'm getting off topic Wonder how the old banana prawns will go as bait. Craigie will have to catch up mate, you still chasin muddies in your usual haunt?
    cheers
    Joe

Spent last Saturday rounding up a few prawns around Logan/Jacobs Well. Put in a solid half day for 4- 5 kg's between 2 of us. Was a bit of a slog but certainly not a failure !!
    Yes Beggsy, some good Bream in your old haunt as well. You Still got the famous rod holders )on the wood) ?
    No Jaybee, have not hit the muddies for a while but I might have to now that you have jogged my memory.
    Hope you both are on the mend, a bad back/necks can realy slow us down !!

Regards
    Craigie.